Business License

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
You would typically only need one in the city or county where you headquarter your business, not where you perform the work. I would imagine that the rules vary by state; here in Massachusetts only a professional license is required at the state level (i.e. for plumbers, electricians, practitioners), but entertainers are exempt. My county has no requirements, but the town where I opened my office does - an easy $40 document that gets renewed every two years.

For the requirements in South Carolina, start here: SCBOS

Reactions: ittigger
depends where you are. Here (pa) there is no business license - it doesn't exist. Some TYPES of businesses need licensed (real estate sales, hair dresser, car sales) and some need state sales tax license.

If you're business ins't your name then you need to file a DBA with the state.

Some local municipalities require something - mine wants a home based business 'registration' if you have people coming to your home (customers). But nothing if you're not.

Not sure what it's like in other states, but in Oklahoma there is no license requirement to start a business. However, if you want to register your business name in order to protect it from use by someone else, you can do that. I did not want another DJ to start a business and use the same name, so I registered mine. Also, if you hire others and pay them, you have to file all the appropriate documents with the state so you can withhold taxes, workers comp, etc. I started out as an S-Corp, but changed to an LLC.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Sounds like a city/county here might be require DJ's to be licensed , one of the Venue's the step kid is looking at for their wedding ask if their DJ ( me) was license, so that county could very well require it( not a county that I service), going to be calling them and find out what they are talking about.

Or it could be that the venue is not properly informed. Incidentally, even if it was a requirement - if you live outside of the county, I don't believe that they can require you to get a local license - as you do not live there.

Reactions: SEDJ
Or it could be that the venue is not properly informed. Incidentally, if you live outside of the county, you are NOT required to have a local license - as you do not live there.
Or it could be the kids didnt understand what they told them, so I will clear it up with the venue.

You can truly only get the best answer from your own County government or the South Craolina Secretary of State's office. Check the Secretary of State website first, then the county website for information.

Generally speaking:
Licensing is at the mandate and discretion of the licensing authority - it is not something you get to choose. 'Mobile Disc jockey' is not a licensed profession. However, there are things you could undertake in your operation that do require a license, such as agency.

The only city license that might apply to you is a dba certificate. This is simply a form you file locally if your business is operated using a fictitious name such as: 'Have Music Will Travel' instead of 'John Smith DJ service.' It allows the community to identify who the business owners actually are. You can only file a dba certificate in the city or town where your business is located. It is not required if your real name is part of the business name.

There are other city mandates, especially regarding where you operate from s,o make sure you check with the building inspector and city clerk regarding your plans. There may be permits, zoning requirements, or other city codes you have to comply with even without any kind of license.

I believe County and State licensing are essentially the same thing with county government being the venue through which licenses are issued and managed - much like the court system.

State licensing typically applies only to regulated professions, you can find the list of registered professions through Your Secretary of State's Office, or the County Seat - whichever venue manages it. It is unlikely Mobile Disc Jockey will be one of them. Corporations formed or operating in the state are also required to register with the Secretary of State. If your business formation was an LLC or C-corp then you've already done this.

Sounds like a city/county here might be require DJ's to be licensed , one of the Venue's the step kid is looking at for their wedding ask if their DJ ( me) was license, so that county could very well require it( not a county that I service), going to be calling them and find out what they are talking about.

They probably meant a "certificate of insurance" and it was either described incorrectly or misunderstood.

The only city license that might apply to you is a dba certificate. This is simply a form you file locally if your business is operated using a fictitious name such as: 'Have Music Will Travel' instead of 'John Smith DJ service.' It allows the community to identify who the business owners actually are. You can only file a dba certificate in the city or town where your business is located. It is not required if your real name is part of the business name.
Yep, I have my DBA certificate.

BTW, Can you ensure that your DBA certificate is insured with a certificate mailed PDQ certified to my secure location ...or is that certifiably TMI?
Well, no, I have no idea where your secure location is located.