Radio DJs A Sad State

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
During the day, I tend to listen to talk radio/news. Occasionally I'll listen to new music to keep abreast of what's popular, But being a mobile DJ, I get my fill.

In my freetime, I'd rather not get overloaded with hearing the same crap over & over, I'd rather hear what's going on in the world. (news, sports, etc)

Pretty much the same here, Bill. Except I "rarely" listen to music on the radio as I can't stand the repetition and the inane banter from the "announcers." I find myself listening to a local News/Talk station and our local NPR for news (I have no interest in sports...I know, I'm a commie!;) ) YMMV

I do a lot with radio stations, and was offered a position at a local Atlanta station, I really had no interest, but to gain access to the decision makers, I interviewed. It's disgusting!

The Jocks pre-track their shows 3 days ahead of time, including recycled call in requests, and drop -in bytes to keep it relevant. It's funny to stand in a studio, and listen to the live feed, hearing a jock chattering away, and see the seat empty, and see the software plugging away, while the DJ is off sleeping, or playing play station, or whatever DJs do.

I haven't listened to regular radio in years, with the exception of talk radio. Pandora is all I listen to. And for $2 a month I was able to get rid of commercials, and Deejays. problem solved!

Hell, I get a better feed of local stations on I Heart radio than I get off air. Radio is on it's last legs...

I'm sure it'll stick around in some form or another, but I think we're gonna' see a major overhaul of the radio industry in the next 10 years.

Reactions: 2 people
It all started in the early 80's when FCC Chairman Mark Fowler started the process of deregulation and the industry has been "fowlered up" ever since. I find myself fortunate to still be in the biz and with a company that is still pretty much under control of radio people and not so much Wall Street or venture capital.

It's going to be just a matter of time before the mega-owners come crashing down due to debt load and their own lack of knowledge of what radio is really supposed to be and do, an entity that is a public trustee of the airways they use that is to serve the public interest. IF you are correctly serving the public interest you will make money but not the obscene mega buck level their overpaid clueless and under delivering executives think they should get for something they over paid for in the first place.

Last edited:
I do a lot with radio stations, and was offered a position at a local Atlanta station, I really had no interest, but to gain access to the decision makers, I interviewed. It's disgusting!

The Jocks pre-track their shows 3 days ahead of time, including recycled call in requests, and drop -in bytes to keep it relevant. It's funny to stand in a studio, and listen to the live feed, hearing a jock chattering away, and see the seat empty, and see the software plugging away, while the DJ is off sleeping, or playing play station, or whatever DJs do.

I haven't listened to regular radio in years, with the exception of talk radio. Pandora is all I listen to. And for $2 a month I was able to get rid of commercials, and Deejays. problem solved!

Hell, I get a better feed of local stations on I Heart radio than I get off air. Radio is on it's last legs...

I'm sure it'll stick around in some form or another, but I think we're gonna' see a major overhaul of the radio industry in the next 10 years.

That's part of the whole issue. We've lost more than HALF of our staff (not just jocks), so everyone who is left now has to carry the duties of the three other people who used to do those jobs. And that is the reason most of the shifts are farmed out or recorded in advance.
And by the way, the "major overhaul" is well underway. Started 5 years ago. This is the new future of the biz.

Reactions: 4 people
As much as I enjoy my career path. I do it for the money!
Web stations aren't any better at making money, so the time I would have to invest would NOT be worth it.
Besides, who wants to work all day at McDonalds, and then come home an eat a Big Mac?

That's exactly why radio is in a "sad state". Smart phones, Ipods, mp3 players in vehicles, and web music services are killing it.
Fortunately, we have some very dedicated listeners (mostly older pre-mp3 people) who keep us alive.
And there is something to be said for local information, like traffic reports, weather updates, breaking news, etc.
What type of music gets played on those 4 radio stations you mentioned? If you want things to work at least one of those radio stations needs to feature music that the young kids and adults in the age range of 21 to 35 listens to. There was a great radio station that was around called jamming 105. It lasted almost 3 years I think. They played nothing but the older r & b music I grew up on. Great radio station to me.

They got bought out and are now called power 105 where they play today's hip hop and r & b that mainly the age groups I mention listen to. Someone mentioned to me that the reason why jamming 105 went off the air is because they didn't have a DJ to mix music on certain days and times. My one complaint I had with jamming 105 was they kept playing the same old stuff over and over. I just felt there many more songs they could have played on that station from back in the day instead of the exact same songs day in and day out.

Now think of how many businesses and companies that are cutting their staff to save money. Things are very tough for most right now because of the recession we're in which if things don't get better will lead us to another depression IMO. The reason why I think this country is in trouble because we're spending too much money on the war. I feel some of that money would be better spent at home and not on the war.

What type of music gets played on those 4 radio stations you mentioned? If you want things to work at least one of those radio stations needs to feature music that the young kids and adults in the age range of 21 to 35 listens to. There was a great radio station that was around called jamming 105. It lasted almost 3 years I think. They played nothing but the older r & b music I grew up on. Great radio station to me.

