School & Teen Events 2016 High School Homecoming (Colorado)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
View: https://youtu.be/fUtS1jgEWdw

Here is the link to the gig log. We used a GoPro 4 Session, and a canon dslr for recording. The audio came out not as even as I would like but my friend offered to use the go pro, and we used that for most of the recording. I will be making a shorter 30 second "promotional" video from this event with background music so hopefully it will be better. Filming we need to improve but as always, constructive criticism is always accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/url][/size][/i]

Thanks for posting the gig-log, nice work! If I could make a couple suggestions... With that lighting rig, you could easily use two lengths of I truss and two Global ST-132 stands which weigh in at just 55 lbs each. and hold 220 lbs. 20 feet of I truss weighs just 36 lbs compared to 84 lbs for 20' of box. Your lighting barely weighs anything. You could purchase the whole thing for very little money since I truss is way cheaper than box and perfectly suited for that application. Plus, it takes up very little room to transport. :)

The Intim 255's look super bright. Are you happy with them?

View: https://youtu.be/fUtS1jgEWdw

Here is the link to the gig log. We used a GoPro 4 Session, and a canon dslr for recording. The audio came out not as even as I would like but my friend offered to use the go pro, and we used that for most of the recording. I will be making a shorter 30 second "promotional" video from this event with background music so hopefully it will be better. Filming we need to improve but as always, constructive criticism is always accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/url][/size][/i]

Looks like you guys did an awesome job, and had fun doing it!

What was the Tequila remix you played? The dubstep-ish break on it was super cool. I've heard that before, but never figured out which remix it is.

Reactions: ittigger
Thanks for posting the gig-log, nice work! If I could make a couple suggestions... With that lighting rig, you could easily use two lengths of I truss and two Global ST-132 stands which weigh in at just 55 lbs each. and hold 220 lbs. 20 feet of I truss weighs just 36 lbs compared to 84 lbs for 20' of box. Your lighting barely weighs anything. You could purchase the whole thing for very little money since I truss is way cheaper than box and perfectly suited for that application. Plus, it takes up very little room to transport. :)

The Intim 255's look super bright. Are you happy with them?

Our lights weight less than 70 lbs collectively. You are 100% correct in that an I-beam truss would serve us perfectly. I was looking into those cranks stands actually and we want to save some money to buy them. It is $592 on idjnow with 2 of those stands, 2 cases, the t-bars, and 2 truss adapters. Not bad considering they go up to 13 feet. We have a two 5 foot sections of I-beam truss with stands that we use for weddings and smaller gigs and you are correct on the ease of transport of I-beam. I Like the look of box truss personally, but thanks for the suggestion. When we can purchase the stands and truss, we will look into the I-beam as well now.

I love the 255's. At $600 per light, it's the cheapest and brightest "name brand" moving head I came across with a 2 year warranty. The servos are quick, easy set up, good mounting hardware, removable gobo wheel, and the 3 facet prism makes the light seem a lot bigger to cover more area. It's a lot of light coming out of a small package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you guys did an awesome job, and had fun doing it!

What was the Tequila remix you played? The dubstep-ish break on it was super cool. I've heard that before, but never figured out which remix it is.

Thank you! It was a blast.

The song is called "Takillya" by Vinnie Maniscalco. I have played it at the 3 school dances I have done, and every time it shocks the kids and is a huge hit! It's awesome. I usually skip the intro since it is bass heavy and go to the part where the old tequila track starts so the drop is more surprising.

I'd love to buy this, but I cannot find it at Amazon, I Tunes or You Tube.

Through SoundCloud, I found a free download. Also, in VDJ, you can pay for the "content unlimited" subscription and it has access to a lot of songs, and it can pull the audio from YouTube videos directly within the software and you can cache it. It has paid off from not having to pay for "one off" songs customers request for weddings specifically.

Reactions: So Cal Hugh
I tried to 'Follow' the artist on SoundCloud and everything but I can't download it, keeps looping back. :(

If I remember correctly, it was very frustrating with the download from SoundCloud. I believe it took me quite a few times before it worked and with some dumb luck I got it. Let me know if it doesn't work still.

