Weddings Finding and Targeting Your Ideal Client

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

bombdhell89

P.S. The Name's Jason!
So I've been talking to a few other vendors in my area about how they go about doing this. It's all good stuff but it's not DJ specific. Some of the other DJ's in my area are rather tight-lipped about how they do business unless it's in return for a guarantee of referrals to them...

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm gearing to target higher end brides who aren't as concerned about price as they are the quality of their event.. So far, it's been pretty rare in my area. There are higher end venues, so there has got to be higher end brides, right?

In your guys' markets, how do you find YOUR perfect client and how do you set yourself up to be THEIR DJ?

If you want higher end clients you will need to become friends with venue managers, coordinators, and high end wedding planners.

High end clients who pay higher rates come from referrals from people in positions of influence. It's really that simple.

In order to get in with them, you need to be seen by them at least one time, and you need to WOW them on some level. On top of that you need to NETWORK with them. It helps if they also see you at networking meetings. Perhaps area wedding professionals networks. BMI is also possible, but BMI does have monthly fees. I have been invited to come participate with two local BMI chapters this year, but I haven't bothered because I know the fees add up.

It helps to have higher end marketing. You also need some real reviews online clients can go to read. At least 10 or so as a start.

It will feel like you aren't getting any where, but try to visit local venues and speak to the managers. Just be yourself. Most managers will blow you off, or not bother giving your info out, BUT you might find ONE or maybe two who give you a chance and refer you to a few of their clients.

Ditto Ricky B.
You need to get on the preferred vendor list for high-end venues and wedding planners.

Plus, I feel that once you have decided to target a specific audience then stick to it. Don't do budget weddings.
Be choosy with how you present yourself, and don't settle.

If you do bridal shows, don't do the shows where the prospects are there just for free merchandise-- find the luxury and high end bridal shows. (None in your area? Create one! You will present yourself to your market as the high-end premier DJ.) Think Mercedes-Benz and BMW, not Chevrolet or Toyota. Chevy and Toyota offer so many cars at so many price levels and quality levels. Mercedes-Benz and BMW only offer luxury and stick to their price.

Reactions: bombdhell89
I can't tell you from experience because I get a mix of clients from different demographics. Of course your marketing has to appeal to this crowd which means your website must have high quality photos of weddings in beautiful venues. And it's hard to get those photos if your current weddings are at the VFW. Being part of that crowd would be the best way to get your foot in that door. Members of the country club or yacht club that are DJs will have first hand networking opportunities.

Getting on preferred vendor lists doesn't come easy because every DJ is vying for that position. Those that have been in the business for a long time and have been wowing everyone every time are already at the top of those lists.

It will take time for the rest of us. Keep improving your performance and keep giving excellent customer service.

Don't be fooled into thinking that to be successful you need to be in the service of the wealthy or chasing the most ostentatious of events. That is very far from the truth.

First get a realistic assessment of the reality of all activity to which your skills or knowledge can be applied. If you do not have an educated perspective on this then seek out a consultant or staffing agent to assess your skills and potential. They can provide you with a profile of all the types of work that you could be doing. That will allow you to assess the cash flow and income potential from a variety of realistic each verticals.

If you settle exclusively on something very narrow such as "weddings" then it should be a truly informed choice and not because of a faulty assumption that this is an area where wealthy people like to throw money away.

Many entertainers centered entirely on weddings are either part-time or have additional significant ways to expand their participation in that market. They may have relatives who are photographers, caterers, decorators, etc. and are able to greatly expand the income and profit potential of any one sale beyond the scope of DJ entertainment. This is core capacity and resourcefulness is very different than an "up sell" which is simply a function of inventory.

Cash flow comes from continuous and self sustaining business operations and your wages come from profit. It matters not where you find that profit. So don't allow your self to get bedazzled by glitter and glam. Do some serious research about your own skills and the location or market you are in. There is no shortage of 30-something braggarts who claim to be working smarter not harder while still living with mom.

My opinion, the first key is great photos. If you can show a prospect, and not just the rich ones, that you're a high-end provider, that is where the increase in rates begins, IMHO. Continually (and relentlessly) working on your presentation quality and consistency will be what opens the doors with related vendors for their referrals. I found that vendor referrals almost always prove to be the least haggling over price of any type of prospect. The third key is YOUR mentality and presentation. If you believe you're a $500 DJ then you won't become a $1000 DJ. I'm not saying to jump your prices double overnight. That's a recipe for zero bookings. A consistent and planned raising of rates, say $50 per year, is a good place to start. Also, post your prices online, clearly, for everyone to see. Speaking of wedding work, it's my perception that girls typically have a general budget available and they usually want to get the most they can for that money. If you're priced just at the top of that average budget, and you have the slick presentation phones/reviews/image, they you'll be the first guy they're going after.

No, you do not pay yourself from profit - profit is what is left after all bills are paid and being the management and labor of the business you are an expense just like marketing or gear is.

Seems everyone thinks 'profit' is their paycheck and that kind of thinking will sink your business in a hurry. No, profit can be considered the payment for the investment you made in the business, the return on the gear you buy, the risk you're taking with that investment.

You own your gear (no debt) so you figure you do a gig for $200 and you have $200 in profit. Hardly. You have $200 in revenue or sales.

If you spent money on advertising, phone, mileage, music, insurance you have expenses that come out of that $200. So great, the $150 left over is profit,right? Hardly.

You spend time buying music, practicing, eduction, marketing, prepping for a gig, time spent selling the client - all that time needs paid for as well as the time to pack/drive/setup/perform.
If you did those things for me you'd want paid for them, right? My profit comes after paying you then as you're an expense to me...so why are you not an expense to your company?

So how many hours do you spend doing all that stuff? times what you want paid ($20/hour?More? less?) and suddenly you may find you're business isn't making any profit at all!

Don't be fooled into thinking that to be successful you need to be in the service of the wealthy or chasing the most ostentatious of events. That is very far from the truth.

First get a realistic assessment of the reality of all activity to which your skills or knowledge can be applied. If you do not have an educated perspective on this then seek out a consultant or staffing agent to assess your skills and potential. They can provide you with a profile of all the types of work that you could be doing. That will allow you to assess the cash flow and income potential from a variety of realistic each verticals.

If you settle exclusively on something very narrow such as "weddings" then it should be a truly informed choice and not because of a faulty assumption that this is an area where wealthy people like to throw money away.

Many entertainers centered entirely on weddings are either part-time or have additional significant ways to expand their participation in that market. They may have relatives who are photographers, caterers, decorators, etc. and are able to greatly expand the income and profit potential of any one sale beyond the scope of DJ entertainment. This is core capacity and resourcefulness is very different than an "up sell" which is simply a function of inventory.

Cash flow comes from continuous and self sustaining business operations and your wages come from profit. It matters not where you find that profit. So don't allow your self to get bedazzled by glitter and glam. Do some serious research about your own skills and the location or market you are in. There is no shortage of 30-something braggarts who claim to be working smarter not harder while still living with mom.

Thanks for all the replies- Good stuff! Keep it comin'!

At the risk of sounding naive/ignorant: My thoughts are if you're a great wedding DJ, you're probably going to be pretty good at other events; i.e. car shows, parties, and other events which don't require the meticulous planning, attention to detail, impeccable and consistent presentation, etc. that weddings do. I see the potential to earn more and expand into different markets, but that said, are couples inclined to hire the same DJ who does the 4th of July Car Show for their wedding? And if so, are there presumptions that exist which may preclude that DJ from charging (significantly) more for that wedding?

My take, you won't get the same wages for car shows. The only thing that will happen is that the bride will hear you charged $300 for the car show and wonder why you're trying to charge her $1,000 for her wedding. The only way to be successful at this, again my opinion, is that you have to develop a solid and consistent rate structure and stick with it. Otherwise, you'll always be fighting the "how low can you go" game. Also, image-wise, it's pretty hard to sell yourself as a high-end jock when you're out in jeans doing the car show (low-class image).

Can you give me an example as to how you approach this, Rick?

As I've said many times, pick a price, then put it in writing on your website. Then don't take anything for less money. In my case, I charge $750 for basic DJ. It's the same for 3 hours, 4 hours, a birthday, etc. I don't waver. End result, I don't get a lot of birthday parties and everybody understands when I won't discount for less hours. I can tell you from experience, this costs me some gigs that I actually wouldn't mind working, however, it keeps my revenue stream consistent and towards the upper end of the market. Obviously, there's a sliding scale on how many gigs a high price will cost you so it's up to you to discover where your sweet spot is on gigs worked versus revenue generated. I can tell you that since I've solidified my rates my clientele has morphed into a better-quality client and it puts me squarely in the "premium DJ" category with the related vendors on referrals.

Good luck with your choices.

As I've said many times, pick a price, then put it in writing on your website. Then don't take anything for less money. In my case, I charge $750 for basic DJ. It's the same for 3 hours, 4 hours, a birthday, etc. I don't waver. End result, I don't get a lot of birthday parties and everybody understands when I won't discount for less hours. I can tell you from experience, this costs me some gigs that I actually wouldn't mind working, however, it keeps my revenue stream consistent and towards the upper end of the market. Obviously, there's a sliding scale on how many gigs a high price will cost you so it's up to you to discover where your sweet spot is on gigs worked versus revenue generated. I can tell you that since I've solidified my rates my clientele has morphed into a better-quality client and it puts me squarely in the "premium DJ" category with the related vendors on referrals.

Good luck with your choices.

Thanks Rick!

It's not true that $300 customers beget more $300 customers. What will occur is that a middle school dance will beget more middle school age events. That might mean Sweet 16's in someone garage ($300) or at a country club ($1,000).

You need to be savvy enough to know when the character of an event and hence your responsibility/liabilities have substantially changed and then price that appropriately. I can easily find someone to work an informal social at a middle school cafeteria - which is why the value of that event is so low. For parents and teens together at a formal Sweet 16 dinner party in a country club the stakes are much higher and there are fewer professional DJs capable of working at that level. Hence, it is much more costly because, my replacement cost just got much higher.

While you only deliver what is required at that value you still have to present yourself at all times and in all ways as someone who is capable of delivering significantly higher value. That means I'm still gonna be an effective personality and emcee even at the $300 dance. While there are plenty of other $300 DJs working that circuit - I will tend to stand out as someone capable of a higher station.

That is what will prompt the customer with a higher dollar value to come over and ask if you have the resources to do an event of significantly higher value. You can in fact book $1,000+ events by being present at $300 events but, the events need to be type where people of various social stations co-mingle. That meas schools, civic and business events - not a small cliche of friends having a birthday party in the back room of some hole-in-the-wall bar.