Cover page video

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Need a few eyeballs. I just installed a slideshow video as my website cover page. I'm still trying to get it showing at a higher resolution but was wondering if you guys would mind pulling up the page and let me know how fast it loads and whether it's displaying correctly (full page)? Any other comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Home

Reactions: DJKLEEN and Ausumm
it takes a second to load and kinda looks awkward with plain text and nothing there. Also the pics look really low resolution and don't do your service justing. Where are you having that video hosted? If I am not mistaken you can have a still photo displayed until the video loads in.

The video is hosted a vimeo, which is the preferred method. I've tried several iterations of video resolutions this morning and they have various filters that are supposed to help (I'm using extra contrast). There is a still photo, which displays on mobile devices (they don't play the video). Not sure why it didn't show up on yours. I'm going to keep working with this. In looking at major players like weddingwire or theknot, they're using video a lot on their cover pages. It's surprising but the SEO checkers are registering higher numbers with this method over slideshows.

The video is hosted a vimeo, which is the preferred method. I've tried several iterations of video resolutions this morning and they have various filters that are supposed to help (I'm using extra contrast). There is a still photo, which displays on mobile devices (they don't play the video). Not sure why it didn't show up on yours. I'm going to keep working with this. In looking at major players like weddingwire or theknot, they're using video a lot on their cover pages. It's surprising but the SEO checkers are registering higher numbers with this method over slideshows.
The low/dark video could be based on your wordpress template used that is making it not look sharp and dark (my old template I used had this and I hated it). I viewed your site from my computer... I didn't try the phone. But there is a way to have a picture show on both until the video loads I believe. I know because I have a picture on my sweet 16 page until the video shows.

I have a suggestion with your package pricing that may potentially increase overall sales, but depends on if you only want to target the $1100+ crowd or not.

I am suggesting making a BRONZE Level package. Perhaps price it at $850 - $900 for a 4 hour time frame, and state that the Bronze package is only available Sunday thru Friday. or on off dates. Take the dance floor lighting out, and if they want the lighting, add it in.

Just my suggestion.

The home page pics look nice, but I agree that they are dark.

On mine, I use the Revolution Slider plugin on Wordpress, and just have the Ken Burns effect being applied. It might be easier if you load in the pictures that way instead of using an actual video.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
it takes a second to load and kinda looks awkward with plain text and nothing there. Also the pics look really low resolution and don't do your service justing. .

+ 1

thanks for typing my thoughts exactly... except for "justing"...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I agree, the video doesn't do it justice but I'm not quite convinced to ditch it yet. I'm about to make a new version that has some actual video clips, which will be mixed in with the photos with the Ken Burns effect. I've noticed TK and WW doing this same thing and, even though they also suffer from the lower resolution, it's still a very eye-catching thing to have actual video running as a background. I just bought a Lume Cube this week, to use for lighting on my videos. Hopefully, I should start getting some better quality soon.

It's not finished yet, but my website features a video on the cover page.
It is purposely blurred to be in the background.
Although, I assume with Photography, you'd want specific pictures or video.

www.mikefoxx.com

It's not finished yet, but my website features a video on the cover page.
It is purposely blurred to be in the background.
Although, I assume with Photography, you'd want specific pictures or video.

www.mikefoxx.com

EXCELLENT. That looks great, Mike. While I don't like the lower resolution (can't figure out how to make it look better), the purpose isn't to showcase the pictures, it's to do something that's eye-catching. I think a video background is something that's still relatively new, which makes it a positive in my book. Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Reactions: Ausumm
There will be more good stuff coming,
but you know how hard it is to sit down with a web designer for any length of time.
(especially when it's your son, and he just bought a house...)