Bar & Club Hearing more about BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc..?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

JoeChartreuse

New DJ
Dec 12, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
I was wondering if anyone outside of my area has been noticing more activity from these so-called "artist organizations" ( you know, the ones the artists have to sue to get what is theirs?) around your venues/bars lately.

They seem to have upped their pace dramatically in my area, and I was wondering if this is a nationwide push, or just regional?

Same here. ASCAP & BMI have been to every one of my venues and the little local wineries. All of my venues were already in compliance.

As far as I know, they haven't made a blip on the radar around here.

I pay ASCAP for my remixes... I havent done any for a while (couple months), but their prices per credit didnt seem to go up. It's different for every song though, so its really hard to tell.

its getting worse down under
the clubs are targeted more than the mobile industry

no license your busted period! so is the club

I've got venues here that don't want to deal with them on PRINCIPLE! Hard to believe but true. They figure that artists' groups should pay their artists what's due them without having to be sued by them. I get that, and agree with it. However, these organizations have managed to garner enough juice to pretty much do what they want, so it's pay or pay more, I guess.

DJs have no money :p... it's the venue (or sponsor of the show) that is supposed to pay the fees (including those that put on and promote their own shows).

DJs have no money :p... it's the venue (or sponsor of the show) that is supposed to pay the fees (including those that put on and promote their own shows).

Yea, I know the way it's suppose to work. That's common sense. My concern is that they'll eventually start dragging us into their legal extortion web.

Yea, I know the way it's suppose to work. That's common sense. My concern is that they'll eventually start dragging us into their legal extortion web.

They may try, but it is the group/individual actually making a profit on the use of the songs, that is liable, so unless that is you (self-promoted event that some here do), there doesn't appear to be a way to get the DJ (though someone may try - God bless America).

They may try, but it is the group/individual actually making a profit on the use of the songs, that is liable, so unless that is you (self-promoted event that some here do), there doesn't appear to be a way to get the DJ (though someone may try - God bless America).

I hope you're right but I sure don't trust any of those organizations as far as I could throw them. If they can find a way to extract money from us DJs, they'll do it.

On a somewhat un-related note, I had an issue with the musician's union several years back. When I first started working the Opry, we all got strong-armed into joining the union. When my artist started being taken out I dropped my membership. Weird part was, the Opry was sending my checks to the union hall, who would turn around and bill me for their cut, even though I was no longer a union member. Even after I quit doing spots, I kept getting collection notices and .20 charges added to my so-called balance. I let the game run for a few years, as it was a bit comical to me but finally had to send them a notice that I was going to charge them $2000 per statement as a "statement reading fee". I sent it certified mail. Funny thing, I never got another notice after that.

I hope you're right but I sure don't trust any of those organizations as far as I could throw them. If they can find a way to extract money from us DJs, they'll do it.

On a somewhat un-related note, I had an issue with the musician's union several years back. When I first started working the Opry, we all got strong-armed into joining the union. When my artist started being taken out I dropped my membership. Weird part was, the Opry was sending my checks to the union hall, who would turn around and bill me for their cut, even though I was no longer a union member. Even after I quit doing spots, I kept getting collection notices and .20 charges added to my so-called balance. I let the game run for a few years, as it was a bit comical to me but finally had to send them a notice that I was going to charge them $2000 per statement as a "statement reading fee". I sent it certified mail. Funny thing, I never got another notice after that.

Now .. if you do the "Rick's WetLand Reception Spot" .. then you will be liable.

Reactions: 1 person
After reading about the RIAA extortion ring, I think I just might start looking more into open-source music. This is getting ridiculous.