240 GB SSD Drive - $69

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Good thing its not Tigger Direct.

:)
Yes... that is a good thing (LOL).

The cost of the SSD is $89, which is a very good deal, but to get the $69 price you have to apply for the $20 rebate. I prefer the instant savings... rebates are a pain in the butt. Most people never apply for the rebates and the manufacturers count on that, which is why they do rebates instead of discounts.

I just bought a 250GB Crucial SSD from Amazon.com for $109. This is a better deal. Mine won't be here until Friday... more than two weeks from the day I ordered (aargh)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for my $150 512Gb SSD .. I know it will hit soon.

Reactions: Dan The Man
I have things like that Wes .. I have 2 WD 2Tb My Passport Ultra external drives (and a Samsung 4Tb one). The SSDs would replace the main laptop drive and speed up nearly everything, including OS loading, swapping, etc. .. the externals don't do that.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I don't think you'd see the increase in speed that you think you'd see.
Maybe not for heavy thrashing apps (as I hear write speeds aren't as good as read), but for booting up, loading programs .. the one's I've seen are extremely fast.

Reactions: ittigger
I think as time goes on and the technology matures, you'll see more realistic 'extremely fast' things. Right now, it's not ready. Also, Win10 has not been doing too well with some of them.

I finally got my 250GB SSD drive in the mail today. It was shipped by UPS and took 9 days to get to Oklahoma from Georgia. Shipping it by covered wagon would have been faster. UPS does this all the time... they ship it to another location, then put it in the US mail for delivery. Why don't they just put it in the mail from the first location? It went to Carrollton Texas where it was then mailed to Oklahoma City. Below is the tracking info...
ry%3D480.jpg
^^^^ This is just crazy! At least I got it and I'm in the process of cloning the disk from my HTPC to it now. Unfortunately, the source disk had errors, which caused the cloning process to fail. So now I have to get those fixed before the cloning process will work (geez). I wish I had taken the time to do that while I was waiting for the SSD to get here. Oh well... next time.:laugh:

I finally got my 250GB SSD drive in the mail today. It was shipped by UPS and took 9 days to get to Oklahoma from Georgia. Shipping it by covered wagon would have been faster. UPS does this all the time... they ship it to another location, then put it in the US mail for delivery. Why don't they just put it in the mail from the first location? It went to Carrollton Texas where it was then mailed to Oklahoma City. Below is the tracking info...
ry%3D480.jpg
^^^^ This is just crazy! At least I got it and I'm in the process of cloning the disk from my HTPC to it now. Unfortunately, the source disk had errors, which caused the cloning process to fail. So now I have to get those fixed before the cloning process will work (geez). I wish I had taken the time to do that while I was waiting for the SSD to get here. Oh well... next time.:laugh:
It's called "Sure Post" I believe. The idea is the that the UPS does most of the legwork then hands it off to the USPS for endpoint delivery. The USPS charges UPS a lot less than they'd charge you or me to ship the same package directly through them. Not sure where the profit is for them, TBH. I guess the UPS saves some money by not having their drivers make extra stops and the USPS picks up some money by doing pre-sorted end point delivery to some place they're already going?

Any Sure Post packages I get are delivered directly to my local Post Office which just happens to be downstairs from me. When I'm expecting a Sure Post package and see the UPS truck drop off a load of packages an hour later I'm downstairs looking for my stuff. Usually they have my package on the counter by the time I make it from the PO Boxes to the desk. :) Say what you will about postal workers but all the ones I've ran into locally have been very nice.

FedEx has a similar service. I think they call it "Smart Post".

I have a beef with UPS. When my regular driver isn't on the substitute is to lazy to run my regular UPS packages (Ground, 2nd Day air, etc) upstairs and delivers them to the PO instead. This is irksome only because my PO closes from 1-2:30 daily and usually that's the time I'm heading out. If I don't get back before 5 I don't get my package until the next day.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat