I could have stayed home last night!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I went to this party last night. It cost $30 to get into the party. My best friend paid for my ticket. He said I didn't have to pay him back because of all the things I've done for him over the years which is a bunch of events for free. It didn't cost him a thing for me to be the DJ.

I've been a DJ for 29 years and I wish my BF had saved the money. The DJ was the worst DJ I ever heard. They wanted to get another DJ but he was booked. It was real ugly. His setup consisted of the Numark Mix Deck which my ex-partner still has. Great CD/controller. He was using a laptop and one QSC speaker. That's right only one speaker!

The party was to be from 8pm-1am and by 12:30 everybody was leaving. Well most of the people were gone by that time. The room is small but that was the first time I ever saw a DJ using only one speaker. I took a picture of the setup and it was a mess. It sounded good but at one point something went wrong and it shut down. He got it back up in 2 minutes. That's not the bad part because such things can happen to any of us.

The problem is a lot of people there were an older crowd and he should have played stuff in the beginning to get them up dancing having a good time. Then you can get into some other stuff. My personal experience has been people in their late 50's on up normally don't stay till the end of a party unless the DJ is off the hook and people just don't want to leave because the DJ is just that damn good.

This guy kept cutting songs short all night long. He would play a song that would finally get the crowd up dancing and would not let the whole song play cutting songs short all night. He didn't use any headphones. So I figured out all he did when it was the right time to do so was use the sync button. I'm thinking he finally was doing some good mixing and it was the sync button the whole time. Sorry for this thread but it was just that bad. There was me and another DJ I know was there. Either one of us would have done a hell of a much better job then he did. First we would have had at least 2 speakers at the event.

I wish I could battle this DJ for his gear vs mine because he had some hot stuff that I certainly would be proud to own. I wouldn't even worry about losing to this guy. It would be like taking candy from a baby.

So basically what kept happening was he kept people up and down all night. He would get a small crowd to dance and then do something to piss them off so they would sit back down. After a while people got so pissed off they wouldn't get up to dance because they knew he was going to do something fucked up in a short while.

A couple brief comments...

1. So... you DJ'd "a bunch" of events basically in exchange for a $30 ticket. Better than free!
2. The acronym BF typically stands for boyfriend - might cause folks some confusion
3. You're basically just hating on the DJ, like you often do at these parties you go to

The problem with talking about the DJ battle is... he already won. The DJ battle is called, "Who did these people hire and pay their hard earned money to entertain their party?" That is the battle that matters, and you didn't win that one. If you are truly better than all these other guys that you see, why are they always working, and you're driving the van?

In 1968 I was in Basic Training in Fort Jackson, S.C.. They beat the crap out of us because we were all going to Vietnam. However, we had one poor soul they singled out to seriously catch all the flac - just like the beginning of "Full Metal Jacket". Fortunately, he never wasted the DI.

With that as I background, I have to ask - is MIXMASTERMACHOM a real person, or the figment of someone's imagination, goofing on all of us with a lot of tongue in cheek posts? I mean like WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT the F__K!

Having said that, let me be the first to apologize to MIXMASTERMACHOM just in case he is a real person.

Last edited:
A couple brief comments...

1. So... you DJ'd "a bunch" of events basically in exchange for a $30 ticket. Better than free!
2. The acronym BF typically stands for boyfriend - might cause folks some confusion
3. You're basically just hating on the DJ, like you often do at these parties you go to

The problem with talking about the DJ battle is... he already won. The DJ battle is called, "Who did these people hire and pay their hard earned money to entertain their party?" That is the battle that matters, and you didn't win that one. If you are truly better than all these other guys that you see, why are they always working, and you're driving the van?
I give credit where credit is due. When someone is good I give them credit and will post it here. My issue with this is I felt bad for the people spending $30 to come to this party and this is the DJ they got. They got ripped off. That's how bad this DJ was.

I was told he was picked because he was a family member of the people having the party. The party was to raise money for this social club that they were getting started. Let me give you a couple of examples of what he did that was totally messed up. He plays the song by Strife Set It Off and the crowd got up on the dance floor. They were feeling the song and he only played a small portion of the song before he decided to play something else. Killing the mood once again. Especially with a song that didn't fit at all. He kept doing this. I went to the bathroom and he was playing the Cha Cha Slide. He even cut that short. Just plain crazy. The crowd is doing their thing and he cut that short mixing in another song. Or should I say not mixing in another song but syncing in another song. That didn't fit either. I don't know what happened but I wish I could post a picture of his setup and you would see what I mean. I don't know what happened to the upload feature here but I saw it and then it went away. I pushed more options and it came up. As soon as it came up it went away.

