Here I am AGAIN - UGH!!!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Tig,
I love that you are that passionate about ethics, but consider this.
Police officers, judges, and other officials have all "stretched" the law to fit the situation.
There is a thing called "the SPIRIT of the law".
If you own 50,000 songs that you bought legally and used for your entire career...
I truly don't think that playing one "impossible to purchase" song off the internet, makes you unethical.

Tig,
I love that you are that passionate about ethics, but consider this.
Police officers, judges, and other officials have all "stretched" the law to fit the situation.
There is a thing called "the SPIRIT of the law".
If you own 50,000 songs that you bought legally and used for your entire career...
I truly don't think that playing one "impossible to purchase" song off the internet, makes you unethical.

I don't disagree - which is why I added my note about "one off's", such as youtube only - but there has to be a limit.

I don't disagree - which is why I added my note about "one off's", such as youtube only - but there has to be a limit.

I think DJs who scream about using pirated music need to temper their passion and their rhetoric. Like most of you, I'm also careful to make sure my music is purchased but I think we all know that there simply are times where you can't get it through proper channels and yet, we still have clients demanding certain versions. Sometimes, there simply is no other way but to download off youtube. Those who want to make a federal case out of that are being a little unrealistic in their ethical demands.

I was under the impression that most streaming services cache the next song or two. Google Play does there are plenty of times I loose service while driving (sometimes for 10-15mi) and the music still plays smoothly.
I believe this is true for all of them. But in a fixed location, if service is bad to start with, or Verizon has issues, I don't want to be caught off guard. It's becoming less and less of an issue, but still a potential problem

Frankly, I can't recall ever having to get a track off of YouTube to play at a gig. Lucky I guess. However, if I ever need a song, and I can play it from some (any) source, it's mine if I want it.[emoji1] There just aren't that many songs you can't buy somewhere, and even fewer I'd actually want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think DJs who scream about using pirated music need to temper their passion and their rhetoric. Like most of you, I'm also careful to make sure my music is purchased but I think we all know that there simply are times where you can't get it through proper channels and yet, we still have clients demanding certain versions. Sometimes, there simply is no other way but to download off youtube. Those who want to make a federal case out of that are being a little unrealistic in their ethical demands.

I agree - however, my initial response was in reply to people not accepting that you can't get a song (which may or may not be available) - and there are times and tons of music that simply cannot be gotten, nor should you feel compelled to make someone believe you could.

There are obviously times where I think stepping outside the line is the only way it will work. I don't think any one person here (or in any other DJ business) has gotten more work because they were able to improperly acquire or play a few songs.

Reactions: Albatross
I agree - however, my initial response was in reply to people not accepting that you can't get a song (which may or may not be available) - and there are times and tons of music that simply cannot be gotten, nor should you feel compelled to make someone believe you could.

There are obviously times where I think stepping outside the line is the only way it will work. I don't think any one person here (or in any other DJ business) has gotten more work because they were able to improperly acquire or play a few songs.
To mimic politics .. it's not improperly acquiring .. it's alt-sourcing.

I was under the impression that most streaming services cache the next song or two. Google Play does there are plenty of times I loose service while driving (sometimes for 10-15mi) and the music still plays smoothly.

There are plenty of "Youtube to mp3" converters out there.
Takes some of the worry out of an "iffy" connection.

The version I have definately has a 'rap' verse or two mixed into the standard Cupid Shuffle.

My file name for it is

Cupid ft. DJ UNK - Cupid Shuffle (Remix) 10-08

Might this be the one?

DJ: "I can't get a copy of that song"

Client: "If I send you a copy, will you play it?"

DJ: "Uhh...."

*Client rips song from youtube, and doesn't care that it sounds like doodoo*

*DJ probably plays the song reluctantly, result is the exact same as if they had ripped it*

I don't like doing it, but if I explained to a client that a track isn't commercially available, and that it won't sound good... but they insist that's the version they want... I'm not here to be the police for their event. I'd play it, and then delete that version so I don't accidentally play it again for anyone else.

DJ: "I can't get a copy of that song"

Client: "If I send you a copy, will you play it?"

DJ: "Uhh...."

*Client rips song from youtube, and doesn't care that it sounds like doodoo*

*DJ probably plays the song reluctantly, result is the exact same as if they had ripped it*

I don't like doing it, but if I explained to a client that a track isn't commercially available, and that it won't sound good... but they insist that's the version they want... I'm not here to be the police for their event. I'd play it, and then delete that version so I don't accidentally play it again for anyone else.

There certainly are songs on YouTube that don't sound very good, but there are plenty that sound just fine. I'm no audiophile, nor are most clients, so if the song doesn't sound like complete crap, most people will never complain.

There certainly are songs on YouTube that don't sound very good, but there are plenty that sound just fine. I'm no audiophile, nor are most clients, so if the song doesn't sound like complete crap, most people will never complain.

Most youtube converters downgrade even from where the youtube sound itself was. But you're right, clients often don't notice at all.

Holy Cow - quite a conversation!
I try my best to have all of my music from licensed services.
And I do buy from ITunes & Amazon. I found this video informative. Some things I didn't realize.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELipAfvYeU&t=196s

IMHO, I believe Mike is incorrect. I don't know of any "license" in the US that comes along with any music subscription that allows the music to be played by a Dj "commercially". I don't believe such a license exists.
Proper licesning for any music to be played publicly still needs to be obtained....BY THE VENUE. The source of the music is irrelevant in this matter.

If the dj happen to steal the music in the first place... Like illegally downloading off a bit torrent, that's a separate issue. It would be the same as anyone else obtaining licensed material illegally.

none of the music I buy or pay to stream gives me the right to use it commercially, like using it in a video or a marketing campaign.... Or allows the venue to not obtain proper licesning.

I believe he, like many others, are misinterpreting the word "commercial" as it Pertains to Djs in this matter. Because a dj is being payed to play the music, they are assuming this falls under commercial use. However, I don't think it matters if the dj is getting paid, or is a volunteer. If it's a public event, the VENUE needs to obtain the rights for those songs to be played. The venue needs to obtain the rights even if there's no dj and they are playing music themselves.

Reactions: ittigger