Discussion: Will most clients choose a DJ who is "OKAY" to save $$$?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
My brother and I had a conversation over the phone today.

We both did follow ups this morning, and were both told pretty much similar stories as to why the client chose another DJ.

I called up a Gig Masters prospect this morning to follow up on a quote for a 2.5 hour 10 year old birthday party on Friday 10/28. The client specifically said she wanted someone to entertain the kids, bring lighting effects, and just wants an all out great time for the kids. I sent her a nice response informing her what I can do, and gave her a price of $500 for the 2.5 hour time frame. The event location is a 50 minute drive from my house...not a big deal, but I felt $500 is a pretty fair price also considering it's a Friday.

The client told me "I actually decided to go with a lady who is local. Her kids go to school with my kids, and I saw her at the school dance a couple weeks ago, and she did an OKAY job at it. " So I didn't get the gig...not a big deal...I am booked that Saturday and Sunday anyway.

My brother also followed up with a client this morning. He had quoted $400 to do a apartment complex pool Halloween party (They have an indoor pool). He did the party last year for the same price. The property manager said "Oh one of our employees has a brother who DJs on the side. He was only charging $175 which is why we are going with him. Nothing against you, you did a great job for us last year, it's just that saving money is more important to keep our community budget in line"...

So the question is: Do you believe most clients would prefer to go with a DJ they know is "Just OK" compared to a more experienced DJ who might be charging a few hundred dollars more to do their party?

Yes they will. For other than "once in a lifetime" events, most people are just looking for good enough.

Yes they will. For other than "once in a lifetime" events, most people are just looking for good enough.

So it is safe to say that if you are quoting on a Birthday Party, High School Reunion, Company picnic, Anniversary Party, Pool Party...perhaps even School Dances that you need to figure out what is the lowest price another DJ will quote the client, and go lower than that to truly get booked on the event?

I think it depends on the level of event. On a kids birthday that's 2.5 hours and a non-prime date, I'd probably say $300. On a pool party, I might expect to land $400. On a casual event, there's little to no risk of the client looking bad, if the DJ sucks. On a wedding, we do have occasion to lose out to an "OK" DJ who is cheaper but the win or lose depends much more on the sales ability of the DJ. In those cases, I usually use a "Yes ma'am you can hire a DJ for $300-$500 for your wedding but in my experience, they will usually hurt your party more than help it. They also tend to bail on you if they get an extra $50." approach. Yes, there are DJs who will do a good job at that price point. Yes, I'm playing a poker hand. However, on average, my statement is true. You do get what you pay for. Just don't expect to win a low-risk party by using high-risk selling points.

By the way, I rarely ever bid on these kinds of parties. My prices posted to the website usually scare away these kinds of prospects.

You do get what you pay for. Just don't expect to win a low-risk party by using high-risk selling points.

By the way, I rarely ever bid on these kinds of parties. My prices posted to the website usually scare away these kinds of prospects.

I agree. The website inquiries for parties, reunions, low level parties have dropped to less than 5 per year for us. Every since we wedding rates moves north of $800 it seems party inquires have dropped significantly. Weddings make up 80% of our gigs this year. It's still nice to do a party once in a while. They are much easier to do...I usually don't have to dress in a suit to do them as most are casual events.

If I am quoting on a low level party event, most of the time it's a Gig Masters Lead, and they are getting multiple quotes at the same time. The 5 to 7 or so direct inquiries I do get are usually from referrals, and I happen to book them because it was a referral from a previous client.

So it is safe to say that if you are quoting on a Birthday Party, High School Reunion, Company picnic, Anniversary Party, Pool Party...perhaps even School Dances that you need to figure out what is the lowest price another DJ will quote the client, and go lower than that to truly get booked on the event?
Not always, though you need to get them thinking in a different direction where "good enough" .. isn't. For non-weddings, the clients want the guests to have fun. If your USP (unique selling proposition) is "I play music" .. then you fall in line with everyone else.

