Chauvet EZPAR 56. I ordered one and it came in

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
So I have 1 Blizzard Puck Unplugged RGBA light that is malfunctioning, and the LED Diodes are out of whack...they are less bright than the other lights, and the coloring is just off. Well, they discontinued these lights. I ended up buying a Chauvet EZPAR56 as a replacement for it. I figure the Chauvet EZPAR series is currently the closest style LED battery powered light to the older Pucks.

WOW...what a difference. It weighs like 3.5 lbs compared to like 11 or 12 lbs for the Puck. Secondly, the IRC remote that comes with it seems to work well. Also, I think it's a bit brighter than the pucks.

...It does seem to have maybe just a slightly narrower beam angle than the pucks, but that could be due to it's size being just a bit smaller than the pucks...it seems to have less LEDs than the pucks do.

Now, I am debating between updating all my wireless puck lights to Chauvet EZPAR 56 lights. I can get these lights at $130 each from Pro Audio Star ($29.99 off). Worth the cost to update the lights? Or should I keep truckin' with the pucks, and just replace as they die out over time?

I also have the 12x7 watt Chinese wired lights...The difference is the beam spread on those lights are wider than the Chauvet EZ Par or Puck 56s...They are also remote enabled which I like. If I get the wireless Chauvet EZAR56 lights, all my lights will be remote enabled.

One cool thing about these EZPAR56 lights, is I could put 4 of them on a light stand and have a completely wireless battery powered light show. No Wires, and remote enabled...would make for a nice wash over the dance floor, and, very clean looking.

Reactions: prodjay
Does the ezpar still have the rocker-style switch in the back? That is the only beef I have with it. Mine get bumped on during transport and it burns the battery down. Other than that, the ezpar is a terrific light and a terrific value. If you're upgrading, you might want to consider moving up to the 64. They're considerably brighter than the 56. BTW, the EZ56 is brighter than the older, plug-in style.

Being a DJ must be pretty lucrative if folks can readily plop down $130 each to replace lights that still work. Since I'm not a professional DJ, I don't have a clue about such matters. But I find people's decision making process for gear purchase intriguing.

I spend all my monthly allowance on gear I've hardly ever used, especially lighting. I have the following:

(2) 4Play Clear
(2) Swarm 5 fx
(2) Jellydome
(4) Mega TriPar Profile

I keep telling myself I have enough lights. But I always find something else I want.

Being a DJ must be pretty lucrative if folks can readily plop down $130 each to replace lights that still work. Since I'm not a professional DJ, I don't have a clue about such matters. But I find people's decision making process for gear purchase intriguing.

I spend all my monthly allowance on gear I've hardly ever used, especially lighting. I have the following:

(2) 4Play Clear
(2) Swarm 5 fx
(2) Jellydome
(4) Mega TriPar Profile

I keep telling myself I have enough lights. But I always find something else I want.

I have probably spent $20,000 on Gear over the years, and honestly, that is like pouring a pint into a 1 gallon bucket compared to some other DJs. Some DJs have spent over $100,000 on gear over the years. Taso has had 2 different sets of 40 or 60 Up Lights over the years, not to mention different facades, different sound systems, multiple totems, multiple moving heads, all the other effects, photo booths, microphones, mixers, lighting controllers...the list goes on...There is a lot of money to spend being a DJ if you are providing multiple services, and many options.

Some DJs may only spend a few thousand on their equipment, then simply stop buying all together.

I wasn't planning on spending more money on up lights, BUT that one Puck Unplugged malfunctioning evidently got on my nerves enough to purchase this EZ PAR after I got what I considered a good deal on it from ProAudioStar.

Also, I am tired of hauling those heavy up lights around, LOL. These EZ Pars are so freakin light that a Chauvet padded bag with 4 EZ Par lights in it will weigh very little to carry around. Also, the zippers on my Blizzard Puck bags are broken now. T Hey put cheap zippers on those bags. Each blizzard puck bag weighs over 45 lbs each. This will save me more weight and space in the vehicle if I update all the lights.

