Evox 12s Have Less Power Than I Expected

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Actually, the EVOX 12 is a bit better there .. it has a 90 deg horizontal pattern, whereas the EVOX 8 is 135 degrees (if I recall correctly). The EVOX 8 is not a great outdoor speaker, the EVOX 12 is better.

Also I'm assuming you aren't running with any high pass filter engaged?
Once proper gain is set as per Steve's recommendation and you have experimented with the results from that, try inserting a high pass at 45-50hz and see if you can push any more out of it before it limits.
It may not help depending on how any internal dsp or x-over is already setup to protect the system but a hpf will at least tell you if the low freqs are the cause.

Correct, I don't high pass it at all except when using the filter effect on my controller. From the way the light was coming on, it's certainly the low frequencies causing it. But I really don't have an interest in having a louder high end without taking the subs along with it. The sound needs to stay balanced.

Reactions: ittigger
The sound needs to stay balanced.
I agree, but a 45-50hz hpf might allow you to wring a little more out of it while still giving you the low end kick you need.
Most of these all in one array systems are a compromise of some sort either through design or internal dsp or a combination thereof, so regardless of what the spec sheet may say about their freq response, if you really want the bass you would still need fill subs anyways.

Actually, the EVOX 12 is a bit better there .. it has a 90 deg horizontal pattern, whereas the EVOX 8 is 135 degrees (if I recall correctly). The EVOX 8 is not a great outdoor speaker, the EVOX 12 is better.
Wow, you are correct. I'm getting my EVOX's mixed up. I looked at the 12's spec sheet a lot closer, and at least on paper, I think it should have done a lot better than Ross described. Is there any way to adjust the DSP besides that loudness (boost) switch?

Wow, you are correct. I'm getting my EVOX's mixed up. I looked at the 12's spec sheet a lot closer, and at least on paper, I think it should have done a lot better than Ross described. Is there any way to adjust the DSP besides that loudness (boost) switch?
No .. just the "bass boost" for low volume use .. and a mic/line switch, which might affect the limiting. It is something I would have liked on it .. can't even adjust the balance between the bass unit and the linear array unit (though it seems to be fine).

I agree, but a 45-50hz hpf might allow you to wring a little more out of it while still giving you the low end kick you need.
Most of these all in one array systems are a compromise of some sort either through design or internal dsp or a combination thereof, so regardless of what the spec sheet may say about their freq response, if you really want the bass you would still need fill subs anyways.

I agree. Try adding a high pass butterworth filter at 40 Hz or a little higher with a 24 dB/octave slope for starters. RCF lists the frequency range starts at 40 Hz, but does not list it as -3 dB , -6 dB, or -10 dB. As with most powered speakers they don't list if any high pass filter is engaged and what it is set as. You may get louder punch and greater headroom by adding your own hpf. Send only frequencies the speakers can handle as designed. If you want to avoid using additional hardware to do this and you play music mostly from a PC and you use DJ software like Virtual DJ that supports the use of VST plugins, you can get a true high pass filter for free using the VST plugin from the link below. They have LR and BW filter options with slopes as great as 18 dB/octave.

EngineersFilter by rs-met - Filter VST Plugin

I would avoid adding any compression to try and get higher SPL. In my opinion this is the wrong tool to use. Like Steve said, you lose dynamics and you don't want it to sound like an AM radio. Also adding compression to try and make it louder will just lower the crest factor and add additional heat to wear down and possibly damage your speakers if you ride hard on the compression. Using a peak limiter as a precaution is fine to help prevent damage from mic drops, runaway feedback, or unauthorized master fader changes, but compression should not be used to try and get additional PA SPL.

One other thing just to add to this edit, you can't really expect/compare this system alone to match the bass output and extension of your 181s. As stated earlier most of the time on these systems the limitations are usually first with the bass before the mid/top limitations. You can always add additional properly crossed over subwoofers to cover larger crowds.

Last edited:
Try adding a high pass butterworth filter at 40 Hz or a little higher with a 24 dB/octave slope for starters. RCF lists the frequency range starts at 40 Hz, but does not list it as -3 dB , -6 dB, or -10 dB. As with most powered speakers they don't list if any high pass filter is engaged and what it is set as. You may get louder punch and greater headroom by adding your own hpf. Send only frequencies the speakers can handle as designed.