They got bought out and are now called power 105 where they play today's hip hop and r & b that mainly the age groups I mention listen to. Someone mentioned to me that the reason why jamming 105 went off the air is because they didn't have a DJ to mix music on certain days and times. My one complaint I had with jamming 105 was they kept playing the same old stuff over and over. I just felt there many more songs they could have played on that station from back in the day instead of the exact same songs day in and day out.

Now think of how many businesses and companies that are cutting their staff to save money. Things are very tough for most right now because of the recession we're in which if things don't get better will lead us to another depression IMO. The reason why I think this country is in trouble because we're spending too much money on the war. I feel some of that money would be better spent at home and not on the war.

Thanks for the response.
No offense, Mix...but I have worked here for more than 30-years.
I think I know how the radio industry works.
It's not a matter of a format change or the military budget...
it's advancement in technology that is making radio obsolete.

Sorry, Mike. When I listen to any radio, it's in the car, and then only national ESPN, specifically Mike & Mike and Colin Cowherd, or FOX sports radio, specifically Dan Patrick. Other than that, I prefer road noise.

Not saying that radio doesn't face challenges but here's some food for thought

ARBITRON has released highlights from its MARCH 2013 RADAR 116 National Radio Listening Report. The report shows radio’s audience increased year over year, adding more than 1.6 million weekly listeners. Radio now reaches 242.8 million listeners on an average weekly basis.

Teens aged 12 to 17 shows the largest gains among the major age demographics. Radio now reaches nearly 23 million teens in an average week. Radio listening also remains steady among Adults aged 18 to 34, reaching 66.5 million people, or 92%, in this demographic.

Thanks for the response.
No offense, Mix...but I have worked here for more than 30-years.
I think I know how the radio industry works.
It's not a matter of a format change or the military budget...
it's advancement in technology that is making radio obsolete.
My point was about giving the people what they want and not just what you want. Same as when DJing an event. It's not about me and what I want to play. It's what is going to make the client and their guest happy. That radio station I mentioned called Power 105 is not my cup of tea at all but that radio station is still in business and going strong.

The real truth as I see it is that songs can easily be down loaded from Youtube and kept on a HD. There's just so many ways for people to obtain music today that they don't have to listen to the radio to hear a song they want to hear. Besides through out the day how many times will a radio station play the same song.

Remember also many years ago there was no such thing as a person down loading a song. If you wanted a certain song or album you had to go to a store to buy it. Not any more. You can rarely find a store that sells CD's. Not unless it's a big chain store like Wal Mart, Best Buy or Target. No need for that any more when you can simply sit at your computer and get music the lazy way or nowadays the modern way.

I haven't been around as long as you Mike but here's my take....

Alot of the problem with radio is over the years it's become sterile there aren't that many interesting personalities just liner card jocks. The other part is the guys who couldn't make it in the business so they became consultants. The companies take their word as gospel.

Long before I worked in radio I was a listener and maybe I'm dead wrong but I know what I like i want to be entertained not talked to or sold. Prep is so easy nowadays and there is less being done

Reactions: 1 person
Where's Cousin Brucie when you need him...?

WABC. What always cracked me up, was when they would do a double take -- which means they had to go the the bathroom...

We had a cool station up in Poughkeepsie, K104. They used to do some weird pranks, like cleaning out your speakers and phones with air blasts from the station.

They're still operating, but I think they're mostly automated now...

It's advancement in technology that is making radio obsolete.

It's also starting to make what we do obsolete. OK...let the flaming begin...

But face it, technology does make earning a decent living as a DJ a lot harder.

It was much easier 20 years ago. We were almost the only ones who had a substantial music library.

Now, almost anyone can get one - legally or not.

No flaming from me.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been around as long as you Mike but here's my take....

Alot of the problem with radio is over the years it's become sterile there aren't that many interesting personalities just liner card jocks. The other part is the guys who couldn't make it in the business so they became consultants. The companies take their word as gospel.

Long before I worked in radio I was a listener and maybe I'm dead wrong but I know what I like i want to be entertained not talked to or sold. Prep is so easy nowadays and there is less being done

The lack of interesting personalities is not the CAUSE, but the result.
Stations are losing listeners to other technology (just as newspapers are)...
so the only way to save the profit margin is to pay one person to be a jock on many stations at the same time.
Since they are not local, and they need to appeal to a wide range of listeners in different states...
they are limited in their creativity.

Reactions: 3 people
My point was about giving the people what they want and not just what you want. Same as when DJing an event. It's not about me and what I want to play. It's what is going to make the client and their guest happy. That radio station I mentioned called Power 105 is not my cup of tea at all but that radio station is still in business and going strong.

The real truth as I see it is that songs can easily be down loaded from Youtube and kept on a HD. There's just so many ways for people to obtain music today that they don't have to listen to the radio to hear a song they want to hear. Besides through out the day how many times will a radio station play the same song.

