Cable management

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I do it with my studio mike cables. My live ones if I'm not in a hurry. Speaker cable? Lighting? Extension cords? Right around that arm, baby...

GJ

Reactions: SEDJ
I've been using the under over method for a few years. When it's time to set up, my cables unwrap instantly without tangles. That said, I don't think it's the only way to wrap cables. I bought some used XLR cables from a studio and they were neatly wound in one direction. There were no twists or tangles in the cables and each wind was equal in length. Either way, just taking a little time will make your cables last longer and they'll unwind quickly without tangles.

I always over/under so everything fits in the cable trunks properly. They aren't huge, about the size of 2 milk crates.

I over under EVERYTHING. 100+ ft XLRs, 200+ ft Cat 5, you name it. Fast as a spool with a knob.

If you master it, you'll never look back.

Sent from my mobile device.

Sorry, but to me, that doesn't make any sense. Please elaborate.
You don't want them growing up to be spoiled brats .. (it was a joke man ...)

Honestly, I hate the over/under method. I understand the premise, but just don't buy into the benefits.

Work for a Concert Production Company.
Do a week long music festival with 10 bands on one stage in a day.
Once you try to "un-wrap" 20 or 30 poorly coiled mic cables each time you switch bands...
and multiply it by 7 days and several stages...
you'll completely understand the benefits.

That's what I'm saying, Mike. I've done quite a bit of live sound, as a tech and in 30+ years of being in bands. I never had the time (or the crew) to individually "sweet wrap" every cable, but I also don't do what one of my friends did-- almost _purposefully_ put knots in them by just bunching them up and throwing them in the cable box.

Dunlopdj-- The point is, if you want your cables to behave, you have to keep them in-line. Wrapping them around your elbow a few times prevents you from having to beat them with a stick as much...

GJ

...but it's also stupid vs. under over.

Sent from my mobile device.

I generally don't have very long cable runs at all, I do a lot of stuff using wireless if I can. But every time I've tried the over-under method, it hasn't seemed any easier getting my cables undone. When I've tried to over-under, I end up with weird loops and they won't sit correctly. Even on brand new cables I have this type of problem. When I'm wrapping my cables up at the end of the night, I basically look at the way they are naturally turning, and I don't fight them.

I don't wrap around my elbow though, it seems like it just stresses the cable out.