This is the frequency plot of the Evox 12 - EVOX 12.jpg
The response curve from 25Hz to 50Hz is almost a classic 24db/oct High Pass Filter, so it probably already has one - further filtering isn't the answer. They do not state if this plot was done with the "boost" option turned on, but this sure looks like what used to be called a "loudness curve".

One other thing just to add to this edit, you can't really expect/compare this system alone to match the bass output and extension of your 181s. As stated earlier most of the time on these systems the limitations are usually first with the bass before the mid/top limitations.

I was running a single 181 under K10 tops. I thought dual 15s should at least be able to hang with a single 18. I'm not expecting blowout bass by any means. But I rarely if ever reached the limiter on the KW181. It just surprised me to find myself flirting with it so soon on the Evox.

I was running a single 181 under K10 tops. I thought dual 15s should at least be able to hang with a single 18.
Yes and No. Here's what happens. The double 15's can move as much air as a single 18, so they should be able to get as loud, but their frequency response still remains the same. Unfortunately, QSC doesn't publish a frequency response graph for the KW181, just two numbers. It's -6db @ 40 Hz, and -10db @ 37 Hz. Looking at the graph of the EVOX 12, it looks about -10db @ 40 Hz and maybe -15 db @ 37 Hz - you are loosing the really low frequencies, and that doesn't change by adding more of them when they are not coupled - they just get louder, not lower.

Perhaps that is what you are not hearing?

Perhaps that is what you are not hearing?

I don't think so, but it's possible that is part of it. I knew I'd be giving up some of the lowest end response. I think my main thing is that I didn't expect to see the limiter come on. And I've always treated that as a warning sign in the past that I was running the system too hot. If these are intended to be run at that level normally... I'll just need to give them another test and see how I feel at the end of that gig.

I'm doing three events this weekend, but none are on my gear. I'll have my stuff out again on the 7th to try again.

Why not do a Speaker Shoot Out? Set up Your EVOX12 system, and your EVs with Whatever other Sub you have and compare the sound differences.

If the EVOX12 is as loud as your ZLX Speakers then maybe it's just the different type of sound you are having an issue deciphering.

I don't have a problem using a single TSUB12 and 2 TS110As for a wedding with 175 to 200 guests. That is a $900 sound system. I can't believe a EVOX12 would have trouble handling a 200 guest wedding. Especially for the cost of a pair of those.

Why not do a Speaker Shoot Out? Set up Your EVOX12 system, and your EVs with Whatever other Sub you have and compare the sound differences.

If the EVOX12 is as loud as your ZLX Speakers then maybe it's just the different type of sound you are having an issue deciphering.

I don't have a problem using a single TSUB12 and 2 TS110As for a wedding with 175 to 200 guests. That is a $900 sound system. I can't believe a EVOX12 would have trouble handling a 200 guest wedding. Especially for the cost of a pair of those.

It's just difficult to find a place to do it. I live in a condo community, but have a garage to store my stuff. I can't really let my systems rip without taking them somewhere. But if I can find some time, I might set up a shootout of some kind.

It would probably be after the wedding season, I'm slammed through October.

Many years ago when considering powered speakers, I narrowed the list down to FBT and RCF. The specs were pretty close back then, but I didn't like the look of the "pot-bellied" subwoofer. However, since then the look is more pleasing, to me. I went with the RCF ART series 200 tops (12") and 800 subs (15"). Subsequently, purchased a new Primary system (Yorkville) and relegated the RCF ART series as backup and small to medium weddings. Ultimately, the ART Tops became my Ceremony system and Cocktail Hour service. At larger events, they were used to supplement the Yorkville 15" tops and 18" sub...for side fill and more low end. The Yorkville NX 750P had a good throw for those larger events. Ultimately, sold the Yorkville's and purchased the Evox 8 system due to pre-downsizing for future relocation. Eventually, sold the initial RCF ART series prior to re-locating. The RCF EVOX 8 cover any event that I currently do. Although, I'm re-thinking what to do for Ceremony service. Granted one side of the Evox 8 is logistically not a problem to pack up and move.

Last edited:
Count your blessings. We should all be so lucky.

It's some combination of being fortunate, and just putting in the work. I'm thankful to be busy, but I certainly didn't just fall ass backwards into a bunch of gigs.