Reactions: jaswrx
I was told he was picked because he was a family member of the people having the party. The party was to raise money for this social club that they were getting started.

Is there anyone that gets paid to DJ in New Jersey?

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Here are 2 pictures of his setup. I can't tell if the hand truck on his right side, left side in the picture. What was that doing there first of all. I would have either put that back in the van till the end of the party or out of sight so nobody knows I was using it. What happened to the speaker being on a stand instead of sitting on the table. He's using a QSC speaker and he can't afford a speaker stand?

Attachments

• IMG_5884.JPG
    IMG_5884.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5884.JPG
    IMG_5884.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 34
Here are 2 pictures of his setup. I can't tell if the hand truck on his right side, left side in the picture. What was that doing there first of all. I would have either put that back in the van till the end of the party or out of sight so nobody knows I was using it. What happened to the speaker being on a stand instead of sitting on the table. He's using a QSC speaker and he can't afford a speaker stand?
Sorry for the same picture. I thought they both were different but you get the point.

Mix, looks like the proper setup for the room? How do you know he hasn't a speaker stand?

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Mix, looks like the proper setup for the room? How do you know he hasn't a speaker stand?
You can't be serious! Proper setup for that room. Since when have you seen a DJ doing an event use only one speaker? I never have. He may have a speaker stand but where is it if he has one? You don't see it anywhere do you. If he has one why didn't he use it? Proper setup. Is that what you call having only one speaker and it sitting on a table instead of on a stand? Did you notice the wires were showing?

You can't be serious! Proper setup for that room. Since when have you seen a DJ doing an event use only one speaker? I never have. He may have a speaker stand but where is it if he has one? You don't see it anywhere do you. If he has one why didn't he use it? Proper setup. Is that what you call having only one speaker and it sitting on a table instead of on a stand? Did you notice the wires were showing?
Many people will use a single Bose L1 for under 100 people most of the time. And I noticed the wires showing, though not as much as the past few shots of your systems.

Yes, the speaker should have probably been on a stand, one to minimize the inevitable vibrations and also to get the tweeter above people's heads, but I've seen others with large dual 15 towers pput them on the floor and this is better.

I would have used a stand and one ten inch speaker but the qsc is high enough .

I plan on putting in my bid to do the next party they have and hopefully I will get it. Let me stop and talk about what I will do if I get to do the party. Since I know a lot of the people who were there and I like the crowd. I would use my lighted facade for the party. I rarely use it because the price a client wants to pay isn't worth me using it. The panels are heavy and awkward. They could get away with it because I like the crowd and to take pictures with it to show off to potential clients in the future.

As for speakers I would use my 2 Yamaha S215 speakers along with my QSC amp. No it wouldn't be over kill because I wouldn't kill them with the volume. Then comes my Denon 6000, laptop, Pioneer EFX 500, portable HD with my music and the dual cordless mics. No Steve the speakers wouldn't be way up high as there is no stage in this place and no need to bring subs to place them on. I would be happy for suggestions to get those speakers off the floor when there is no stage.

As for the music itself I would start off with music that the older people attending the party want to hear and will get them up dancing. Like James Brown, Freddie Jackson's Jam Tonight. Possibly Joe Turner's Flip Flop And Fly. Stuff like that to get the older folks up dancing having a good time. Later on I would go to the more modern dance stuff including some of the club classics from back in the day to mix things up. It would be me mixing and not using the sync button on VDJ. I also would use the light stand with some lights so it isn't completely dark with the house lights turned down.

I plan on putting in my bid to do the next party they have and hopefully I will get it. Let me stop and talk about what I will do if I get to do the party. Since I know a lot of the people who were there and I like the crowd. I would use my lighted facade for the party. I rarely use it because the price a client wants to pay isn't worth me using it. The panels are heavy and awkward. They could get away with it because I like the crowd and to take pictures with it to show off to potential clients in the future.

As for speakers I would use my 2 Yamaha S215 speakers along with my QSC amp. No it wouldn't be over kill because I wouldn't kill them with the volume. Then comes my Denon 6000, laptop, Pioneer EFX 500, portable HD with my music and the dual cordless mics. No Steve the speakers wouldn't be way up high as there is no stage in this place and no need to bring subs to place them on. I would be happy for suggestions to get those speakers off the floor when there is no stage.

