Corporate Events December 31, 2009

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The potential client is a "First Night" group looking for a 30 minute light and music show leading up to a ball drop from a crane. Their budget is 2K. I have 2 SCX 500 and 2 ColorPalettes (only DMX fixtures to date), MBT Spinning Star (starball type effect) Raptor, T-Rex, white moonflower, fog machine, strobe and a 4 par 38's. I'm thinking I might add a couple Colorstrips or Megal Pixels and/or scanners plus DMX relay packs for the non DMX stuff.

Cons I see so far: It's outside and downtown on a street corner and may not be dark enough for a show, at least with what I have. Second problem is it's outside and who knows what the weather will be like so the thing could get canceled.

Pros I see: I get new fixtures and DMX software.

I'm thinking of going with classic rock using the music and light show to build in intensity until time for the ball drop. I'm also thinking about trying to see if they might have it at a local high school auditorium instead and sort of televise the ball drop inside, but going away from their initial area kind of defeats the purpose of getting people downtown.

So my questions, would it be worth it to you to pursue this? What might you do different? What else should I look for? Realize I see this as a possible way to upgrade a bit and really spend time learning DMX.

I have a meeting with this group on Feb. 20. Oh, and part of the group still wants to do fireworks, which had to be canceled due to wind issues.

For an outdoor event to buy the necessary equipment and get to keep it you would spend the 2K plus 8K more. You could probably get a nice rental rig for $1000-$1500 to do the trick and pocket the difference.

Mike

I have this feeling what they want, what they think they want, and what can be done on the budget are three different things....

The lighting you need to do this job is way above the budget given...even to rent. They want spectacular and are willing to pay for ok.

Sarge I got alot of gear and I wouldn't touch this job with a 10 ft pole

Yea I'm gonna give them a call and tell them exactly what I can do and ask them what they expect. I bet it's two different things.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. lol

Maybe I can still do the music part though. I can get plenty of equipment for that!! lol

I have this feeling what they want, what they think they want, and what can be done on the budget are three different things....

The lighting you need to do this job is way above the budget given...even to rent. They want spectacular and are willing to pay for ok.

Sarge I got alot of gear and I wouldn't touch this job with a 10 ft pole

I dunno, for $2k I could put together a pretty good rental package and probably get the job done. But I have connections.

Mike

cons:
power
set up time... outside on a street corner NYE, people will be milling around early.
stage?

Pros... lots of exposure. get a banner and bring all your sound.

cons:
power
set up time... outside on a street corner NYE, people will be milling around early.
stage?

Yeah, you would need a small crew and a genny, no stage necessary.

Mike

cons:
power
stage?

My thought on set up was be down the street using my bro in laws trailer. I could roll it in and have some height also.

Sound. I would bring all I have and borrow or rent equipment from my buds in the DC ADJA chapter. Or my buddy that has bigger stuff.

Need to see what attendance has been for them, but all in all, I think the lighting would suck compared to what they would be looking for. If they are talking hundreds to thousands, no way!! Unless they are happy with just a bit of lighting. I'll show them some vids I have plus concert stuff from youtube to get an idea. Biggest problem is street and building lights.

My thought on set up was be down the street using my bro in laws trailer. I could roll it in and have some height also.

Sound. I would bring all I have and borrow or rent equipment from my buds in the DC ADJA chapter. Or my buddy that has bigger stuff.

Need to see what attendance has been for them, but all in all, I think the lighting would suck compared to what they would be looking for. If they are talking hundreds to thousands, no way!! Unless they are happy with just a bit of lighting. I'll show them some vids I have plus concert stuff from youtube to get an idea. Biggest problem is street and building lights.

Yup, forget using anything dimmer than a 250w discharge lamp in a unit. You will need major punch and I would say at least a dozen or two moving lights.

Mike