Weddings Am I missing it...or are they?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
Wedding tonight, I was doing my photobooth.
The groom is the grandson of my neighbor, nephew of a lady that works for me - I knew 10-15 people at the wedding.

I've met this guy before, the hubby of the lady that works for me speaks highly of him - and he spoke highly of himself tonite before the start of things.

Hmm..B/G are country (he says they gave him a list 3 pages long of country songs), ALL bridesmaids and flower girls wore cowboy boots..B/G are MAYBE 23 years old, if that.

The first 40 minutes of open dancing NOTHING newer than 1971. A couple of mix/mashups. No slow songs at all for 67 minutes. I don't think there were any country songs after dinner till the money dance (amazed) and then a while later a slow set with patsy cline...really? A 55 year old song for a couple whose parents were toddlers when it came out?

Do YOU want to dance to your GRANDPARENTS music at your wedding?

He did spend 20 minutes later in the evening playing 30 seconds of each of the 'normal' dance music.. wobble/low/hot line bling/crank dat/shots and a few others...had a half full floor of sub 25 year olds...but really, only 30 seconds of each then fade to the next?

And he kept getting louder as the evening went on, almost too loud, then did a mash/mix of heavy metal followed by chicken dance and then metallica..at which time he turned down the volume (then did the songs above).

This is the second time this year that I've seen a DJ spend the first open dance period, or most of it, playing OLDIES. Not motown even.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
If you're referring to Crazy by Patsy Cline - it's a classic that 'country people' of all ages love. Just because someone is 23, doesn't mean they want 'modern' country.

Not sure what to say about the oldies but maybe that was requested. If the room was overwhelmed with older people, maybe he was trying to play to the crowd.

Wedding tonight, I was doing my photobooth.
The groom is the grandson of my neighbor, nephew of a lady that works for me - I knew 10-15 people at the wedding.

I've met this guy before, the hubby of the lady that works for me speaks highly of him - and he spoke highly of himself tonite before the start of things.

Hmm..B/G are country (he says they gave him a list 3 pages long of country songs), ALL bridesmaids and flower girls wore cowboy boots..B/G are MAYBE 23 years old, if that.

The first 40 minutes of open dancing NOTHING newer than 1971. A couple of mix/mashups. No slow songs at all for 67 minutes. I don't think there were any country songs after dinner till the money dance (amazed) and then a while later a slow set with patsy cline...really? A 55 year old song for a couple whose parents were toddlers when it came out?

Do YOU want to dance to your GRANDPARENTS music at your wedding?

He did spend 20 minutes later in the evening playing 30 seconds of each of the 'normal' dance music.. wobble/low/hot line bling/crank dat/shots and a few others...had a half full floor of sub 25 year olds...but really, only 30 seconds of each then fade to the next?

And he kept getting louder as the evening went on, almost too loud, then did a mash/mix of heavy metal followed by chicken dance and then metallica..at which time he turned down the volume (then did the songs above).

This is the second time this year that I've seen a DJ spend the first open dance period, or most of it, playing OLDIES. Not motown even.
Maybe he let the customer have too much say so in the playlist! In that case he made the financier happy, but could have relied on his experience to make the show better.

Or he just doesn't know how to hold a dance floor! Or maybe it was not a dance wedding? Maybe some people don't want a soul train break out at their wedding?

I did a show Wednesday for a teen production called the Exchange. Every time I got the dance floor popping,,,,,he would come over and ask me to make some change,,,,,and he caused me to drop the floor 3'times.

Then in the end he said " man you sure know how to get the crowd buzzing".

If he would have left me alone!!!!!!! They would have had to replace the fricken ceiling tiles in that place! Cause those kids would have been Tearing them out!

Then I think,,,,, it is my intention to have a dance at every event,,,,,,,maybe not the intent of the venue!

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
Were people dancing and having a good time? That's all that matters.

for the first 40 minutes..you'd have kids and maybe a mom of one. nothing else. cupid brought the people out of course, as did the slow dances.

Bride wants country..and maybe 3 or 4 songs in 3 hours were. He response at the beginning of the night " she gave me 3 pages of country songs and nothing is danceable" - I doubt that. He just doesn't know country songs, or wasn't willing to even try.

the heavy metal/chicken dance (polka) then metallica made no sense...even if someone reqested chicken dance - which did bring people out - then you stay with the idea - ymca, twist n shout, hokey pokey even if you don't want another polka, but to go BACK to the heavy metal that had 3 people on the floor? He claimed to be able to read a dance floor..maybe he left his reading glasses at home?

I typically open with the oldies portion of my set. But, that normally sounds like motown, a little disco, Aretha Franklin - Respect type stuff that guests of all ages will appreciate.

But very rarely/never is this being played to an empty dance floor.

