Radio DJs A Sad State

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ausumm

Gold Plated Productions
Oct 21, 2008
Bethlehem PA
Looking at the dates and the frequency of the posts here...

is a perfect example of the sad state of radio these days.

Reactions: 1 person
Looking at the dates and the frequency of the posts here...

is a perfect example of the sad state of radio these days.
Mike, what exactly do you do at the Radio Station?

Tig- Most radio stations have cut their staff DRASTICALLY.
That fact is even more obvious (to me) when I see how few posts are on the RADIO DJ section.

Canute- I have been the Production Director since 1984.
(I write, create, voice and produce all commercials on our 4 stations)
I have also been on air since 1982.
I am not currently on air, as I was replaced by a "generic" voice talent to save money.

Reactions: 5 people
Mike I know, Here in Toronto we have it a little better. we do have some good morning shows and some great sports radio. Not so much talk radio. We have better morning TV that inform better and then their 24 hr local all news channel takes over.

The "AUSUMM HOUR"

Reactions: 3 people
I listen to it all. Radio, XM, CD, mp3 players, etc.

Interesting...

I'm guess I'm sorta like the gynecologist. The last thing you want to do when get home from the office, is look at your lovely wife's winkette.

Music is my job, not my pleasure much. I have to be in the proper mood to want to listen to it now. I'll go see a good band any day of the week, but I hear recorded music all day long when programming, and it gets on yer nerves.

Mike...have you considered starting your own web radio station? Not sure whats involved there but given your background it seems you could make it work well.

As much as I enjoy my career path. I do it for the money!
Web stations aren't any better at making money, so the time I would have to invest would NOT be worth it.
Besides, who wants to work all day at McDonalds, and then come home an eat a Big Mac?

Just curious -- who actually listens to the radio anymore?

That's exactly why radio is in a "sad state". Smart phones, Ipods, mp3 players in vehicles, and web music services are killing it.
Fortunately, we have some very dedicated listeners (mostly older pre-mp3 people) who keep us alive.
And there is something to be said for local information, like traffic reports, weather updates, breaking news, etc.

I run a top 40 station and I can tell you there is no lack of younger listeners or older for that matter. The key is being local. Traffic, weather, giveaways, through social media, etc. Contrary to popular belief just having someone sit in a studio isn't being local. Many jocks complain about all the voice tracking going on but their show is no more local than the one piped in from (insert state here)

My MP3 player plays over the FM band if that helps any.

Seriously, I cannot stand radio between all the ads and the yappy DJs in the morning I don't even bother turning it on anymore. I used to turn it on for school closings and stuff like that in the winter now all the school's have websites with the information.

Reactions: 2 people
my mp3 player plays over the fm band if that helps any.

Seriously, i cannot stand radio between all the ads and the yappy djs in the morning i don't even bother turning it on anymore. I used to turn it on for school closings and stuff like that in the winter now all the school's have websites with the information.

so....it's your fault!!!!

Honestly I haven't listened to the radio for an eternity, mp3's just made it easier to have more music and less talk in the car. Next move for me is upgrading to a receiver that takes DVD's and I'm set for driving anywhere.

Reactions: 2 people
During the day, I tend to listen to talk radio/news. Occasionally I'll listen to new music to keep abreast of what's popular, But being a mobile DJ, I get my fill.

In my freetime, I'd rather not get overloaded with hearing the same crap over & over, I'd rather hear what's going on in the world. (news, sports, etc)

i have a weekly interview show on one of our local npr stations. we've got good listenership and our local talk/interview programs are popular because they're hyperlocal. i just started an online livestreaming show, which airs immediately after my radio show.

Reactions: 4 people