How many of you will be pre-ordering the IPhone 10?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I just saw on the news the IPhone 10 is coming out soon and you can pre-order it. The starting price is $999.00. Buy one get one free. That to me tells me that phone isn't worth that price. So how many will take the plunge? I'm sticking with what I have. It does what I need it to do and certainly cost nowhere near 1k. My phone is paid off. LOL.

I just saw on the news the IPhone 10 is coming out soon and you can pre-order it. The starting price is $999.00. Buy one get one free. That to me tells me that phone isn't worth that price. So how many will take the plunge? I'm sticking with what I have. It does what I need it to do and certainly cost nowhere near 1k. My phone is paid off. LOL.
Def getting it... downside is 64gb may not be enough. So i may have to go for the next one up. Photos and video are a big part of my online branding so camera quality and such makes a big deal to me as well as larger screen.

I utilize the upgrade plan through Apple so it's paid in monthly interest free installments and I actually only pay for half of it since I can change phones every year when the new one comes out so I'm always up to date.

Reactions: Dan The Man
I might get it when my upgrade is due next May. My S8+ has persistent issues with Bluetooth that Samsung knows about but cannot be bothered to fix. Bluetooth is nearly 20 years old. How can 20 year old tech have showstopping bugs on a ~$800 flagship phone?

My iPhone 6S never had problems with basic functionality. I'm generally not a fan of walled gardens but you cannot argue with Apple's track record. When they do mess up (namely prematurely releasing hardware) generally they react quickly to fix stuff. By May the 10 will of had 7-8 months in the wild and the kinks will be ironed out.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
I think I might go for the 8 (or 8+) instead. I have a 6, so any of these is light years ahead .. but truthfully, the 6 is fine (though I would like a better camera). I think the 8+ might be the ticket.

Yea, the X screen is a smidge better than the 8+ and a little smaller (X in the middle flanked by 8 on left and 8+ on right) ...

upload_2017-9-14_18-12-36.jpeg

We'll see what pricing looks like on the plans after the intro.

Zack Morris Phone.jpg

...Seriously, these phones are getting so big, I am becoming deterred from wanting one. ...I like my Galaxy S6 for the time being...and it is large. enough! ...I actually really liked the size of the S3 or S4! If Samsung came out with a S9 and gave you the option to have a smaller one like the S4 size, I would be the customer for that!

Reactions: Dan The Man
View attachment 32900

...Seriously, these phones are getting so big, I am becoming deterred from wanting one. ...I like my Galaxy S6 for the time being...and it is large. enough! ...I actually really liked the size of the S3 or S4! If Samsung came out with a S9 and gave you the option to have a smaller one like the S4 size, I would be the customer for that!
I loved the size of the iPhone 4 (as a phone only), however, as the phone gets more time as an internet portal .. it does help these older eyes see things with a larger screen. I agree there are tradeoffs (like they don't fit in the pants pocket as easily), but we shall see.

Personally I can't see me spending that kind of money for a cellphone. For me it's not that serious. If I want to take pictures and videos I got a camera that does that. Even paying for it over time I can't justify spending that much.

To each it's own. I just wonder when will it end? I guess when the price goes to 2k.

I can do the things I need to do with the phone I have. I say when this photo stops working is when I will get another one. I say it's the latest thing some people think they must have because it's the latest new gadget.

For me the Temptations said it best. Don't let the Jones get you down.

Personally I can't see me spending that kind of money for a cellphone. For me it's not that serious. If I want to take pictures and videos I got a camera that does that. Even paying for it over time I can't justify spending that much.

To each it's own. I just wonder when will it end? I guess when the price goes to 2k.

I can do the things I need to do with the phone I have. I say when this photo stops working is when I will get another one. I say it's the latest thing some people think they must have because it's the latest new gadget.

For me the Temptations said it best. Don't let the Jones get you down.
My first cellphone cost about $1200 and the service was over $100/mo.. and that was in the later 80s. Extrapolated, that would be about $4,000 now, so even at $1000, it's a relative bargain. :)

BTW, the cellphone in Ricky's picture above cost $3,995 when introduced (in 1983) ... The first mobile phone call was placed 40 years ago today

Headline says "The first mobile phone call was placed 40 years ago today"... FAKE NEWS!!![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To its credit, it does say ..
But there were cell phones. Well, one anyway.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I don't think a $1000 is over the top per say. Most of these phones have the capability to largely replace your desktop/laptop when you think of it in that context it makes more sense. With iOS 11 it looks like Apple is going that way at least on the iPad. My spidey sense tells me that eventually iOS and MacOS are going merge.

My guess is maybe a generation or three from now they'll have an interface (I'd guess via Apple TV) to do web browsing, email, word processing, etc on a large screen with a magic keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The pieces are already there. I'm surprised they haven't put a cohesive solution together yet.

My phone has the DEX station available which is a dock that essentially turns your phone into a computer. It's not the first of it's kind but looks pretty polished. Your phone today can handle the most demanding tasks pretty well. Earlier I was playing around creating a slideshow from photos and was impressed by how quickly the phone rendered 1080p.

Since most of my work is done server side all I really need is an ssh client and web browser. I'm good to go. It won't be perfect but seeing as I'm down to 1 computer (and it's getting long in the tooth) ~$150 for a dock that gives me a viable backup for the time being. Where do I sign up?

Check this out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KsqpvWfPc

I wish I had a picture of my first cellphone. It was a pre-paid phone that was about the size of the phone on Get Smart. Eventually I went with a monthly service. I learned a great lesson. Don't go with the cheapest plan. Get the unlimited plan where you don't have to worry about going over your minutes. I used to have Sprint. When I went over my minutes it cost 40 cents for each minute. I used to wonder why Bill was so high.

It's funny how things change. I remember you had to use a pay phone when you were outside. You hardly see them any more. Remember when a cellphone was used for only making and receiving calls. My how things have changed.

For those who take the plunge let us know what you think.