That being said... I hate to judge a DJ when I don't know what instructions he was given. If he was trying to burn through a bunch of must plays early in the night, it might have been what he needed to do. At the end of the day, hopefully the couple was thrilled and loved the job he did. But it sounds like there was some funky programming for sure.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
It's hard to tell what the situation was for the DJ. With weddings I have noticed there is an 80/20 rule. 80% of the time or so Most weddings are very similar in music programming. The other 20% that status quo is changed usually due to the couple giving the DJ a long list, and telling the DJ to strictly play their music, or for the most part play their music but entertain a few guest requests here and there. Then there are the ones where they list do not plays, and sometimes the DNP list includes very popular songs such as LINE DANCES that people want to hear. All that stuff can alter the guest perception of the DJ's overall performance.

How well did he do as an announcer/MC?
Was the music blended well, or real sloppy mixing?

One thing I don't do is just play 30 seconds of a song and switch to the next for a whole set. 30 seconds is too short, and doesn't allow the dancers to get into the groove and enjoy each song. If I have a lot of songs to get through on a list, or a ton of requests and down to the last 20-30 minutes of the night, I may start doing 2 verses of each song, or 2 minutes or so. Other DJs may have a different opinion of that, but I find dancers have more fun when most or near all of every song is played...at least at weddings.

I have a 6 hour ceremony and reception today...The bride has about 15 country songs on her list...Most of the songs are newer songs though. She doesn't want any line dances, but says if I get guest requests she is fine if I play ONE line dance.

I did a 60th birthday party last night. The client send me a list of about 50 songs to play. Mostly oldies, and Motown. I played Ringo Starr last night, Bob Dylan, Contours, of course the temptations. A lot of sly and the family stone. Beatles, Rolling Stones. Of Course SHOUT and the TWIST. Lots of dancing. I got to play maybe about 7 or 8 newer pop songs and that was about it. Mostly 60s and 70s music era all nigh.

How well did he do as an announcer/MC?
Was the music blended well, or real sloppy mixing?
mixing seemed OK - no controller and he uses an expired (illegal?) copy of PCDJ..has to backdate the date on the PC for it to run...it's not even running full screen.

My opinion of MC is changing as I work thru the 1% Solution DVDs.

He's a FAMILY FRIEND, right? Lots of "Groom and mom will dance now" rather than NAMES. "Can I have the bride and groom come to the floor please!"... something better done by walking to get them or having a BM fetch them. (bride didn't dance much all night so I understand his plight)

Most of his announcement was muffled - good enthusiasm in his voice though.

I have a 6 hour ceremony and reception today...The bride has about 15 country songs on her list...Most of the songs are newer songs though. She doesn't want any line dances, but says if I get guest requests she is fine if I play ONE line dance.

I REALLY STRONGLY FORCEFULLY tell them I WILL play some line dances - their guests expect certain songs at a wedding, and if she HATES it then I'll give her a heads up before I play it and she can go outside!

So far that has been working 100%, but I do expect a bride at some point to put her foot down.

I did a 60th birthday party last night. The client send me a list of about 50 songs to play. Mostly oldies, and Motown. I played Ringo Starr last night, Bob Dylan, Contours, of course the temptations. A lot of sly and the family stone. Beatles, Rolling Stones. Of Course SHOUT and the TWIST. Lots of dancing. I got to play maybe about 7 or 8 newer pop songs and that was about it. Mostly 60s and 70s music era all nigh.

it's nice to get events where you can switch it up. Last november I did a HS reunion - class of 80, the year I graduated. Easy and fun to play .. all the music I grew up on!

I REALLY STRONGLY FORCEFULLY tell them I WILL play some line dances - their guests expect certain songs at a wedding, and if she HATES it then I'll give her a heads up before I play it and she can go outside!

I would equally strongly encourage you to reconsider that position... Maybe 1 in 10 of my couples tells me that they really do enjoy one of the line dances... but at 90% of the weddings I do, I won't touch them. I will never play them unless I've had a discussion with the bride and groom, and I always tilt towards avoid.

If you think they are an important part of your set - make sure you're sharing that with clients before they book you. I'd be really frustrated if I booked someone and then found out that they insist on the thing I hate most at weddings.

cupid shuffle, cha cha slide? I"ve had them on the 'no play' list..and I spend 1/2 my time telling guests 'the bride said no'...around here they are THE standard song, will fill the floor when nothing else will get people out of their seats, from ages 8 to 80, grade school dance, wedding, etc.

Elec slide last year was a floor killer..this year? Requested 1/2 the weddings I've done.

Wobble is 50/50 - some just don't know it.

Song's I don't usually play, but am changing my position on it are footloose, africa, sweet caroline...

Thing is, I was in a car of 12 year old girls a few months back. I was playing music and doing a 'name this band thing" and an Elvis song come on .. my daughter knew but the other 3 girls were "Who's Elvis?"

So yeah, I'm SURE they'll love Doris and Doo Wop! And other music that is to them THEIR GREAT GRANDPARENTS MUSIC!

Not sure how much times ahve change, but I REALLY doubt there is ANYTHING from your great grandparent's day that is 'the schnizzle' today. I mean, sick. Or whatever today's term is for groovy man.