Remember also many years ago there was no such thing as a person down loading a song. If you wanted a certain song or album you had to go to a store to buy it. Not any more. You can rarely find a store that sells CD's. Not unless it's a big chain store like Wal Mart, Best Buy or Target. No need for that any more when you can simply sit at your computer and get music the lazy way or nowadays the modern way.

That's what I have been saying from post #1.

But I have to disagree with you on some points.
1- It is NOT a problem with the music that we play. It is a problem with technology. You said it yourself in the last paragraph, Mix.
2- Your "Power 105" station that you "think" is doing well....is not doing any better than any other station. They belong to the same owners as my stations, so I know what they are going through. They were not "bought out"...they simply adjusted the format.

WABC. What always cracked me up, was when they would do a double take -- which means they had to go the the bathroom...

We had a cool station up in Poughkeepsie, K104. They used to do some weird pranks, like cleaning out your speakers and phones with air blasts from the station.

They're still operating, but I think they're mostly automated now...
K104 went to chit. Maybe I'm getting old but in between commercials the music they play is garbage.

… The lack of interesting personalities is not the CAUSE, but the result.
so the only way to save the profit margin is to pay one person to be a jock on many stations at the same time.
Since they are not local, and they need to appeal to a wide range of listeners in different states...

I have to disagree with your first statement—and, mind you, I'm only talking about the station I'm on. But what's happening with WNCU might be happening at other stations as well. The relatively new station manager is an attorney and not someone who knows and loves radio. She and the music director have the on-air folks do the absolute minimum when it comes to talking. They're only allowed to list the songs played every 20 minutes or so. Now, how much talent does that take? They are now SO boring I can't stand it. The DJs on WHPK (in Chicago, where I lived before moving to Durham) were amazing. They knew how to tell entertaining stories about the musicians whose music they played, but they knew how to get in and get out, so to speak. They were able to share their knowledge about the music and engage the listeners. Both stations, by the way, are jazz stations with loyal followings. I have a feeling we're losing our listeners, though. Not only are the on-air DJs not allowed to talk, but half of them are now voice-tracking. zzzzzzz! So, if you're a listener, and you want to ask about a song, you can't call and speak to anyone. The music director refuses to list the playlists on the website because she's jealously guarding them as our "brand." I don't think these people have a clue. To me, connecting with your audience is very important, but if you strive to "sound" automated, you're gonna end up automated (and out of a job).

Last edited:
The lack of interesting personalities is not the CAUSE, but the result.

It may be a little of both.....

Sure stations are losing listeners to technology but a guy voicetracking several markets should still have no excuse to be boring. There are dozens of free prep sheets out there most stations pay for at least one. There are entertainment stories on the wire and the internet is right in front of you. It's impossible for a guy voicetracking several markets to be local in all those markets which is important also but there's no reason every break has to be lame

- - - Updated - - -

Cousin Brucie is on Sirius 70s on 7

That's what I have been saying from post #1.

But I have to disagree with you on some points.
1- It is NOT a problem with the music that we play. It is a problem with technology. You said it yourself in the last paragraph, Mix.
2- Your "Power 105" station that you "think" is doing well....is not doing any better than any other station. They belong to the same owners as my stations, so I know what they are going through. They were not "bought out"...they simply adjusted the format.
No what they did is what some have done. They changed up on the type of music that was played there. It went from an oldies station to a top 40 station. Playing the latest music that a certain age group listens to. They just made the station a little cleaner then Hot 97 that is still on the air.

The question I have is how have certain radio stations been able to keep their same format for years? CBS FM 101 has kept their same format over the years. They play all different types of oldies from rock & roll to r & b. How do they get to do that? I listen to them quite often because they just don't do what a lot of the radio stations do around here and that is just go down a play list and play the same songs day in and day out. Every so often they will add few new songs so people don't get completely bored.

How does Mix manage to tell his same old story after all these years? :rolleyes:He should be off the air! :embarrassed:Wait, he is!!! He is here. :blob10:"pon de Internettttt!" :blob10:

No what they did is what some have done. They changed up on the type of music that was played there. It went from an oldies station to a top 40 station. Playing the latest music that a certain age group listens to. They just made the station a little cleaner then Hot 97 that is still on the air.

And THAT is called "adjusting the format"...

The question I have is how have certain radio stations been able to keep their same format for years? CBS FM 101 has kept their same format over the years. They play all different types of oldies from rock & roll to r & b. How do they get to do that? I listen to them quite often because they just don't do what a lot of the radio stations do around here and that is just go down a play list and play the same songs day in and day out. Every so often they will add few new songs so people don't get completely bored.

They get to do that because it's THEIR station. They can do whatever they think will attract the most listeners. Every station plays the same songs day in and day out. It's called a playlist. Some play a large variety of songs, some repeat the most popular ones every few hours. The oldies stations have a limited playlist, the new music formats add new music as it is released.

I'd really rather not continue to explain the basics of commercial radio.
I simply made a point about ow our clients listen to music these days.