DOW posts Record Week since 2011...LOL

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Some people in my town complain if they have to go out on the beltway to drive 4 miles to get something or go somewhere LOL. I've heard it before "You mean I have to drive all the way up there? " and I'm like "It's 3 exits up the beltway...like 5 miles away...

I could go to the other Best Buy in downtown Baltimore...Of course parking is pretty much garage only down there, and the garage is $20. Then it would take me probably 25 to 30 minutes to drive there with all the lights and traffic. Mileage wise it's closer than the other one at 13 miles, but not worth driving to.

This is kinda funny, I was at Inner Harbor a few weeks back, got there at like 6:45pm on a Monday night. Anyways, one of the parking garages, it would have cost me $30 to park .. but if I waited 15 minutes (7pm the rules changed), it cost me $11. ;)

4K TVs are useless unless you have a 4K source, and today that's limited to a small percentage of the streaming services and a handful of satellite channels. I'm sure more is coming, but 4K isn't needed for anything less than 55" .. same logic as to why you needed to have over a 36" TV to need more than 720p. Not currently in the market for a new one, but I still check out what's there and I can certainly see a difference in picture quality and wouldn't think of a 60" 4K TV under $1000 for anything other than casual watching. Black quality (contrast ratio) isn't there, anti-aliasing isn't as good on the lower cost sets, color gamut isn't as wide, etc.
It seems to me that the broadcasters either can't keep up or it is economically not feasible for them to keep up with the technology of the televisions themselves,
There is a new big curved TV in my future

It seems to me that the broadcasters either can't keep up or it is economically not feasible for them to keep up with the technology of the televisions themselves,
Only downside to a curved TV is the more limited viewing angle .. perfect for the audience of one or snuggly two, but you lose the image quick when viewing at more than a 30deg angle or so. Where my largest TV is, it would severely limit how many could see it.

I bet the investment that broadcasters need to make is a large one, and the extra amount that consumers are willing to spend for that content is very little.

It makes total sense that the TV manufacturers need to keep "innovating." If there isn't something wrong with my 55" Samsung... why would I buy a new one? They're hoping the additional feature sets entice people to increase their cycle time on these TVs. If you're a TV manufacturer, you can only increase sales in a couple ways... find new customers, or get current customers to buy again. And, if you haven't added anything to the old product, why would I ever cycle my tech?

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
The issue with 4K content is bandwidth .. 4x what's needed for "Full HD - 1080p". Local content will require a shift to Ultra HD BluRay .. either multiple discs or newer, higher capacity ones .. meaning more new hardware. Over the air direct broadcasting, that's getting tougher to allocate that much bandwidth given the shrinkage of allotted space. Streaming over the air (mobile) requires solid 4G+ level data performance and LOTS of costly data. Online is probably the best bet, but today that is typically movies that you can buffer heavily with local storage .. live events are still bandwidth hogs and until we all get 50M+ download speeds consistently, 4K content will be mostly "coming".

Only downside to a curved TV is the more limited viewing angle .. perfect for the audience of one or snuggly two, but you lose the image quick when viewing at more than a 30deg angle or so. Where my largest TV is, it would severely limit how many could see it.
Yea it's going in my man cave in the basement two recliners and a small table between them, no windows in that room and yes I even have the Bose sound system

I bet the investment that broadcasters need to make is a large one, and the extra amount that consumers are willing to spend for that content is very little.

It makes total sense that the TV manufacturers need to keep "innovating." If there isn't something wrong with my 55" Samsung... why would I buy a new one? They're hoping the additional feature sets entice people to increase their cycle time on these TVs. If you're a TV manufacturer, you can only increase sales in a couple ways... find new customers, or get current customers to buy again. And, if you haven't added anything to the old product, why would I ever cycle my tech?

I have a decent 65" LG Smart TV... Haven't focused much on my home entertainment system for more than a couple of years until recently. I don't watch a lot of TV except for Football, and I don't really have the patience to sit through an entire movie[emoji1].

