Bose L1 Model ii vs RCF Evox 8...which system can handle larger events effectively?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
One of the problems that almost always comes up in a Bose thread is when people start to give them mystical/magical attributes. They operate according to the Laws of Physics, just like every other loudspeaker does. In the case of the L1 MKII, it has the radiation pattern of a line source, an excellent solution for many, but not all, setups. My personal criticism of the speaker is that in a real world DJ situation, if it is on the same floor as the dancers (i.e. not on a stage), and the floor is full of dancers, the speakers in the lower half of the column are too low.

In use on an elevated stage, set up behind a group of musicians (so it's as far from the audience as possible), it is truly excellent, plus it is less prone to microphone feedback.

For all of the high reviews I see online about these systems, YOU are scaring me right out of considering a system! I have the EVOX 8 and it works beyond fine and in most conditions, so... not sure this is up my alley!
Thank you!

I also have the EVOX 8 speakers and they are fabulous, but I must admit that I had been given some very serious thought about getting a BOSE L1, Model 2 system for those smaller gigs.

That's interesting - I just bought a set of EVOX 8 speakers to use for those smaller gigs. The Bose system, even just one of them, is way more cumbersome and takes longer to set up (exactly what you don't need at smaller gigs).

That's interesting - I just bought a set of EVOX 8 speakers to use for those smaller gigs. The Bose system, even just one of them, is way more cumbersome and takes longer to set up (exactly what you don't need at smaller gigs).

Okay, anymore reasons to not consider BOSE?

My personal criticism of the speaker is that in a real world DJ situation, if it is on the same floor as the dancers (i.e. not on a stage), and the floor is full of dancers, the speakers in the lower half of the column are too low.

Little people deserve high fidelity too !! .. :)

One of the problems that almost always comes up in a Bose thread is when people start to give them mystical/magical attributes. They operate according to the Laws of Physics, just like every other loudspeaker does. In the case of the L1 MKII, it has the radiation pattern of a line source, an excellent solution for many, but not all, setups. My personal criticism of the speaker is that in a real world DJ situation, if it is on the same floor as the dancers (i.e. not on a stage), and the floor is full of dancers, the speakers in the lower half of the column are too low.

In use on an elevated stage, set up behind a group of musicians (so it's as far from the audience as possible), it is truly excellent, plus it is less prone to microphone feedback.

I've heard of people talking about these threads mentioning magical properties, yet I've never seen one.

I've always wanted to see one.

Are they perfect? No

Magical? Hardly

Awesome? For sure

Is it ideal to be up close to the dancers on the same level? No

Do they still sound great when they are on the same level as the dancers? Yes, Sounds excellent

If needed, I run 2 and put one Wirelessly on the other side of the room.

For me, worth every penny and hold their value better than any system I've ever owned.

I always run mono. And have back up.

I've never set up an Evox system. I set up 1 model 2 all the time. It's really really easy. For me, it's easier than setting up 2 speaker poles, 2 speakers, running 2 power cords and 2 cables . I'd be interested to see how it's way more cumbersome.

For small gigs, I use a compact.

For all of the high reviews I see online about these systems, YOU are scaring me right out of considering a system! I have the EVOX 8 and it works beyond fine and in most conditions, so... not sure this is up my alley!
Thank you!

If you already have the evox and are happy with it, then I think you should stick with them and just keep adding more units as needed.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Evox 12; more power for a slightly larger crowd 200-300, in my opinion. However, the draw back is that it is a bit heavier than the Evox 8. And, you have a third piece of gear to take to the DJ mobile.

Reactions: Scott Hanna

I will give you a FOR argument. Bose is the only sound system brand that I've ever had a Bride recognize. If played correctly, that name can help you close some sales. The sleek look also lands points with some planners and certainly with brides.

As for performance, I've used a single L1 M2 to cover some very wide rooms. With dual B1 subs, I do notice a significant drop-off of bottom end at about the 50ft mark. When I do use the L1 these days I always pair it with one of my Yorkie LS801p subs. That is an absolute killer of a system.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Evox 12; more power for a slightly larger crowd 200-300, in my opinion. However, the draw back is that it is a bit heavier than the Evox 8. And, you have a third piece of gear to take to the DJ mobile.

I think once you move from the EVOX 8 to the EVOX 12, the Bose L1 M2 becomes a direct comparison (and close in pricing) .. since you lose the packability of the EVOX 8. At that point, I would prefer separates for the flexibility and the ability to use the top only for certain purposes. It's the reason I keep my eye on the combination of the db Technologies Ingenia IG2T tops over a pair of RCF 705 AS II (or maybe a different pair of (8"-12" tops). The reason I love the EVOX is the weight and size for the given performance.

You know, for all this talk of backup, I don't know why I keep thinking you'd have to have a 2nd L1 rig. Why not just keep 1 or 2 cheap Alto speakers with you? That could serve perfectly well as a fill-in, in case the L1 bit the dust during an event.
Heresy !!

Reactions: dunlopj
You know, for all this talk of backup, I don't know why I keep thinking you'd have to have a 2nd L1 rig. Why not just keep 1 or 2 cheap Alto speakers with you? That could serve perfectly well as a fill-in, in case the L1 bit the dust during an event.

If you have to carry that much gear for backup why bother with a light system. Just my humble opinion but if you are going to have one Bose have 2 and bam there's your backup

I've never set up an Evox system. I set up 1 model 2 all the time. It's really really easy. For me, it's easier than setting up 2 speaker poles, 2 speakers, running 2 power cords and 2 cables . I'd be interested to see how it's way more cumbersome.

More cumbersome in transport than it is setting up. An L1 Model 2 using one sub is four separate pieces in four separate cases: the base unit, the two radiator halves, and the sub. A single EVOX 8 system is four pieces is one rectangular case: the sub, the top, and the two pole halves, and it sits easily on a Rock & Roller cart, where you can stack other gear on top of it without worry.

(I'm still new to using the Evox line, but the ease of transport compared to the Bose system, which I've owned for 11 years, was evident from the first use).

For small gigs, I use a compact.

I did that exactly one time (with a pair of L1 Compacts) and hated the sound quality. When you get paid handsomely to rock even a small party, the L1 Compact won't cut it, especially on the low end.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Evox 12; more power for a slightly larger crowd 200-300, in my opinion.

Output-wise, the Evox 8 and 12 are almost identical. Each is rated at 1400 watts, with a frequency response of 40 Hz to 20 kHz. Evox 12's SPL is rated at 130 db, whereas Evox 8's is 128 db. The difference is in the dispersion: Evox 8's coverage pattern is 120 degrees by 30 degrees, and 12's is 90 degrees by 30 degrees. The Evox 12, with a tighter coverage and bigger subwoofer, delivers more perceived "oomph" at the same amplification that the Evox 8 uses.

It's the reason I keep my eye on the combination of the db Technologies Ingenia IG2T tops over a pair of RCF 705 AS II (or maybe a different pair of (8"-12" tops).

Thanks for the reminder on the Ingenia series.
I had looked at them briefly when first announced, but then kind of forgot about them.
That double 8 over a 12 or 15 inch sub would sound sweet I'm sure.
I might even be able to pole mount that over my SB122.
It's a little heavier than the EV ZX1 top but the IG2T is a little slimmer than the EV according to the specs.
Too bad they're not wireless to be able to set the delay by ear within the room.

Last edited: