How many of you will be pre-ordering the IPhone 10?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I was serious...Steve, how and when do you use I Pads for an event?

Not sure how Steve uses his, but I'll tell you how I would use mine... Now, granted, I have not had occasion to do this because I don't typically have events where I need to play music for cocktails or dinner in a different room than the room I set up in for dancing, but if I did, I would consider using my iPad with a pre-recorded mix playing via Bluetooth to my Alto TS112W (Bluetooth) speakers. Easy setup, and reasonably good sound for background music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I wonder if anyone here uses a tablet as their main source of music and software.

I know there used to be a controller made to hold an I Pad...

I wonder if anyone here uses a tablet as their main source of music and software.

I have tried Pyro on my iPad... not too impressed. I can't see myself ever using an iPad with a controller. That's just me... I have no problem if it works for other DJ's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know many folks with the current iPhone..and my S8 is way better in many many ways. So is it "all" I need? yep.
If the S8 is working for you, it makes logical sense to stay with it.
I've not had great success with Samsung products. I've had great success with apple products.

I also find apps get much more love (updates) on iOS than Android simply because developers make more money and have much fewer versions to update. These are apps I rely on daily.

Apple is not perfect. Many things I don't like about them. When I did some work with Verizon, apple was the worst to work with when getting the iPhone into the Verizon system.

However, when I compared exact same apps on same network, it wasn't close. iOS was better. I'm sure Android has improved over the years but so has iOS.

There is a reason that there are many more Android phones sold but apple makes the lion's share of the profits. They've created loyal customers who don't mind paying a premium for a great product. Lower price products rarely keep loyal customers.

Do we"need" all of these thing? No. But I use my phone a lot every day. I use my iPad a lot too. Spending a few hundred dollars more every few years makes sense to me. But it really doesn't even cost that much more, because the resale of a few year old iPhone is considerably higher then a few year old Samsung. Same with tablets.

For example, my iPad air 2 sold for $485. Same year Samsung Galaxy tab sold for $210.

I'm guessing the iPhone x will be worth a lot more than the S8 in a few years.

While I do wish iPhones would have sd slots, apple maintains that sd cards and slots have been an issue and can cause problems, I don't have that big of an issue with paying more for extra storage. That might be Steve Jobs BS, but it sounds reasonable that cheap sd cards can cause issues. At least I know if there is an issue, apple can't blame it on someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard

I don't use it as a main, but I use it as back up. Used it at ceremony Saturday and cocktail hour

Mostly use djay pro and Spotify. No controller. I do use a split cable so I can use headphones too

Last edited:
I don't think a $1000 is over the top per say.

Until you drop it, and it breaks just as easily as my $100 G4 plus.
Just as with anything that uses technology...
it's always better to wait to see if they worked all the bugs out of a new release...
then buy it after the price has dropped.
Personally, I just don't see the need to always have the latest.
(sure, you offer some good arguments...but you just cannot convince me that it's worth it)

I have Traktor and apps like DJay that I use. I've also used the built in 'Music' - iTunes on the iDevice when I need to. Traktor and DJay allow me to mix if I want to.

I was serious...Steve, how and when do you use I Pads for an event?
I manage my music in iTunes. I make my playlists there as well. PCDJ, Serato, Traktor (I have all 3) all read the iTunes database AND playlists.

On my iPad, I sync any music I HAVE to have for an event, any applicable playlist, along with enough other stuff that I could get by if I had a complete laptop failure. I usually have my spare laptop in the truck, but the iPad is running hot for most events (unless it IS the music source for a stray speaker) and comes in on another mixer channel. I can jump to it at any point.

I manage my music in iTunes. I make my playlists there as well. PCDJ, Serato, Traktor (I have all 3) all read the iTunes database AND playlists.

On my iPad, I sync any music I HAVE to have for an event, any applicable playlist, along with enough other stuff that I could get by if I had a complete laptop failure. I usually have my spare laptop in the truck, but the iPad is running hot for most events (unless it IS the music source for a stray speaker) and comes in on another mixer channel. I can jump to it at any point.

+1 - same here.

Reactions: steve149
Until you drop it, and it breaks just as easily as my $100 G4 plus.
Just as with anything that uses technology...
it's always better to wait to see if they worked all the bugs out of a new release...
then buy it after the price has dropped.
Personally, I just don't see the need to always have the latest.
(sure, you offer some good arguments...but you just cannot convince me that it's worth it)

I agree that no one can convince you that's it's worth it, because to you, it's not.

For many, it obviously is. But not everyone.

Just like Djs. For some, paying$1000-$3000 for a dj is completely absurd. While for others, they have the means AND is worth it to them. Some will find a $300 dj and that dj might very well be fine for what they were looking for and what they were willing to pay.

Big difference is you can see, touch and play with the phone BEFORE you buy it.

Renting a DJ? We sell the invisible...read the book. It's great.

Big difference is you can see, touch and play with the phone BEFORE you buy it.

Renting a DJ? We sell the invisible...read the book. It's great.
BUt we don't sell the invisible to those that have seen us. And those are the potential clients that we have to try our absolute hardest to impress.

BUt we don't sell the invisible to those that have seen us. And those are the potential clients that we have to try our absolute hardest to impress.
I agree. I have a job to do this Saturday and have been talking a beating for the setup I'm using. I'm giving the committee something that they aren't used to getting to impress them enough that they either will call me again and to pass the word along when another committee is looking for a DJ who they should use.

Reactions: scgstuff
I agree. I have a job to do this Saturday and have been talking a beating for the setup I'm using. I'm giving the committee something that they aren't used to getting to impress them enough that they either will call me again and to pass the word along when another committee is looking for a DJ who they should use.
The issue in your case is you're providing equipment that could potentially be a negative to the outcome of the event.

The issue in your case is you're providing equipment that could potentially be a negative to the outcome of the event.
Again it's about knowing what to do with what you're using. There are those who would take a job like this and not have the right tools to use. They would agree to do the job just because there is money on the table. Then come with a setup that is inferior to get the job done right. Then to make up for what they are lacking by pushing the setup beyond it's limitations making things sound like crap.

I love how you argue with people who are 1000 times more successful than you. If you really knew what you were doing or that good at what you did you wouldn't be scrapping the bottom of the barrel with the jobs you get.

But we don't sell the invisible to those that have seen us.

Taso, in your case, with your huge and always updated social media presence, that's very true.

And I guess these days, all DJ's have that potential presence.

But I'm guessing most DJ's (with apologies to anyone here who does) do not go for the constant strive and push in their social media presence as you do.

Admit it, at least around these boards, you are a man among....lesser men? :cheers:

Taso, in your case, with your huge and always updated social media presence, that's very true.

And I guess these days, all DJ's have that potential presence.

But I'm guessing most DJ's (with apologies to anyone here who does) do not go for the constant strive and push in their social media presence as you do.

Admit it, at least around these boards, you are a man among....lesser men? :cheers:
While I appreciate the compliment... I was actually simply referring to the guests at our events. Their our best source of potential clients or people who can act as brand ambassadors and spread our name to other potential clients. If you're not impressing them, then social media and sites are useless if they're not interested in wanting to know more about you. Those guests are seeing something in person, tangible, and are experiencing your service... therefore for them it's not "invisible". We all have guests at our events, so everyone has an equal opportunity just like I do to reach out to people.