How is 2017 looking for you?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Albatross

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Sep 7, 2016
About a year ago, I started a new company and brand from a cold start. I was working on it through November and officially launched in December. But I think I entered 2016 with a single gig booked, maybe two. I'll end the year with 15 weddings, including a New Years Eve. When I started, I hoped to do at least 8-10, so to be ahead of that by 50% has felt like a major accomplishment.

I'm looking forward to 2017 at this point, and trying to set some goals. I've currently got 9 weddings on my books next year, with a goal of 20, and a cap at about 25 depending on how they are spaced out.

Just wanted to get a sense of how 2017 is looking for everyone else. Are you where you typically are at this time of year? And what types of goals are you setting for yourself as we head into year end?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
2017 is not looking so good for me... just one booking for Halloween. Same gig I've done the last two years. I gotta say, I'm not really trying as hard I could. I took the whole summer off, 'cause I needed a little break.[emoji1]

After I retired two years ago, I took no time before jumping into my DJ business. It was exciting and fun, but maybe it would have been smarter to give myself a little time. On the other hand, maybe jumping into something new was the right thing to do after retiring. Regardless, I had a great LAZY summer. Winter is slow anyway, but I do have a Christmas party to do. I have absolutely nothing booked for 2017 except the Halloween gig.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Albatross
I am focusing on attracting December Holiday party clients at the moment. I am currently making a last ditch effort to book open December dates, and hopefully beat out 2015 numbers in the end. I think I need to book about $2,000 in gigs to match 2015 so I'm close. All my holiday party clients from last year are not booking this year. My contacts all quit at the companies/organizations I worked with last year, and one company has not responded to me at all and cant confirm whether the people work there or not still...Oh well.

For 2017, I guess I can say it's looking a tad better than 2016 did this time last year...I mean, I have 2 weddings in January booked...to have 2 in January is GOOD..and I potentially have a 3rd one that might book...that is a big plus. Got my bro booked on a Mitzvah on April...Just had a call today about a Mitzvah in March. I have 1 wedding in June, 1 in July, 1 in August, and 1 in October so far. ...Not a bad start. May is WIDE OPEN at the moment...but I expect May to book up in January/February like it usually does.

I usually go into the next year with only 2 or 3 booked, and book a lot of dates January through April. It's hard to gauge how the year will be until after the holidays have settled, and the Super bowl is over and done with. If email inquiries are real slow, and the phone is quiet all through January, and well into February...at that point I worry.

In the end 2017 could be a tough year. I have read articles stating that marriages will overall be down next year in USA, and a small decline in marriage frequency over the next few years is very likely. Not going to be a very robust market for DJs if some don't decide to retire, and spread the weddings among fewer DJs working the market. ...Of course that is all conjecture, but the trend isn't looking up in terms of volume of weddings expected in the coming years.

Not great at the moment. I have 9 on the books for next year. Most are photo-based with DJ added. Getting traction in photography has been tough. The photographers are miles ahead of us in terms of their marketing smarts. My google placement in DJ is usually around #4 and in photography I'm swinging hard as I can and still at #64.

I will say that I'm a bit more settled this year than past years. I'm coming to realize that November is always dead until after Thanksgiving so, the tendency is to freak out a bit until then. Just sit back, relax, and keep working your marketing chops. It will pay off.

Not great at the moment. I have 9 on the books for next year. Most are photo-based with DJ added. Getting traction in photography has been tough. The photographers are miles ahead of us in terms of their marketing smarts. My google placement in DJ is usually around #4 and in photography I'm swinging hard as I can and still at #64.

I will say that I'm a bit more settled this year than past years. I'm coming to realize that November is always dead until after Thanksgiving so, the tendency is to freak out a bit until then. Just sit back, relax, and keep working your marketing chops. It will pay off.

Photography seems like an even more competitive market than DJing around here too. Bridal shows I've been to are packed with photographers. And some are spending some serious cash on the displays they bring in.

I reached the max gigs I want to do in 2017 it's not many but hey that's why I semi retired, I am sure a few people will twist my arm enough that I will cave and do a couple more

Photography seems like an even more competitive market than DJing around here too. Bridal shows I've been to are packed with photographers. And some are spending some serious cash on the displays they bring in.

DC area is big on Photography. I have met a good number of Photographers that charge $5,500 to $10,000. Many of those same photogprahers also do destination weddings in other countries. They get clients to pay for their airfare, lodging, and they usually make a "vacation trip" out of doing the wedding. They often leave a few days earlier so they can explore the country side and make a nice trip out of doing the wedding. So many brides/grooms don't trust photographers in those countries so they will pay big money for a photog from USA to travel there.

It is interesting. I do Baltimore weddings, and often the photographer is a "College Friend", or a "Work Friend who does photography on the side" or a referral doing the wedding at a low cost, or they were found on Craigslist...These are the majority of Baltimore area photographers I see. ...I go down to DC, and the clients have expensive photographers, and they are usually dropping a lot of money on the photography.

It will cost a lot of money, but running Google Adwords could put you at the top instead of being #64. If photography market is real competitive there, your CPC price to get into the top 4 ads on the top of the page is probably going to be high. ...For a example, in my area, "Wedding Reception DJ" keyword just jumped to $6.31 per click to show on the first page. I am not paying that, so I cancelled the keyword. It also takes A LOT of time looking at search terms and adding negative keywords to minimize the amount of wasted clicks you get to your website. ...I have a negative keyword list VERY LONG at this point.

