Equipment recommendations

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Patrick

Just One Day At A Time
Sep 2, 2011
Martinsburg WV
www.patrickryanlewis.com
Hey all,

I have taken over as director for the local Rescue Mission. One of the things I am wanting to do is to put a small sound system in place for times we may have musicians coming in or if I might want to do chapel outside. I wanted something small and quick to set up. I am looking at the QSC K12 speakers with a one rack space mixer and one rack space power conditioner. Looking to keep it under $2k is possible.

Anyone have recommendations?

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Hi Patrick .. Starting with the speakers, can't go wrong with with the QSC K12, the Yamaha DXR12, EV EKX12p (ZLX12p also, though plastic not as rugged) or the JBL PRX812. All will do the job and are within a $100 or so of each other. Some have different inputs (JBL has BT) and if I had to narrow it down soundwise, I might go the K12 or DXR12 ways.

For the rest, a lot depends on what you need to plug in .. "musicians" is too open for a easy recommendation. I might not opt for a rack mount, but a simple tabletop mixer (Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft, A&H) and depending on number of inputs needed, you should be able to find something suitable under $300-$400.

Rackmounts are great for fixed use, tougher to connect things if needs are always changing.

I agree with GJ .. you always run out of channels. I have an Allen&Heath Zed12FX and love it for small work. I have even used it on a small band. Got it for $400 at the time.

Here's another great option for just over $300 .. AND it has compression available for the mic channels ... Yamaha MG12XU

MG12XU-large.jpg

So if you only have space for a rack, then you should have space for a combo unit that you could rackmount the yamaha or similar on top and have as many spaces as you need on the bottom for power conditioner etc.
A plastic gator or skb combo unit would be your lightest choice.

sku_view_image.png

With most stuff today, you really don't need a power conditioner. If you want one, you can always go with a smaller unit like this Furman .. Furman SS-6B 6-outlet Power Strip ... .I have 2 of them.

upload_2017-3-24_23-4-14.jpeg

I am also looking at this one

Mackie ProFX12v2 12-Channel Professional FX Mixer with USB

and if I went that route, I would not need a case at all because they make a bag for it

Mackie ProFX12 Bag
Another decent mixer. One thing to do is to signup at KPODJ.com .. they have some of the best gear pricing .. and then use that pricing to negotiate with other places. Guitar Center (same company as Musician's Friend) will normally match. Might save you a bunch (or just order from KPODJ).

Reactions: Patrick
Hey all,

I have taken over as director for the local Rescue Mission. One of the things I am wanting to do is to put a small sound system in place for times we may have musicians coming in or if I might want to do chapel outside. I wanted something small and quick to set up. I am looking at the QSC K12 speakers with a one rack space mixer and one rack space power conditioner. Looking to keep it under $2k is possible.

Anyone have recommendations?

Yea, exactly what you said. K12s

Reactions: Patrick