Another DMX problem

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Jas

DJ Extraordinaire
May 22, 2013
I tried something different with my lighting Saturday. 1st, the reception ended at 10pm which is about the time the sun goes down. 2nd, with thunderstorms in the forecast there was a good chance that I would be inside rather than outside under a tent. I'm talking inside a house without much room, which is why my plan was to use only two fixtures on the floor pointed at the ceiling.

I had the lights set up and tested before guests arrived. Everything looked good. I cleaned up some wires that were right next to the DJ booth, gaffed them to the floor. Threw a couple of wiring bags under the table, so my area looked pretty clean.

Finally, got to the first dance and hit mouse for some lighting. Nothing happening, and not a good time to diagnose the problem. Anyway, it turned out that the bags I threw under the table yanked on the dmx cord, which was taped down. Tried different DMX cable and restarting freestyler but couldn't get it to work.

So, I kind of did what Rick Ryan was asking about - running the two lights randomly - except I ran them both in sound active mode. Even though they weren't flashing the same colors simultaneously, they were both going perfectly with the beat of the songs. Worked out pretty good for the rest of the night.

Now I'm at home I have the lights and program working. I know a lot of you run your lighting sound active but I've been doing DMX for so long that haven't tried it with these particular fixtures. I now have another lighting option for really small rooms.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
Try connecting the two lights in master slave mode. They should beat together as one (whatever the master is set).
I would have done that but I didn't want to get distracted from the music at that point. I kind of liked that the lights weren't doing the same colors but were still both in sync with the music. I've done the master/slave setup before but not with these particular fixtures.