Chauvet DMX interfaces

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I'm a bit antzy, so I'm wanting to go back to DMX this weekend. Since I don't have movers yet, I'm thinking about using my Chauvet 50-watt scanners, which I'd crank strap down on top of my K10 tops, mounted on some heavy steel crank stands. I already have my wireless dmx transmitters and am planning to perm-strap a receiver to each scanner.

On the transmit side, I have an old ADJ myDMX, but honestly I don't even know if I've still got the interface or not. I've been looking at the Chauvet Showxpress 100 ($175) but nobody has one in stock in town. I've found an Xpress 512, in town, for $350, which I could pickup today at lunch. According to the online info, the 512 can play a show stand-alone, which sounds like it makes the upgrade worth it. Have any of you guys used this DMX interface? Any comments in regards?

The 100 will be limited to 100 total channels and if you want to take advantage of a mover, you're looking at using many channels per fixture .. so as long as you aren't using too many fixtures, it would be OK .. otherwise, you're better off with a larger universe.

I think I'm going to go buy this over lunch and play with it at home, tonight. I'm really kinda wondering what the benefit of using movers over scanners. Presumably, you're going to be putting light towards the dance floor so, won't it be close to the same as movers (realizing you don't have 360 degrees)? If I added 2 move scanners and put them on the back corners of the dance floor (away from guests, of course) I could still get full surround coverage. Granted the 60-watt scanners aren't going to be as strong as the 90-watt movers but I was looking at getting the 50-watt movers anyways.

Imo, scanners are a more dance oriented effect while movers tend to be a more room enhancing or ambiance effect.

Moving heads tend to add to the elegance of a room, as in giving the impression of a more upscale event, or gala. It still invokes the old school "searchlight" image of opening night or an event not to be missed.

Gobostars02.jpg

Are there any scanners with rotating heads? Higher end movers have a lot more features and I believe they have a wider beam than scanners. IMHO, if your plan is to raise your rates, lower priced movers aren't gonna do the trick because they lack the bells & whistles. As you're thinking, they aren't much different than scanners.

More gobos
interchangeable gobos
rotating gobos
Frost filters
3 facet rotating prism

I wish I knew more, but I've never had high end moving heads. Check out some vids to get an idea.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnrX0ue2A0

Oh man, I bought the Chauvet, useless software and it wouldn't work on my Win7 box. Bought a myDMX buddy, got it in yesterday, and it wouldn't work on my win7 box either. Finally stumbled across my old myDMX dongle, it works like a champ. Now I get to return both of the other units. What an exercise in futility. ugh.

Reactions: ittigger
Oh man, I bought the Chauvet, useless software and it wouldn't work on my Win7 box. Bought a myDMX buddy, got it in yesterday, and it wouldn't work on my win7 box either. Finally stumbled across my old myDMX dongle, it works like a champ. Now I get to return both of the other units. What an exercise in futility. ugh.

I have a MyDMX 2.0 and run it on a Windows 7 computer, and it works fine???[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyDmx buddy is a dongle. MyDmx 2.0 is not so much a dongle - may be more hardware / electronics.

'myDMX Buddy is a scaled down, entry level version of myDMX 2.0.'

Looks like the biggest difference is how many channels it will support and some advanced scene support:

• Easy-to-use DMX software
• 256 DMX channels (LIVE)
• 12 DMX channels (STAND ALONE)
• Extensive fixture profile library
• SSL2 Profile editor & support
• New graphical interface design
• New drag and drop effects generator
• Works with simple scenes/steps
• Laptop or desktop computer with USB port

---------------------------------------------------------

• Easy-to-use DMX software
• 512 DMX channels
• Extensive fixture profile library
• SSL2 Profile editor & support
• 3D Visualizer
• MIDI triggering
• Drag and drop effects generator
• Works with simple scenes/steps
• Windows and Mac installers that will download the latest ssl library with an internet connection upon install.
• “Maintenance” application that installs with the program to check for component updates or new versions of the software.
• “Cloud search for profiles” Search for the latest and greatest fixture profiles from within the program itself, no more hunting through dropbox
• Barrel drum rotation added to scene builder
• Program now reads special characters such as ‘&’
• Improved multi Pan and Tilt support
• Users can now multi select steps in a scene and modify a channel parameter without it interfering with the rest of the channels
• Vast optimizations and stability improvements for both Windows and Mac OS
• Not compatible with ARM based Windows tablets (only Intel)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
MyDmx buddy is a dongle. MyDmx 2.0 is not so much a dongle - may be more hardware / electronics...

Good info!:nod:... Mine looks kinda like this...

upload_2017-10-18_8-54-15.jpeg
... but you'd never see it. It's inside my rack, then I use DMX over CAT 5 to connect to my ADJ Dotx TPar...

upload_2017-10-18_9-0-30.png

...and from there to my Mini Kintas or other light fixtures.:djsmug:

Last edited:
Yes, but same company (ADJ), same software???... Makes you wonder what's the diff???[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it's a piece of junk. It's apparently supported by a non-ADJ company. ADJ just puts their name on it. I'm returning it.

If you knew Sushi, Like I know Sushi ...