DJ bails on wedding early.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm sure that sucked, but it's a good cautionary tale for future couples that want ALL the control. I've never had someone be quite that specific - but that is always the risk. I can do what you want, but if you get it wrong, you just paid a professional to avoidably ruin your event.

I know it's not all about ME...but it's at least HALF about me.
I have reached the age that I would rather PASS on these kinds of events.
(when you see them coming)
It DOES have to do with your professional reputation, too.
Not that I CAN'T sit there and be the jukebox...
it's just that like an actor, choosing the wrong role can affect how many jobs you are offered in the future.

I know it's not all about ME...but it's at least HALF about me.
I have reached the age that I would rather PASS on these kinds of events.
(when you see them coming)
It DOES have to do with your professional reputation, too.
Not that I CAN'T sit there and be the jukebox...
it's just that like an actor, choosing the wrong role can affect how many jobs you are offered in the future.

That's probably the best way I've ever heard this argument made.

It's just tough when you have the booking already and you find out late into planning that the bride wants TONS of control over playlist and order. Always a tough spot. But, in most cases, we can get to a spot where I'm comfortable with their vision, and they're comfortable with my execution but give me enough freedom to do what we do.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
For me it's simple. If in the beginning they want complete control they can rent a jukebox and leave me out of the equation.

DJ bails on wedding early. Have you been paid to leave early?

It's just tough when you have the booking already and you find out late into planning that the bride wants TONS of control over playlist and order. Always a tough spot. But, in most cases, we can get to a spot where I'm comfortable with their vision, and they're comfortable with my execution but give me enough freedom to do what we do.

You just have to know how to pick your battles and explain your concerns.
I have been schmoozing people at my job for 30-years.
You simply cannot approach it as though they are doing something wrong.
You have to approach it as you trying to HELP THEM avoid a potential problem...and being able to explain why it may be a problem.

If I'm contracted to play to xyz time I play unless the client comes up and asks me to stop. I have played for the staff while they cleaned up to cover my contract. I usually worry that what if the MOB is out in the hall talking to friends and hears me stop.

I am paid in full 2 weeks in advance and the day of, I have planned my life around being done at xyz time. So it really doesn't matter to me.