I have probably spent $20,000 on Gear over the years, and honestly, that is like pouring a pint into a 1 gallon bucket compared to some other DJs. Some DJs have spent over $100,000 on gear over the years. Taso has had 2 different sets of 40 or 60 Up Lights over the years, not to mention different facades, different sound systems, multiple totems, multiple moving heads, all the other effects, photo booths, microphones, mixers, lighting controllers...the list goes on...There is a lot of money to spend being a DJ if you are providing multiple services, and many options.

Some DJs may only spend a few thousand on their equipment, then simply stop buying all together.

I wasn't planning on spending more money on up lights, BUT that one Puck Unplugged malfunctioning evidently got on my nerves enough to purchase this EZ PAR after I got what I considered a good deal on it from ProAudioStar.

Also, I am tired of hauling those heavy up lights around, LOL. These EZ Pars are so freakin light that a Chauvet padded bag with 4 EZ Par lights in it will weigh very little to carry around. Also, the zippers on my Blizzard Puck bags are broken now. T Hey put cheap zippers on those bags. Each blizzard puck bag weighs over 45 lbs each. This will save me more weight and space in the vehicle if I update all the lights.
If you ever do any events in Montgomery County, let me know. I'll help carry your load. You'll have to pay me for gas though.

If you ever do any events in Montgomery County, let me know. I'll help carry your load. You'll have to pay me for gas though.

I lived in Gaithersburg all my life up until 2008. My sister and brother still live there, but very little work inside of Moco these days it seems. They usually drive into VA, or DC or to other parts of Maryland for gigs. They end up doing a handful a year down there though. I couldn't live in Moco these days. WAY too expensive for a house, and renting an apartment is real high down there too.

I lived in Gaithersburg all my life up until 2008. My sister and brother still live there, but very little work inside of Moco these days it seems. They usually drive into VA, or DC or to other parts of Maryland for gigs. They end up doing a handful a year down there though. I couldn't live in Moco these days. WAY too expensive for a house, and renting an apartment is real high down there too.
My wife and I were fortunate to buy a home when prices were low, 1998. Only time I've heard anyone mention hiring a DJ around here was for school dances. I suppose that might change as me and my friend's children reach marrying age. By then, I'll just be contently living off my Social Security.

Reactions: ittigger
I've been to gaithersburg for an event before... also been to ten oaks ballroom, and hunt valley country club. Next weekend I'll be at the Sotterley Plantation for a wedding as well. There are clients out there... not many I'm sure... but there are a few that are willing to invest in their entertainment and decor need. The events that I did have all spent between $3-5k on production.

(2) 4Play Clear
(2) Swarm 5 fx
(2) Jellydome
(4) Mega TriPar Profile

If you are doing serious lighting, not only are you spending $$s for higher quality fixtures, but you're also planning on replacing them on an ongoing basis to keep up with technology, to make things more streamlined, and to keep up with changing tastes. No different than audio gear, which might have a 10 year actual life, but some of us replace it on a less than 5 yr basis to stand out.

If you are doing serious lighting, not only are you spending $$s for higher quality fixtures, but you're also planning on replacing them on an ongoing basis to keep up with technology, to make things more streamlined, and to keep up with changing tastes. No different than audio gear, which might have a 10 year actual life, but some of us replace it on a less than 5 yr basis to stand out.

I've got about 40 chauvet 56 slimpars and 10 of the 56 ezpars. The 40 I've had for about 6-7 years. The EZs about 2. For such a lightweight, plastic fixture, I never dreamed of getting this good a service out of them.

I've got about 40 chauvet 56 slimpars and 10 of the 56 ezpars. The 40 I've had for about 6-7 years. The EZs about 2. For such a lightweight, plastic fixture, I never dreamed of getting this good a service out of them.

Yeah, I'm digging the EZPAR 56.

