EV ETX 18SP's

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

aguilas583

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 30, 2016
It's time to upgrade the low end and quit renting QSC KW181's. I have searched the threads around here and done research online, and I think I will be going with 2 ETX 18SP's. I used to do small school dances (maximum 300 people) with my Peavy 15" powered subs, and had to rent the QSC's for bigger dances. I want to sell my Peavys and solely use the EV's. The question I have for the group is what sized events (school dances specifically) have people done with a pair of these? An estimate is fine since there are many variables and standards people have of what is enough power for a dance. I have an idea but real world experience is best. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids LOVE the low end - so the more the better. I probably wouldn't go with any less than 4. You could do it with 2 - but they'll be working really hard and it won't sound as nice.

I've used the EKX 18SPs for numerous high school dances. They've ranged in size from 100-600 people. I can't speak for the ETXs but the the EKX were pushed hard and sounded good. I can only imagine the ETXs would be killer. Killer also to the fact that they weigh a ton! The casters help a lot with that however.

Depending on the size of the dance location, and students, I have seen online that probably around 600 people is the max for two of these...and they will be pushed hard. The ETX's are heavy, but we don't mind right now since we are "young and fit". I may eat my words after the first round of homecoming dances though haha. I just can't get my hands on a pair to listen to in person here in Colorado...which is why I have researched and obsessed over learning how they perform in the real world.

I think for "normal" (non-Danley and such) subs, the ETX are about the hardest hitting .. a bit overkill for weddings and such, but about right for school dances.

So someone is now having me look into the Danley TH118 sub [emoji52]. Supposedly comparable in price as 2 ETX's, but just a lot more bang for the buck. If I do this, then I would keep my Peavy's for weddings, but since 80% of my gigs are school dances, I am thinking this may also be a viable option. I hear that Danleys are just amazing, but I am "scared" because I don't want to feel like I am out of my league. I know a lot, but handling something of that caliber is making me apprehensive. Any thoughts by y'all that are more experienced?

Danley makes incredible gear. Downside is 160 pounds for a passive box. Another similar box is the JTR Orbit Shifter: Orbit Shifter Pro

Functionally, no different than other subs, just a massive driver and a well built cabinet.

Another killer sub up in that category is the RCF Sub 8004-AS (or the 8005 if you want a 21").

Reactions: aguilas583
What's your budget? And what is the size of the events you're looking to handle.

My budget is $3,000. What I would love to do with the bass is 500-600 person dance (school dance). I did 1000 people with 4 QSC KW181's in a school gym and it sounded ok. Students were happy (got repeat business with them) and it was plenty loud without clipping. I didn't really "feel" the bass though unless you were in the front 30 feet. I just don't want to rent and start buying better gear to get a good ROI to gain a little more per dance.

Danley makes incredible gear. Downside is 160 pounds for a passive box. Another similar box is the JTR Orbit Shifter: Orbit Shifter Pro

Functionally, no different than other subs, just a massive driver and a well built cabinet.

It is quite heavy indeed and big. It's the size of a double 18 box. I am taking that into heavy consideration. But 137 continuous dBSPL (measured) is insane to me coming out of a single 18". That is incredible technology.

3000 bucks is a good chunk! If you got it hit it with 2 Etx18sp. Or Get one for now. Get the other later,,,,,

Can't go wrong with qsc! Good equipment! Good service after the sale! And certainly easy to get parts!

Go with qsc is my vote! Look on a website called fullcompass.com and see how much replacement parts cost!

My budget is $3,000. What I would love to do with the bass is 500-600 person dance (school dance). I did 1000 people with 4 QSC KW181's in a school gym and it sounded ok. Students were happy (got repeat business with them) and it was plenty loud without clipping. I didn't really "feel" the bass though unless you were in the front 30 feet. I just don't want to rent and start buying better gear to get a good ROI to gain a little more per dance.

Yea,,,, your not going to move that much air with only 72 inches of drivers! But you are heading in the right direction!

Takes a lot of drivers and a lot of power to start feeling the chest pounding from far out!

Last edited:
Dang...that is a nice sub. Quite pricey indeed.

It'll exceed your budget... but the rcf8004 is a good option. I had two kw181 and now have 2 8004's and it's a night and day difference. Biggest event so far is 700... idk how 2 would do for 1000teens though.

How do you think 4 qsc kw181s would stack up against the 2 8004's?

How do you think 4 qsc kw181s would stack up against the 2 8004's?
I can't really say as it's not something I've had to experience. I mean technically when you have subs coupled they are more effective so perhaps 4 lower powered subs coupled all together could be more effective than just 2 coupled together. Then again... who really wants to carry and transport 4 subs lol. The sound quality on the rcfs is a big difference though.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
And the RCF 8004 are only $2486.11 at kpodj.com .. :)