Bit The Biggy - Two 2TB Samsung EVO-850 SSDs Installed In Laptop

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Cap Capello

Always @ Ur Service
ODJT Supporter
Dec 14, 2006
Saratoga, NY
www.imadj.com
Dell Latitude E6530 got a steroidal boost today. Added two 2TB internal SSD drives. MS Index rates the r/w io of the drives at 7.9 while the 16gb of D3 RAM is rated at 6.9. The drives are out performing ram. Who'd ever thunk that'd ever happen???

Pushing the boundaries ...

One replaces a 1TB WD Black Hybrid (80GB C: while all the rest is D: drive partitions). The other replaces a 2TB 5400 rpm Toshiba (E: drive, 100% .mp4 videos) . I am looking for a considerable performance increase with VDJ software video playback.

Reactions: ittigger
I did that in one of my MBP's as one of my old drives dies. I used Raid 0 on mine. Drive throughput around 948MB/s. I'll screenshot my Blackmagic benchmark.

A Little bummed though as I was waiting for the 4TB Evo's to go below $1000 and get two, because I am carrying around 3TB of music and video, but when one of my 2TB seagate HDD's died, I had to buy something.

At some point, doesn't it get cheaper with a cloud based storage system and a good data plan?

Not in the Pocono mtn region where there is no service in a few venues. Also the speed differencence when streaming a music video compared to having it on an internal ssd.
I wouldn't stream, but keeping the bulk of your library in the cloud (Box, DropBox, etc.) and downloading requests. Would seem a single 2Tb drive (or 2 1Tb) would hold most of what you normally play, required stuff, and Top 100 stuff. Just an alternative to dual $1000 drives.

It most likely would. I have two matches MacBook pros with my entire library on them. Then I have an iPad which has every song I played since 2011 on it as a third backup, and it only takes about 80GB, but I like to have everything at my finger tips in the event someone requests that one song. Especially if that request would come from the Bride or groom.

I'm a little old school in the fact that I like to keep everything internal. I also have a 4TB thunderbolt drive for each laptop which is a clone of the internal drives in case of drive failure. I can boot directly from the thunderbolt drives if I had to.

No issues with the big drives .. 1 put a 1Tb SSD and a 2Tb standard drive in one laptop and have a 500Gb SSD and 2Tb drive in the other .. just a bit expensive for the .003% of the time it's needed.

Not needed but 12 second boot up time, and millisecond launch times for VDJ is appreciated. Especially if needed after a crash

PS Cap congratulations on the upgrade. And sorry I seem to be hijacking your thread. I love my Evos and I am sure you will as well.
One question. Why didn't you raid them into one big volume? I know the standard answer is if you lose a drive then your dead in the water. But if you lose your primary drive your dead in the water anyway. We all have backups anyway, right? I also hear the argument that Raid 0 is twice as likely to fail. But in reality the math says a Raid 0 is twice as likely to fail because with two drives either can fail. But if one of the drives were to fail. It would do so regardless if it is in Raid or not.

One question. Why didn't you raid them into one big volume?
Good question, DJ Stevie Ray. My reasoning has nothing to do with reliability and MTBF.

My main drive is always two partitions ( C & D ) . The C: drive partition (80gb, that's it) contains only the OS, programs and system files... no data. The D: drive partition contains My Documents, My Music, My "this and that", et al. Everything on D: can be maintained and copied using an incremental drive sync program. Everything on C: is cloned using Acronis. If it were all one drive, cloning would take 20x more time.

I carry the replaced 2 1/2" WD Black hard drive with me and can swap internal hard drives if needs be quickly, however it would be only if my other three backup laptops pooped the bed first.