However, my wife loves movies, so I recently installed Kodi on our Digital Entertainment Center PC so my wife can stream movies. We watched the new Jack Reacher and Jason Bourne movies, as well as some others you can't buy on DVD yet. Pretty cool, but they looked fine on my LG TV... don't see much need to upgrade yet. If you're just using your TV to stream content, there's just not enough content to make getting a 4K TV a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point I'll look for a larger set. I have a small, cheap 32" set on a wall in our bedroom. Gave the plan to my wife that maybe I should upgrade the Sony XBR 55" set in the man cave to a 70" one, move the 55" to the living room to replace the Samsung 47" set and move that one to the bedroom. She actually liked the plan since the widescreen 32" isn't much different than our old 27" in size (just wider), so I've greased the skids .. though a 47" set with a basic cable adapter box is probably going to have a hideous picture .. so that means one more costly HD box.

At some point I'll look for a larger set. I have a small, cheap 32" set on a wall in our bedroom. Gave the plan to my wife that maybe I should upgrade the Sony XBR 55" set in the man cave to a 70" one, move the 55" to the living room to replace the Samsung 47" set and move that one to the bedroom. She actually liked the plan since the widescreen 32" isn't much different than our old 27" in size (just wider), so I've greased the skids .. though a 47" set with a basic cable adapter box is probably going to have a hideous picture .. so that means one more costly HD box.

Like I said... Home entertainment has been a low priority for me over past couple of years. We still have a 42" Plasma in our bedroom (720p), but we never watch TV in there. I only use it as a monitor for a stick PC I use to play music (hour long playlists of soft instrumentals) every night when we go to bed. I wouldn't want anything larger. We just don't spend any (awake) time in our bedroom. We use the kitchen, living room and bedroom in our house, but we have a TV in every room. Crazy! I'm working on downsizing. If not for all my computers, servers, DJ gear and other electronics, we could live in a tiny house. One TV should be sufficient for us.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue with 4K content is bandwidth .. 4x what's needed for "Full HD - 1080p". Local content will require a shift to Ultra HD BluRay .. either multiple discs or newer, higher capacity ones .. meaning more new hardware. Over the air direct broadcasting, that's getting tougher to allocate that much bandwidth given the shrinkage of allotted space. Streaming over the air (mobile) requires solid 4G+ level data performance and LOTS of costly data. Online is probably the best bet, but today that is typically movies that you can buffer heavily with local storage .. live events are still bandwidth hogs and until we all get 50M+ download speeds consistently, 4K content will be mostly "coming".

And the latest from Comcast is that they want to implement data limits, like your phone has.

And the latest from Comcast is that they want to implement data limits, like your phone has.
No doubt, as the future of TV is IPTV and Comcast won't want to swap their cable revenue for a small % of money via internet fees.

Without High Priced TVs to sell, I have a feeling companies like Best Buy and HHGreg will contract, and decline moving forward. People only purchase Appliances, and new tablets and laptops so often...and now JC Penney stepped into the Appliance market. It seems we have reached market saturation where everybody has at least 1 flatscreen TV, and fewer people are seeing the need to upgrade. TV Sales look to be likely to shrink...especially if the need for 4K isn't there yet, and could be years away if we even get there.

Within the last year I finally upgraded got the whole house upgraded to 1080p. My biggest reason for upgrading is needing HDMI for all the smart boxes/sticks and I was tired over letter boxing on the older TVs. I don't see a reason for 4K right now. I'm not a gamer. The PS 2 is still my newest game console. The 55" in the living room is probably a little to big for the room as it is. 4k has the same aspect ratio as 1080 from what I read. I won't have to think about letter boxing until Super-Duper-Ultra-Deluxe-Slap-Yo-Mama-In-The-Face HD at least 5 years from now.

It's the same thing with Roku, they keep pumping out new models without any logical reason for most people to upgrade. Okay the 4th gen supports 4k but see my above paragraph.

I may be in the minority here but I'm not buying stuff just for the sake of buying it.

Adding to that, 8k is already in the works, plus the change over to ATSC 3.0.

I think 8K will be a niche market .. those that want true cinema at home, and will be exponentially more expensive .. and you'll need 100"+ projection systems to see a real difference. Sort of like lossless audio.