The other light I was considering opting for instead are these...The only reason would be because of the Wireless DMX capability, BUT would I ever use the wireless DMX capability? hhhmmm.

RGBWAP LED Stage Light Build-in Wireless DMX Receiver Rechargeable Battery E2H8 | eBay

These weigh a bit more, and come in at 7 lbs each. However, chinese generic brand. But 18 watt x 6, I am sure they get pretty bright, and all I would need is a wireless DMX transmitter, and in theory these lights would work out well for wireless dmx option. But I dunno if I will ever use that. The wireless DMX wicycles for my older puck lights didn't work well when I tried going that route.

(2) 4Play Clear
(2) Swarm 5 fx
(2) Jellydome
(4) Mega TriPar Profile

Working DJs all deal with their gear a bit differently, but many of us are gear heads in one way or another and really love the process of choosing new stuff.

I personally try to upgrade one major component or two of my gear on an annual basis so that I don't run into situations where it ALL needs to be replaced.

One of the things that really helped me is to think of my DJing as two different components. One as an enthusiast, and the other as a business. When I make an investment into the business, it's just that. I want a return for the money spent. I want to be able to charge more, add a new service, or make a material improvement to my product. Some stuff I buy just because I want it, or jam on it at home - which is a totally different set up of equipment. I don't kid myself into thinking the money spent on that stuff is intended to create a return.

Last edited:
Upgrade to EZPar64s for amber.
We use the EZPar64s for the majority of our events, and keep them in simple rubbermaid containers. Very light and takes only 2 hours to charge.

Cons:
The rocker switches on the older models do accidentally switch on when packing the lights together during transport.
Color mixing is not the best, considering they are the older LED style.
Of course, this would be vastly better if we could have wireless DMX, but for the price, these are great for static colors through the night.

Reactions: dashadow
We use the EZPar64s for the majority of our events, and keep them in simple rubbermaid containers. Very light and takes only 2 hours to charge.

Cons:
The rocker switches on the older models do accidentally switch on when packing the lights together during transport.
Of course, this would be vastly better if we could have wireless DMX, but for the price, these are great for static colors through the night.

Is the little remote that comes with these things worth anything?

Cons:

Is the little remote that comes with these things worth anything?

...also been to ten oaks ballroom...

This one surprises me a bit. I just did a wedding there a few weeks back (I posted a pic of it in the wall color uplighting thread), but that place doesn't appear to attract the clients that would bring you down for your production. Of all the cool spots we have around here, that doesn't strike me as attracting high end clients that value "different."

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
This one surprises me a bit. I just did a wedding there a few weeks back (I posted a pic of it in the wall color uplighting thread), but that place doesn't appear to attract the clients that would bring you down for your production. But of all the cool spots we have around here, that doesn't strike me as attracting high end clients that value "different."
A lot of people think it's the venues that dictate the kind of client they are. Yes usually more expensive venues have clients that have more expendable income and can easily go all out...however I've seen plenty of times where a client with a less than desired venue really values the entertainment aspect... and not just the dj, but the whole experience. That is why in my portfolio of videos you may find venues that one wouldn't associate with a "luxury" client. The event at ten oaks booked my "luxe" package with 6 heads, uplighting, multimedia, photobooth, and custom step and repeat. They spent a lot of money and it was well worth the drive at the time when I booked it. She got me by seeing me at another sweet 16 a year before.

Even the barn I'm going to this weekend at the sotterly plantation in Maryland isn't anything to brag about... however they said music is the most important thing to them and wanted to impress their guests (not a big package... just 2 heads on that one.

For those curious, Here's the event from ten oaks for those curious:

Worth the cost to update the lights? Or should I keep truckin' with the pucks, and just replace as they die out over time?

Not so much the COST, but the very problem you are encountering right now.
If you plan on buying them "as needed"...you have no guarantee that the same light will still be available a year from now.
So you'll have to find yet ANOTHER suitable replacement, and try to match the 4 or 5 other models/brands you already own.

You're preaching to the choir on this one!