It's like buying anything else. When the salesman is trying to sell you something, do you select the thing that costs a little more or the thing that is 'just ok'?

I'm going to test this theory on the next Friday party gig request that comes in. I'm going to shoot off a real, real low price with a well written quote, and I won't even follow up on the quote. I will see if they end up booking. If it books I just go and do the gig for little money, but maybe better to make some money than have Friday off like I normally do. If it works, I'll do the same thing for the next Friday party, and see if that one books too. Race to the bottom to get the Friday work!

I'm going to test this theory on the next Friday party gig request that comes in. I'm going to shoot off a real, real low price with a well written quote, and I won't even follow up on the quote. I will see if they end up booking. If it books I just go and do the gig for little money, but maybe better to make some money than have Friday off like I normally do. If it works, I'll do the same thing for the next Friday party, and see if that one books too. Race to the bottom to get the Friday work!

I really don't see it as a race to the bottom. Just realize that Friday or Sunday, and it being a lesser importance event (not a wedding), then the service holds lesser value. I also don't think you have to drastically discount your price. I've often noticed prospects, who have $300 competing quotes, are enthusiastic about getting me at $500, presumably because they know I know work at $750. They feel like they're getting a deal and a higher-class talent.

Reactions: steve149
For most shoppers price is A factor, not THE factor. For a small segment, it is the only thing. But, when they don't have any other way to make decision, they will opt for price.

Trying to be the lowest priced is a losing proposition though. Every gig that could have blossomed from that one is now tainted. Heaven forbid someone that books you for $150 tells a friend. "This guy was super cheap, and he was great!" You will get more calls expecting that price, almost guaranteed.

For most shoppers price is A factor, not THE factor. For a small segment, it is the only thing. But, when they don't have any other way to make decision, they will opt for price.

Trying to be the lowest priced is a losing proposition though. Every gig that could have blossomed from that one is now tainted. Heaven forbid someone that books you for $150 tells a friend. "This guy was super cheap, and he was great!" You will get more calls expecting that price, almost guaranteed.

That will happen. However, if Susan calls you up asking to do their daughter's 4 hour sweet 16 on a Saturday because her friend Cathy booked you for their daughter's 2.5 hour 10 year old birthday party on a Friday night for $175 and they want the same price you can easily explain why you are quoting more for the Saturday with:

"I normally reserve my Saturday dates for weddings that I normally quote $X,XXX for. The lowest price I can give you for this party on Saturday is $895 due to the demand of the date. ...If you throw your daughter's Sweet 16 on a Friday night there is much less demand, and I can give you a much lower price.

Another response:

"The $175 price that Cathy booked me at was a Special online deal I was running that month. I'd be happy to do your daughter's Sweet 16 on Saturday, but my price would be $895." If you opt to throw this party on a Friday, I can give you a much lower price to do it"

If people are mad then oh well....Only you are in charge of how you want to price your business.

This is the way I'm starting to look at it. Friday demand is WAY LOW, and Fridays are not even built into the business plan. Isn't it better to go out for say $300 on a Friday party instead of sitting at home all day earning Zero because I bid too high on the potential Friday work that I did have an opportunity to book?

I haven't been persuing those kind of leads. I never DJ'd an apartment complex pool party or a 10 year old's birthday party. I did a few non-wedding parties this year, but they all wanted me for a one reason or another.

Price is always a factor yet it's a bigger priority when there's less skill, experience, knowledge, reputation needed for the event. I wouldn't know how to MC a pool party. It seems there's no need to talk on the mic at all. Just play current and contemporary hits right?

There are those DJs that specialize in kids parties. From what I know about that niche, they don't charge a lot per event, but they get repeat business and many of the parties are during the day.

I haven't been persuing those kind of leads. I never DJ'd an apartment complex pool party or a 10 year old's birthday party. I did a few non-wedding parties this year, but they all wanted me for a one reason or another.

Price is always a factor yet it's a bigger priority when there's less skill, experience, knowledge, reputation needed for the event. I wouldn't know how to MC a pool party. It seems there's no need to talk on the mic at all. Just play current and contemporary hits right?