If you go to the link I posted and select Dowload (near upper right) you need to create a SOundCloud account or link to a Facebook or Google account .. I used Google since it has little info. Eventually got to download.

If you don't mind a little constructive criticism...........ditch the first 7 minutes of this video. Seeing a selfie stick shot, inside your house, and with a bunch of guys in t-shirts is not doing you any favors in making you look like a professional outfit. I would especially urge you to ditch that shot of you pulling out of the driveway with a flatbed trailer and particle board sides. Put on some matching, business-casual clothing, monogrammed shirts preferable, and record a quick 30-second intro, telling where you're going and what you'll be doing (with a decent backdrop). Then, pick it up at the part of rolling those nice-looking cases into the venue. The big rig shots and you guys in action are working for you, but keep it brief and to the point. Finish out the video with a quick review of the evening and dissolve to a nice graphic. My opinion, the good points could help you, tremendously, in selling this to larger gigs. The bad points are killing it for you.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

A new nickname is born ...

If you don't mind a little constructive criticism...........ditch the first 7 minutes of this video. Seeing a selfie stick shot, inside your house, and with a bunch of guys in t-shirts is not doing you any favors in making you look like a professional outfit. I would especially urge you to ditch that shot of you pulling out of the driveway with a flatbed trailer and particle board sides. Put on some matching, business-casual clothing, monogrammed shirts preferable, and record a quick 30-second intro, telling where you're going and what you'll be doing (with a decent backdrop). Then, pick it up at the part of rolling those nice-looking cases into the venue. The big rig shots and you guys in action are working for you, but keep it brief and to the point. Finish out the video with a quick review of the evening and dissolve to a nice graphic. My opinion, the good points could help you, tremendously, in selling this to larger gigs. The bad points are killing it for you.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the advice. I will be absorbing it.

Some background info as to why I did the video that way. This gig log is more for our enjoyment, and to get footage for 30 second "promo" clips to use for school dance clients. I have been watching a lot of gig logs on YouTube and copied their general format. I agree with the professionalism is not there at all in the video, because the main purpose was to have fun with the video. We are learning still, and I am blessed that I can do this on the side as a hobby. The next video we do we will focus more on a professional angle, but I was more focused on the details of the gig since we have never done a production that big.

The trailer shot now looking at it again does look...sketchy to say the least [emoji51]. It is a sturdy trailer and we weren't scared of the trailer breaking, but in a video it looks like it will break after a speed bump. I do appreciate the feedback! It doesn't fall of deaf ears. I am no expert so the more I can learn the better off I will be.

Thanks for the advice. I will be absorbing it.

My pleasure, just trying to help. To be totally transparent, after reviewing your vid, it made me realize that I should go back to making these myself, and taking my own production advice in the process. Walking a prospect through your process and showing them the end results that they can expect on their own event, is powerful stuff. Good luck with your biz.

I really appreciate that exchange. A combination of helpful feedback that was well received without offensive remarks or defensiveness... It's tough to be open to feedback, and tough to give it in a tactful way. But that was excellent on both sides.

It may sounds like a silly thing, but that type of exchange is part of why I came to this board.

My pleasure, just trying to help. To be totally transparent, after reviewing your vid, it made me realize that I should go back to making these myself, and taking my own production advice in the process. Walking a prospect through your process and showing them the end results that they can expect on their own event, is powerful stuff. Good luck with your biz.

Thank you! I may be able to salvage the footage and make the video a little different to follow the path you described. I will mess with it here in the next few days.

Reactions: ittigger
I really appreciate that exchange. A combination of helpful feedback that was well received without offensive remarks or defensiveness... It's tough to be open to feedback, and tough to give it in a tactful way. But that was excellent on both sides.

It may sounds like a silly thing, but that type of exchange is part of why I came to this board.

I appreciate these exchanges a lot too. I find it annoying when both the feedback provider and feedback receiver act immaturely resulting in a long exchange that has nothing to do with becoming better at what we do. It is tough to take feedback, but I learned that as long as I don't take it personally, I can learn a lot and actually get better. It's a wonderful thing.