As for the music itself I would start off with music that the older people attending the party want to hear and will get them up dancing. Like James Brown, Freddie Jackson's Jam Tonight. Possibly Joe Turner's Flip Flop And Fly. Stuff like that to get the older folks up dancing having a good time. Later on I would go to the more modern dance stuff including some of the club classics from back in the day to mix things up. It would be me mixing and not using the sync button on VDJ. I also would use the light stand with some lights so it isn't completely dark with the house lights turned down.
Yamaha S215s are NOT the right speakers for this gig .. your DSR15s would be more appropriate (no sub) on stands. If you place the S215s on the floor, they will have their tweeters LOWER than what you showed the QSC on the table, and that's not good. IMO, dual 15s should ONLY be used outdoors for live music.

I went to this party last night. It cost $30 to get into the party. My best friend paid for my ticket. He said I didn't have to pay him back because of all the things I've done for him over the years which is a bunch of events for free. It didn't cost him a thing for me to be the DJ.

I've been a DJ for 29 years and I wish my BF had saved the money. The DJ was the worst DJ I ever heard. They wanted to get another DJ but he was booked. It was real ugly. His setup consisted of the Numark Mix Deck which my ex-partner still has. Great CD/controller. He was using a laptop and one QSC speaker. That's right only one speaker!

The party was to be from 8pm-1am and by 12:30 everybody was leaving. Well most of the people were gone by that time. The room is small but that was the first time I ever saw a DJ using only one speaker. I took a picture of the setup and it was a mess. It sounded good but at one point something went wrong and it shut down. He got it back up in 2 minutes. That's not the bad part because such things can happen to any of us.

The problem is a lot of people there were an older crowd and he should have played stuff in the beginning to get them up dancing having a good time. Then you can get into some other stuff. My personal experience has been people in their late 50's on up normally don't stay till the end of a party unless the DJ is off the hook and people just don't want to leave because the DJ is just that damn good.

This guy kept cutting songs short all night long. He would play a song that would finally get the crowd up dancing and would not let the whole song play cutting songs short all night. He didn't use any headphones. So I figured out all he did when it was the right time to do so was use the sync button. I'm thinking he finally was doing some good mixing and it was the sync button the whole time. Sorry for this thread but it was just that bad. There was me and another DJ I know was there. Either one of us would have done a hell of a much better job then he did. First we would have had at least 2 speakers at the event.

I wish I could battle this DJ for his gear vs mine because he had some hot stuff that I certainly would be proud to own. I wouldn't even worry about losing to this guy. It would be like taking candy from a baby.

So basically what kept happening was he kept people up and down all night. He would get a small crowd to dance and then do something to piss them off so they would sit back down. After a while people got so pissed off they wouldn't get up to dance because they knew he was going to do something fucked up in a short while.

So how many business and postcards did you hand out while there? Did you tell them how you and your boys would have setup with 16 speakers, and shocked the house with classics all night for $150???????????? The event would have been Through the roof if mixmastermachoman was the headliner.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that you have posted pictures in the past of your speakers sitiing on the table. Pot meet kettle.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
So how many business and postcards did you hand out while there? Did you tell them how you and your boys would have setup with 16 speakers, and shocked the house with classics all night for $150???????????? The event would have been Through the roof if mixmastermachoman was the headliner.
I get that you're making fun of me and I can't help but laugh. I said what I would do. It would be 2 speakers instead of one. I would have played stuff in the beginning that would have gotten the older people there out on the dance floor. Reason is to make them happy first and once the other people there saw them having a good time, they would join in so as to not have the older people show them up. Later on I would play more newer stuff so the younger ones wouldn't get bored. When I say younger I mean people in their 30's and 40's because there was hardly anybody there in their 20's.

I made a mistake in not properly explaining what this DJ was doing to piss people off. I rode with my best friend and his wife. We got there after 8:30. It was at least 45 minuets when we got there before anyone got up to dance. When he did get a few people up to dance he would only play a little bit of a song and either just slam in another song that a lot of times didn't go with the song that was playing or play a little bit of a song before hitting the sync button bringing in another song. Bottom line he wouldn't let people enjoy one song while they are dancing before replacing it with another. So no study flow at all and he did this well over 15 times. Just kept breaking the mood and having people rush back to their seats. They got tired of him keep doing that and they wouldn't get up to dance because they knew he was going to do the same thing again and again and again! He had some nice songs to play. There were just certain songs he played he should have played at the beginning and not at the end when the people are gone. For example he played some James Brown when the party was almost over and then he wouldn't play the whole song. He played The Payback and cut that song really short.

Get what I'm saying? He would get say 20 people out on the dance floor and do something really crazy having everybody sit back down instead of doing something to keep them on the dance floor for a good while.

Last edited: