Finally found out why the sub wouldn't work.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
have you seen his set up might that give you a clue

I'm not sure a picture could give me the answer to this one those things are built almost fail safe

IMG_0011.PNG
Do these Yorkville LS800P/801P's eat woofers for breakfast? How did yours fail?

Mix, if yours failed because the "tinsel" broke or is burnt, this is also an option (if you know someone handy with a soldering iron) -
3500w Braided Speaker Tinsel Lead Wire .081'' Dia.

Even if it looks OK, measure it with an ohm meter.
No, I don't own any yorkville equipment. So I cant say if they tear up drivers or not.

I can tell you that in most PA systems, the number one culprit is overextending the cone to the extent that the surrounds do not handle the high tension evenly. The cone distorts the lineararity of the slider and usually shorts the slider coil to the fixed magnet and creates a dead short. Sometimes this short sounds like a balloon popping or a gun shot!
The coil gets very hot and is called a burnt voice coil! Sometimes it welds the coil and the driver doesn't move, but most of the time you can move the coil by hand but sounds scratchy!

How does a coil get overextended???? The number one cause of this is call unloading the driver!
What is the number one cause of unloading the driver is ........... usually almost always phasing!
What causes phasing issues???? There has been many threads on phasing issues on this website, but usually due to ".....................different sizes or different enclosure or just different drivers trying to produce the same frequencies!

There are a lot of reasons, but these are the usual ones caused by the un-informed pa owner.

Here is an example of the importance of a linear slider of a speaker in this picture!

Last edited:
Here are some other great resources from Electrovoice most apply to any PA system especially the PA Bible and it's all free downloads. A friend gave me a hard copy of the PA bible years ago there's a lot to learn for the average user in there

http://www.electrovoice.com/downloads.php?

Yes .. Studio Six Digital .. AudioTools ... currently $20 .. I think I paid $10 .. here's what it includes: In-App Purchase Pricing | Studio Six Digital and the iTunes listing: AudioTools on the App Store
Thanks! Now, before someone accuses me of becoming myopic, I simply want to verify (and possibly correct) some room caused effects my ears are already detecting.

We are operating according to the following -

'Nowadays, much emphasis is placed on 24-bit recordings, with a dynamic range exceeding 140dB. Use these test tones to realize how 16-bit supersedes by far the dynamic range offered by your listening environment.

"At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need? (a quote from the internet)." '

Thanks! Now, before someone accuses me of becoming myopic, I simply want to verify (and possibly correct) some room caused effects my ears are already detecting.

We are operating according to the following -

'Nowadays, much emphasis is placed on 24-bit recordings, with a dynamic range exceeding 140dB. Use these test tones to realize how 16-bit supersedes by far the dynamic range offered by your listening environment.

"At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need? (a quote from the internet)." '
The crap being created today could actually use 8-bit recording ... might sound better.

I just knew I had once read another "Bible" on this subject, but my ol' brain just couldn't remember it. Thanks!

I do not know what the copyright restrictions are on this stuff, but the latter part of this thread has "sticky" written all over it.

I use JBL tools and RTA....I'm sure there's better but for what I need it for it's plenty