Controlling Chauvet Colorstrip

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ausumm

Gold Plated Productions
Oct 21, 2008
Bethlehem PA
Since I have now entered the slippery slope known as DMX...
I am starting to re-consider using some of my old effect lights....but in a new way.
Since the Dotz par system throws more colored light than I could hope for,
I wanted to add a chasing WHITE ONLY light to break up the color(s).
Since I own a Chauvet Colorstrip and a Colorstrip Mini....
I was wondering if you could use DMX to make it chase....but only in WHITE.
Anyone have any experience or expertise?
I know you can set it on ALL WHITE for a static color...but I'd like to add some movement.
Perhaps a white only strobe...but with a chase?
(doesn't have to be sound active)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJKLEEN
Mikey, with DMX, you can build anything you want to (as long as the units parameters allow it). :)

White static, white strobe, white whatever. With that particular unit, I'm not sure that you can isolate groups of LED's if that's what you mean (like one set of RGB on the left side of the panel).

Page 10 (as Rick pointed out), contains all the DMX operations and in 4 channel mode, it looks like you can certainly get White - Channel 1 [070-079] and Strobing - Channel 3, Slow To Fast [000-127] and Sound Active [250-255].

You could build a DMX Chase using various on board chases (channel 1 [080-209]) and then insert a white strobing effect wherever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm and DJKLEEN
As Tig said, doesn't look like enough channels to do a "white" color chase yourself. There might be one preprogrammed in the "color chases" .. would have to try each value to see what's there.

I've got a pair of Colorstrip's which are RGB, so the white strobing is 'meh'. Why don't you sell your Colorstrips and use the money to purchase a Shocker 90 IRC for $120 which does circular chases or maybe you could track down an American DJ Freq 5 (discontinued) which does bar-fixture type chases? I always wanted to buy a couple Freq 5's. Let me know if you find any stock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1Yw1cpbv8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopSg0qaL3M

I agree that white just adds something special to the mix, the way it punches through. Unfortunately, an RGB fixture just doesn't cut it.

This video shows the Shocker patterns really well. Click on the link UNDER the video to jump to the patterns at 2:27 in.

View: https://youtu.be/jaFlmuFhiaY?t=2m27s

Last edited:
maybe you could track down an American DJ Freq 5 (discontinued) which does bar-fixture type chases? I always wanted to buy a couple Freq 5's. Let me know if you find any stock.

Funny, I saw the Frequency 16 (also discontinued) and that is what gave me the idea.
I did see a few of the 16's for sale, but at almost $400...I decided to try the Colorstrip.
Also, I am after more of a CHASE effect than a strobe, as strobes could be dangerous for some guests.
Was also looking at the Chauvet Colorband, which has a great chase effect (even better: without strobing)
they are about $180, so that is more do-able.

Thanks Rick, Steve and Tig for the link to the manual.
I don't have mine anymore.

Reactions: ittigger
If I am seeing this correctly, it should work.
I could do WHITE only with channel !
and then sound active with channel 3.
Gonna try it out this weekend.
I just cant see buying a new light when I have two colorstrips at home, collecting dust.

THANKS AGAIN!

I just cant see buying a new light when I have two colorstrips at home, collecting dust.

THANKS AGAIN!
That might get you flashing .. doubt you'll get a chase .. maybe .. give it a whirl.

THANKS AGAIN!

White - Channel 1 [070-079] - the other numbers result in other colors or chases. Channel 1 turns the panel into Sound Active Mode [230-255]

Strobing (this is specifically in play while channel 1 is between 010-119) - Channel 3, Slow To Fast [000-127] and Sound Active [250-255]

For this unit, Page 10 is your friend.

:)

I get it Mike BUT if you sold your Colorstrips and bought a Shocker, you'd come out with money in your pocket which is never a bad thing. You could even get the IRC-6 remote with the money and not worry about programming it into your DMX. Just saying... :)

Reactions: Ausumm
Okay, since the Colorstrip is RBG and not RGBW...
It requires all three colors to be on to make WHITE.
(you see the individual red, green and blue LED's)

So my "white chase" idea is still in limbo.
I want a "LED bar" to put either ON or in FRONT of my table...and be a WHITE chase effect.
(don't want to add another light BEHIIND me on the light bar with the Dotz)

I looked at the Chavuet Colorband, which does white, but the lens hides the individual LED's.
Plus I could use it with a static color to cover the dance floor during cocktails/dinner. (about $170)
There is also a motorized version that "sweeps"...but that doubles the price. ($330)

Another option is the ADJ Sweeper Beam, which has the movement, and is all white....
but it's about the same price as the Colorband with movement.
It would keeps things simple, since I want white...but for the same price I may as well get the colors, too.

The ADJ Frequency 16 (discontinued) is the closest I have seen to what I was thinking of...
but $400 is a lot for a one-trick pony.

These days I wouldn't personally look for a white-only fixture (unless you can write it off quickly). A quality RGBW. RGBAW or Hex setup should get you the same results and have more versatility.

Unfortunately, it seems ADJ and Chauvet only have RGB models, but Blizzard has a few RGBW or RGBAW strip lights: ThunderStik, PixelStorm, HotStik, etc.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
I have been looking at the Blizzard Stormchaser myself.
It's brighter than similar ADJ or Chauvet offerings.
It does have white, but would be lost in a white-only chase using every 4th segment. For wash duty, it would be fine.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
It does have white, but would be lost in a white-only chase using every 4th segment. For wash duty, it would be fine.

Maybe...maybe not.
Still looking at some of the videos....but it's hard to tell.

Maybe...maybe not.
Still looking at some of the videos....but it's hard to tell.
The white only LEDS are every 4th panel. You could use the R, G and B sections to make white, but 10mm diodes don't converge well and you'll always get a halo of some color.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
True.
But it does have some nice chase/movement patterns.
And it will be used in WHITE as an accent...not a wash.
it's another consideration.

Seems the other LED bars from Blizzard don't all have a chase program. (Hotstik, Qstik)

One of the bar lights I almost bought last year was the Chauvet Freedom Stick Pack. 4 battery powered sticks with wireless DMX built in (D-Fi). $380 for a 4 pack with case, bases and chargers at NSL. Not as bright as the other washed you're looking at, but can be placed a lot of different ways.

chauvet-dj-freedom-stick-pack.jpg
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gwd5fSFKX0

I looked at those before.
While very nice, it's not what I'm looking for.
I think I'm gonna have to see what floats my boat from the choices above.
Decide whether I want movement, or not.
And decide if I want all white, or not.