DJ bails on wedding early.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
What would you do in this case. I saw this today on Judge Faith. 2 guys that work in radio at different radio stations got into an agreement for this one guy to do his daughters wedding. The wedding was for 4 hours and the agreed upon price that DJ was to get paid was $400. He showed up to do the wedding and after 3 hours most of the people were gone. So the DJ asked his friend if it was OK if it was for him to leave since not many people were left. He said OK but had to get a sound man to finish the job and pay him.

The DJ was there because he still wanted to get paid the $100 due to him even though he left early. The judge ruled in his favor because the client didn't put that part in writing and initial it. So the DJ got the $100. What do you say about this and how would you have handled this situation?

Myself I have it in writing in my contract that the balance is to be paid by a certain date and if it is to be paid the day of it's due in cash prior to setup of the equipment. Personally I would have gotten all my money and once that happened I could care less if just 2 people were left there. I'm already paid in full, so I would stay the contracted time. I was curious why most of the people left after 3 hours and the reception was for 4 hours. That never was discussed.

I don't charge an hourly fee. The fee I charge is so that I don't book another wedding on your date. When the event is done, I'm done, simple as that.

I have a time in my contract and a figure and am paid in advance.

I've had a few weddings where things died early - one in july that was a sunday afternoon and mostly outside and storm clouds starting rolling in and people bailed. I was told ' i guess we're ending early' - no mention of refund on either side.

I've stayed late a few times - and usually get paid for it. A client that was easy to work with, spent good money and i gotta stay 1/2 hour? No biggie. A cheap skate that nickeled and dimed everything and was slow to pay and suddenly "oh, 10? I thought you knew the wedding went to 11? no we're not paying for another hour" - one did that to me...I let the music run as I packed up...speakers on the floor..

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
I would never ask a client paying me can I leave early? They would have to tell me shut things down. Now if something kicks off where my contract protects me for leaving early then I would be leaving early.

I did a wedding where the bride INSISTED that she program EVERY song, and tell me what order to play them in.
An hour into the reception, she relented on the ORDER of the songs, but insisted that I stick to her list.
The party ended an hour and a half early, because all the guests had left, and the bride and groom didn't stick around.
The MOB asked me about a refund, until I explained what her daughter had demanded of me.
I was never more glad to be paid in advance.
In this guy's case, I don't see the point of making someone stick around and play for nobody.
But I would play till the end, even if only a handful of people were still there.
(and I have played music while the family packed up...)

My point is I would never ask a client can I leave early. It's their dime. Or should I say 50 cents. LOL.

My point is I would never ask a client can I leave early. It's their dime. Or should I say 50 cents. LOL.

And a good point it is.
I would never ask...EXCEPT if there was no one left in the room. (except the client, of course)
But I wouldn't just lumber up to them and say, "This sucks. Can I go home now!!!"

And a good point it is.
I would never ask...EXCEPT if there was no one left in the room. (except the client, of course)
But I wouldn't just lumber up to them and say, "This sucks. Can I go home now!!!"
What about what it sucks and the crowd is still there?

Once, about 20 years ago, I was doing a wedding that was poorly attended. About two hours into it, the crowd started leaving. I kept playing because I do four hour packages. The bride and groom walked the few remaining guests out to their cars. I thought it was over, but was playing a Philip Bailey song so let it run. I was cleaning my area up when I noticed that the bride and groom were dancing by themselves. Just the three of us in the room. I played about five more romantic songs for them. The finally said "Thanks" and walked out. It was actually pretty cool to give that to them.

What about what it sucks and the crowd is still there?

Normally those are mutually exclusive. If guests are still enjoying themselves, and you're still under contract, it's a pretty simple decision.

I did a wedding where the bride INSISTED that she program EVERY song, and tell me what order to play them in.
An hour into the reception, she relented on the ORDER of the songs, but insisted that I stick to her list.
The party ended an hour and a half early, because all the guests had left, and the bride and groom didn't stick around.
The MOB asked me about a refund, until I explained what her daughter had demanded of me.
I was never more glad to be paid in advance.
In this guy's case, I don't see the point of making someone stick around and play for nobody.
But I would play till the end, even if only a handful of people were still there.
(and I have played music while the family packed up...)

I'm sure that sucked, but it's a good cautionary tale for future couples that want ALL the control. I've never had someone be quite that specific - but that is always the risk. I can do what you want, but if you get it wrong, you just paid a professional to avoidably ruin your event.

Reactions: ittigger
years ago I performed a wedding it middle of a snowstorm in eastern Iowa very rural, ended up being the wedding party and maybe a dozen guests, we were done after about two hours, I had a bridesmaid insist I wasn't making the two hour trip home in the storm I could stay at her house, we are still happily married,

Last edited:
year ago I performed a wedding it middle of a snowstorm in eastern Iowa very rural, ended up being the wedding party and maybe a dozen guests, we were done after about two hours, I had a bridesmaid insist I wasn't making the two hour trip home in the storm I could stay at her house, we are still happily married,

Best gig ever.

;)

Reactions: ittigger
years ago I performed a wedding it middle of a snowstorm in eastern Iowa very rural, ended up being the wedding party and maybe a dozen guests, we were done after about two hours, I had a bridesmaid insist I wasn't making the two hour trip home in the storm I could stay at her house, we are still happily married,
You don't have to tell us what happened when you got to her house. We can use our imagination. LOL. You're still married so you did something right that night.