Bar & Club Bar Hit With $45,000 Fine for “Pirated” Karaoke Songs.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Reading through, it sounded more like they didn't pay their performance licenses .. not that the music was "pirated" as the headline in the story said.

I ripped all 11,000 of my karaoke tunes and have all the discs. But this issue can still come up if the place I play doesn't pay the piper. I still wonder what sort of residual liability I have if a venue chooses not to pay the fees. Private party places are probably in the clear, but am I still culpable in a bar (though I don't lose sleep over it)?

No evidence that the karaoke music was "pirated" karaoke. BMI won the judgement because the venue has not been paying the performance fees.

No additional or separate karaoke license. Only thing is the karaoke companies have been more vigilant against pirated tunes than the record companies have.

As I read thru the different boards I mostly see that we, as DJ's can't purchase the lisc. That concerns me, since every place I have played, multiple schools, Convention Center and other buildings for weddings and private parties, none of them have any of these lisc. and all state it is the responsibility of the perfomer to have the proper (non-pirated music) and any lisc or credentials. All and I mean ALL of my music is purchased and mine, but I can't get a BMI lisc.

I would venture to say very few DJ's in this forum play at venues that have the lisc. What is legal???

Ray J.

As I read thru the different boards I mostly see that we, as DJ's can't purchase the lisc. That concerns me, since every place I have played, multiple schools, Convention Center and other buildings for weddings and private parties, none of them have any of these lisc. and all state it is the responsibility of the perfomer to have the proper (non-pirated music) and any lisc or credentials. All and I mean ALL of my music is purchased and mine, but I can't get a BMI lisc.

I would venture to say very few DJ's in this forum play at venues that have the lisc. What is legal???

Ray J.

Of those performing public events (i.e. bars), I'd venture to say you're wrong. Pretty much all of those places have the licensing paid or they get sued. For those of us doing strictly private events, the license does not apply.

The license appears to be strictly for "public" performances, so schools, weddings, home parties, etc. where the general public can't get in are pretty much excluded.

There are places I am still leery of (parks, town greens, etc.) where I don't know what the rule is, as they are publicly accessible. Bars/Restaurants are normally covered by the bar owners ... as they are they ones collecting the $$ .. there are situations that a DJ might have to get the license if they merely rent a place and do all the promotion and money collecting.

I guess the bottom line rule would be .. those that collect (either directly or indirectly ala food/alcohol) are the ones to get the license.

I've always wondered and have argued ad nauseam what is a private event. Public happens when you step outside your door so when you play an event that might only be invited guests is it really private?

Here's an example: Saturday night I was doing a wedding at a resort. There was another wedding in another room and a bachelor party there too. About a dozen guys from the bachelor party crashed the reception and a few guests from the other reception also made an appearance. The bride was surprisingly OK with all this but that's not the point. When they came in they were uninvited so technically then it wouldn't be a private event anymore.

Another example you are in a tent and the music can be heard by someone say 1000 ft away is it still private?

I know I'm being picky on it but who says the powers that be wouldn't be

I've always wondered and have argued ad nauseam what is a private event. Public happens when you step outside your door so when you play an event that might only be invited guests is it really private?

Here's an example: Saturday night I was doing a wedding at a resort. There was another wedding in another room and a bachelor party there too. About a dozen guys from the bachelor party crashed the reception and a few guests from the other reception also made an appearance. The bride was surprisingly OK with all this but that's not the point. When they came in they were uninvited so technically then it wouldn't be a private event anymore.

Another example you are in a tent and the music can be heard by someone say 1000 ft away is it still private?

It's still private, as they had no innate right to be there .. they were basically invited by the bride (as should could have had them removed).

Like you said Steve I don't lose sleep over it :)

Reactions: 2 people
There is no such thing as a private event, unless you have it at your house.

The bartender waiters and waitresses were not invited by YOU.

As Jeff mentioned, if someone can hear the music, it is also no longer private.

I don't suspect any of you will go to jail tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time, before the gov.t needs a new revenue stream....

Ray J.
DJs can get Licenses if the event is their own, meaning that they are promoting it for themselves

- - - Updated - - -

Every scenario you just quoted falls under a Private Event!

Reactions: 1 person
DJs can get Licenses if the event is their own, meaning that they are promoting it for themselves

- - - Updated - - -

BS Cap -- you are making up sh_t to fit you needs.

BTW, what happened to tractor and trailer -- did they fall off the truck on the way here? Should I trust you at this point...?

- - - Updated - - -

BS Cap -- you are making up sh_t to fit you needs.

BTW, what happened to tractor and trailer -- did they fall off the truck on the way here? Should I trust you at this point...?

Once again Rick(y) you are incorrect.

A dj can get a license from BMI/ASCAP/SESAC if they are the promoter of an event at a location that does not otherwise require a license. However, it is a "temporary" license.

In the eyes of BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, a "public" event is one where the venue owner, management, promoter(s), or organizer(s) stands to profit, via cover charge or bar/food sales, because they have some type of music entertainment that is contracted with BMI/ASCAP/SESAC.
- If you own a bar that has live bands that only does their "original", non contracted works, you DO NOT need to pay BMI/ASCAP/SESAC.

A wedding reception (as described above, whether anyone outside of the invited guest can hear) IS a private event if it is held in a venue/location that otherwise would not be subject to BMI/ASCAP/SESAC fees. The venue is going to get paid whether you have a DJ or band.

If the host does not ask any "crasher's" to leave, they become an invited guest.
The bartender, cook, waitstaff, busboy, etc. are hired staff, not invited guest, and will be paid regardless if there is any type of "contracted" entertainment.

Quite often, the smarter guys are not the 'correct' ones and the correct ones are not the 'smart' ones.

Einstein was really stupid in some areas. Some people would think common sense would have prevailed.

Reactions: 1 person
How much do these lisc. cost. There is a new DJ in my area, pretty nice guy. He plays Karaoke and music in small local bars 3 nights a week and host some pay at the door events for teens at a local venue. I know he doesn't have any BMI/ASCAP lisc, and doubt very much the bars and venue he plays in do either.

Ray J.

Being smart and being correct are 2 different things.

Not sure I could agree, or disagree on that... May have to watch another episode of Justified to figure that out...

I've watched the series 7 times now -- only eclipsed by Hogan's Heros at about 20. If you ever want know any trivia, feel free to ask :)

Reactions: IceBurghDJ