Radio DJs A Sad State

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
She and the music director have the on-air folks do the absolute minimum when it comes to talking. They're only allowed to list the songs played every 20 minutes or so. Now, how much talent does that take? They are now SO boring I can't stand it.

It may be a little of both.....Sure stations are losing listeners to technology but a guy voicetracking several markets should still have no excuse to be boring. . It's impossible for a guy voicetracking several markets to be local in all those markets which is important also but there's no reason every break has to be lam

I am speaking from the experience of someone who works at a very large radio group.
Most of the guys who voicetrack, do it for WAY MORE stations than they can handle...
mainly because everyone is required to the job of many people.
If all you do for 8 hours a day is yap yap yap...it's gonna get boring.
You are correct, that they SHOULDN'T Be boring...but it's hard to have a passion for any one station,
when you 're doing assembly line work.
Our owners are not radio people, either. They are business people.
They could care less about quality, they only concern themselves with the bottom line.

Reactions: 2 people
Cousin Brucie is on Sirius 70s on 7

Shoot, the only radio I have is in my car -- and it's AM/FM.

Actually, I do have that boom box with the 8-track player -- but I don't think it gets satellite. I'll probably have to check and see if asshole brother threw the sat dish off the roof, along with my thousands of bucks worth of antennas (which he did throw away).

Maybe I can rig something up... Rough winter up here this year -- kinda hard to get anything accomplished, when you have snow every couple days. Ma Nature -- stop already -- yer starting to annoy the sh_t out of me. Don't make me call Uncle Vlad.

I'd really rather not continue to explain the basics of commercial radio.
I simply made a point about ow our clients listen to music these days.
You said the oldies stations are limited. Not all of them. CBS FM isn't limited and that is because they haven't boxed themselves in a corner only playing a certain style of music. For example they just don't play oldies rock and roll. They play that, disco, r & b along with other things too. So they leave a wide variety of music that different people like to listen to. They do one great thing for me big time. They play stuff I know I haven't heard in over 20 to 30 years. I'm talking when artist produced real music. A time when you had to really know how to sing to get a record deal. You also most of the time could easily hear the beginning of a song and right away knew who the artist was and for the most part the songs had real meaning. Not this commercial crap that is put out by a lot of artist today if you want to call them that.

A lot of artist today don't have their own original style. They just go along with what's popular and will make them a quick fast buck. So radio isn't as exciting today as it was back then and there are much more things that can get our attention. I remember and you will too when there was no such thing as TV staying on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Around 1am or so all TV stations went off the air until in the morning around 6am. All you would hear is a beeping sound with a pattern on the screen. So you wouldn't stay up to hear that and look at that pattern the rest of the night. Think of how many who've never know such a thing. Also you remember a time when most people didn't have a computer at home. Nowadays there are certain things if you want them taken care of you must use a computer or it won't get done. My how things have changed.

Some things for the better and some things just simply needed to stay the same so some things wouldn't be in the mess they are today.

Last edited: