Evox 12s Have Less Power Than I Expected

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Man, this is sad to read. I was really hoping it work for you!

I owned a pair of K-10s and was never impressed with them b/c of what you are debiting here in your EVOX experience. So opposite reaction, but I also don't own the RCF to compare.

I will admit, I never ran the K-10s with the QSC KW181, instead LS720 (15s).

So maybe the low end is solely the problem, but since it's a system, you can't just replace the sub.

What are you latest thoughts? You going to sell it?

Reactions: ittigger
What are you latest thoughts? You going to sell it?

I'm going to take them out and road test them a few more times before I really decide. I figure the re-sale value after 1 gig and 5 gigs is pretty much the same... so I might as well try them a few more times. I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to go a different direction.

Finished gig number two with them last night... very different experience. I had them spread super wide (on the sides of the stage) in a 180 year old barn that has been converted into a performing arts center.

Evox at Wolf Trap.jpg

Certainly being inside made a difference. And all-wood rooms tend to resonate much better, which I also found to be true.

But part of what I noticed was my original fear about line array style speakers in the first place. The volume was at the level I wanted it on the dance floor (which was tiny...) but really freaking loud in the back of the room. The long throw on these is really wild. I ran Bose in the back of this room, but I really don't think I needed them using the Evox. I think the toasts and whatnot would have carried.

I'm used to being able to control my volume where it's loud on the dance floor, but the rest of the guests can chat comfortably. I don't think I really had that last night.

The learning curve continues...

If that's where I think it is, that's a rather large room.

I agree that wood rooms resonate better.

The benefit of arrays is that volume seems to spread farther - the con is that it's the same volume in the front as in the back. If it's the location I'm thinking, then your speakers were on a stage? above heads - which made it travel even easier.

Last edited:
If that's where I think it is, that's a rather large room.

I agree that wood rooms resonate better.

The benefit of arrays is that volume seems to spread farther - the con is that it's the same volume in the front as in the back. If it's the location I'm thinking, then your speakers were on a stage? above heads - which made it travel even easier.

The venue was The Barns at Wolf Trap. The room was sat for about 120 guests, and the dance floor space was tight.

I actually had the speakers on the floor at the base of the stairs on each side (not my photo):
10WeddingReceptionBarnStageBWT.jpg

maybe try lowering the array.

I will definitely try that next. I have another two weddings coming up this weekend. One is tented with a slightly higher guest count at 175. I'm also going to bring my KW-181 to supplement the bass during dancing to see how the overall sound responds to a bit more low end.

I think the jury is still out on these "column systems", and if you still need to augment the bass, they just seem to make less sense.

There is nothing new about "vertical line sources", and in fact, the "Hi-End" audio world has long since lost their fascination with them. The in thing now is what's known as an M-T-M arrangement. My next DIY project will probably be similar to a JTR Noesis -
Noesis 2AX

It is 11.5" wide, and weighs 39 pounds. I still run passive, so the woodwork will be the hardest part of the job. This arrangement (which is still relatively narrow), on a pole, over a conventional sub, just seems to make a lot of sense - and (at least on paper) should sound great.

I don't think the jury is out on the linear array speakers, I think they are perfect for "certain" situations .. they just aren't the answer some might have hoped for for everything.

They cover larger areas consistently they tend to look less obtrusive and in the case of the EVOX 8, pack pretty small. My conventional system (JBL PRX over Yamaha sub) hit harder and are more controllable in highly reverberant rooms .. but I will still use the EVOX 95% of the time, since they sound more integrated overall.

I think I prefer conventional setups outdoors, but indoors, the aesthetics and overall package of the linear arrays is a winner in my book .. unless SPL is your need.

As for MTM, I would prefer TMM, since I can keep a top HF driver over the heads of people at a lower height than would be needed to get a MTM HF unit above heads .. like this db Technologies Ingenia IG3T (though I would have no issue with any JTR speaker):

upload_2017-10-9_13-19-58.jpeg

I'm an RCF/FBT guy; I love their products and am sure these new array systems sound terrific! With that being said, their marketing department has done a fantastic job figuring out how to get people to cough up money for something that they don't actually need. I am guessing, but I'd bet the majority of sales went to those who already had a perfectly fine, if not excellent, sound system. I won't let them suck me in! I'll stick with my lightweight, articulate FBT tops and wonderfully musical RCF subs.

I'm an RCF/FBT guy; I love their products and am sure these new array systems sound terrific! With that being said, their marketing department has done a fantastic job figuring out how to get people to cough up money for something that they don't actually need. I am guessing, but I'd bet the majority of sales went to those who already had a perfectly fine, if not excellent, sound system. I won't let them suck me in! I'll stick with my lightweight, articulate FBT tops and wonderfully musical RCF subs.
Depends on what you mean .. don't need.

I seriously need to downsize (actually down weight) my system because of a partially herniated disc. Lifting a 5 pound top is FAAARRR better than a 82 pound one (my older Yorkville Unitys). The RCF EVOX 8 also sound BETTER than my other system, so it's a win-win. And it packs into the same space as just my previous subs .. winner, winner, chicken dinner !

Depends on what you mean .. don't need.

I seriously need to downsize (actually down weight) my system because of a partially herniated disc. Lifting a 5 pound top is FAAARRR better than a 82 pound one (my older Yorkville Unitys). The RCF EVOX 8 also sound BETTER than my other system, so it's a win-win. And it packs into the same space as just my previous subs .. winner, winner, chicken dinner !

Talk about heavy. Before I purchase my Yorkville system (tops and single 18" sub), I was using a pair of 3-way Mackie 1530's. Decent sound, but didn't throw all that far...and they were a B...h to move. I would put them on a milk crate w/flat-top to get them up off the floor. Kept them for about 3 years.

Obviously you needed it Steve. I wrote of those that didn't need a new system.
But still, they sound pretty damn good .... even if you don't NEED it .. :)

What everyone also needs to remember is - I think all the DSP's in the new powered speakers do not take into account the room. I do not DJ at a lot of different venues. If I did (look at the ceiling in that barn!!) I'd probably add a Behringer DEQ2496 to my rig. I already carry a mic on a 25' cord, and in 5 minutes I probably could get real-time analysis right on the dance floor with it's Auto EQ function - better and faster than if trying to do it by ear. Devices like this used to cost a fortune, no more (about $300).