There are those DJs that specialize in kids parties. From what I know about that niche, they don't charge a lot per event, but they get repeat business and many of the parties are during the day.

Pool Parties are basically playing music. Getting on the Mic and welcoming people to the party a few times...telling them you are hapy to take requests... If the pool party is big enough, and high energy, there might be a time where a DJ might feel it's a good idea to lead the crowd into a line dance or two. ...Sometimes games like Limbo are involved if the client wants an interactive DJ for the guests. However, most of the time...it's just setting up and playing a good mix of music...Pretty simple gigs to do really.

Over the years we have routinely just charged $350 to $500 to do them as long as I can remember. Of course last couple of years those kind of events have eroded away.

This is the way I'm starting to look at it. Friday demand is WAY LOW, and Fridays are not even built into the business plan. Isn't it better to go out for say $300 on a Friday party instead of sitting at home all day earning Zero because I bid too high on the potential Friday work that I did have an opportunity to book?

That's part of why I take club gigs. But I take them as a totally separate brand so it doesn't do any damage to my primary marketing machine. And even then, a club gig typically pays $250-$300 with no equipment, or just a controller.

That's part of why I take club gigs. But I take them as a totally separate brand so it doesn't do any damage to my primary marketing machine. And even then, a club gig typically pays $250-$300 with no equipment, or just a controller.

Yes, but a club/bar gig in D.C. or NOVA is a drive for me. Not much going on here in Baltimore on Friday nights...

Also, a Club gig goes to the wee hours of the morning. I'm not into being out deejaying at 1 or 2 am any more these days. A private birthday party on a Friday night is likely going to be from 6:30 or 7 to 9 or 10 pm...maybe 11 pm. ...and I'm talking gigs I can tear down, load back into my car and be home by 12...12:15 at the latest. Also at a birthday party gig I wouldn't be dealing with any drunks.

So second-brand yourself as DJ MachoMan and do the lower paying Friday night gigs ...

No. It' safe to say that not knowing what a given client is willing to pay before you quote them points to not qualifying your customers and failing to properly position yourself.

In your example, there's no positioning because the lead came from gig-masters. The type of solicitation was defined by that site before anyone even logged on. These leads are filtered with the existing gig-master bias and are not representative of how your offers would play in the larger market if properly qualified and positioned.

I have a company picnic in a few weeks at $1,500 (weekday). The hours are not finalized yet and will end up somewhere in the 7am-1pm window with lunch as the primary meal service. It's a two person gig (bilingual) because 75% of the employees are Latino. The price was negotiable but never a determinate factor in getting the gig.

There's a local middle school all my kids have gone through and I recently saw the woman who typically books or refers the DJs for dances. She asked if I still DJ dances and school type stuff and I said: "certainly!" We didn't discuss price. She's knows I'm over-qualified and I know she's got a fixed limit. If I'm available when she calls me she knows she'll get a great DJ who's also CORI vetted and I know I'll invoice her for $300 even though we never really talked about price.

The point is - whether it's $1000 or $300 you should already know who you are dealing with on the other end of the call or email by having carefully determined ahead of time exactly what kind of prospect is going to see your ad and respond.

Last edited:
most of us do that...

You have a car, house shoes, furniture, appliances, suits, speakers, microphones...you buy underwear, sheets, pots and dishes, tires for your car, brakes, lawn mowers, etc.

Do you ALWAYS buy the 'best' (often, but not always the most expensive)? No. Many reasons, one being you have a finite amount of money.

A big one is somethings are more important to you than others, many things are 'good enough' or you find them a 'good (enough) value'.

Shure, sennheiser or GTD?

ETX or EKX?

Michelin or brand name tires..or 'what you got that holds air?'

Brooks brothers tailored suit or somethinf off the rack from the mall?

I have a $180 smart phone - not the iPhone or galaxy. the $180 LG is 'good enough' for me.

Reactions: Dan The Man