The Call for a Mitzvah in March came in off of google adwords yesterday. However, it has been only the 2nd call in November I have received, and I am sure I have spent more than $250 on clicks in the last 15 days. ...Real Expensive.

I will also say that I always cut Advertising around this time of the year. December is a DEAD month for booking future events...Everybody is concerned with Christmas/Holiday Season and wedding vendor booking is put on the back burner until after New Years Day.

I usually only book Maybe ONE future wedding in December...some years I book one...Other years I book nothing. So I cancel all advertising for December. I will revisit Advertising after NFL Playoffs are over in January. I usually start it up around January 20th.

In my opinion, best nmonths to advertise are January through May. Maybe do some advertising here and there over the summer to catch the Early Bird brides who are booking their weddings a year out. Advertising in the Fall is always a gamble. I haven't booked anything off of my recent advertising...Only received a few phone calls off of google, and 2 email inquiries that went no where. I have booked a few referrals, and agency events in the past few months, but nothing direct from advertising since the Summer time. IMO advertising between Thanksgiving and new Years Day is probably the biggest waste of money because booking vendors for an upcoming wedding or other event simply isn't on people's minds at that point in time.

There is only so much you can attract from referrals. If you want to grow, and do more events beyond a certain point, then advertising is a must.

It's a toss up...Spend money on online advertising, or spend the money on bridal shows to obtain more gigs? The alternatives are more lucrative in nature, and harder to establish. (Getting in with Venue Managers or Planners who will refer you work...Might need to pay referral fees to establish a good partnership)

Bridal magazine advertising (Expensive)....Sounds cool, and may feel good to have an ad in a fancy bridal magazine, but how many brides/grooms are even reading those magazines these days?

There is only so much you can attract from referrals. If you want to grow, and do more events beyond a certain point, then advertising is a must.
I ran a very very successful business for many years on just referrals, as do many other DJ's I know, its in how you keep in contact with your clients post event, if you do the show and never talk to the again your referral business is going to be horrible

Reactions: ittigger
I'll get most of my bookings come january at bridal shows..soem booking are coming. A bit slow at the moment but then it was super busy last month..so it's easy to get distracted working and not doing the marketing.

But everyone loves a roller coaster, right?

People on here :sqrolleyes: accuse me of bragging so I will just say that bookings look great.

Being proud of success isn't bragging. If you're doing something that is working well for you that you're comfortable sharing, we'd love to know how you're killing it :cheers2:

Reactions: ittigger
For sure Ross... I am very proud of what we do.

I no longer post about any new gear I get, any great jobs we do and I certainly don't post about how many jobs we book.

Don't need other users running to the moderators again, who happen to be a good friend (mods) and who tell me everything!

It will cost a lot of money, but running Google Adwords could put you at the top instead of being #64.

I have a real aversion to adwords at the moment. One thing, and I have no idea why they did this, they bounced my main email address and sent me a message to create a new adwords account under a new email address. I wasn't breaking any rules, to my knowledge, and now they're telling me I have to create a whole new account. Not cool. Add to that, that CPC on adwords is not cheap and it can get expensive really quickly, all while trying to figure out what's effective. I'm still shying away, for now. I'm continuing to try other methods, but may end up ponying up, if nothing else works. I've been spending a fair amount of time in beefing up my blog, but expect it will be another week or two before the indexes have been updated. I'm also noticing on that social media shares is something a lot of SEO site analyzers are giving importance to but not quite certain what actually constitutes a share on the crawlers.

2017 is looking pretty average for me so far. I generally have a few shows that book year to year.
For sure Ross... I am very proud of what we do.

I no longer post about any new gear I get, any great jobs we do and I certainly don't post about how many jobs we book.

Don't need other users running to the moderators again, who happen to be a good friend (mods) and who tell me everything!

Being proud of what you do is certainly important, perhaps the most important.

Ricky, although separated by less than what....3o miles...DC and Baltimore are DJ wise 2 totally separate and different markets clients wise.

But you already knew that.

As close as I am, I've only done maybe... 1 Baltimore wedding? I did one a few years ago at the Royal Sonesta on the harbor. But, I end up in rural Virginia way more often than I get anywhere near B-more.

Reactions: dunlopj
As close as I am, I've only done maybe... 1 Baltimore wedding? I did one a few years ago at the Royal Sonesta on the harbor. But, I end up in rural Virginia way more often than I get anywhere near B-more.

...I just had a inquiry for a wedding out in Middleburg, VA! Now that's a Drive for me! I did a wedding back in 2011 way down in Barboursville, VA at a restaurant next to a couple of wineries. That was a LONG drive...I was fighting to stay awake driving home that night.

Northern Virginia has a healthy wedding market...Lots of rural wedding venues that can fetch good money between 20 and 60 miles away from D.C. Plenty of Country Clubs out there. I was just in Tysons Corner last weekend for a wedding. Drove out to Haymarket a couple times this year.

NOVA and DC together make up just over 50% of my gigs every year. I live up here, but drive down that way slightly more often than I am driving locally or to the Eastern Shore/Bay area.

Reactions: dunlopj