School & Teen Events I did a high school dance...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

djmagicmoments

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 16, 2016
Yep, I did a school dance this past weekend after I swore I would never do one again.

It was at Beaver High School and the kids were amazing! In fact, at the end of the night, they gave me an applause... May start doing select school again. It was fun and the kids really appreciated a dj who could actually beat mix and had some intelligent lighting that was all coordinated.

What have I gotten myself into? haha

You once told me you'd never leave the house for less than $1000.

I've done 10+ school dances in the past few years and have a prom this year - they don't budget that, or half that.

If you get $1800+ for 5 hours of a wedding, that's over $300/hour. I've not found any school willing to pay much more than that 'hour' for a typical dance for the whole 3 hours.

If you're getting more let me know and I'll raise my prices.

Reactions: redhotdj

I've done 10+ school dances in the past few years and have a prom this year - they don't budget that, or half that.

If you get $1800+ for 5 hours of a wedding, that's over $300/hour. I've not found any school willing to pay much more than that 'hour' for a typical dance for the whole 3 hours.

It takes a gig or two, but I noticed that if you put on a great show (lighting that is programmed not just sound active, awesome sound quality and volume, and playing what they like) the school will see the value of your services since the school can make money off the dances. At that point you can raise your prices. That is what I have done and it seems to work for me. The bigger the school, the easier it is to charge more since naturally you will need more gear, and the school expects more students to attend the dance, hence a higher budget for everything in general. Don't know if my logic is flawed but just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My proms go for $1850, on average. School dances generally fetch $300-$500. It's been a while since I did one of those.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
Yep, I did a school dance this past weekend after I swore I would never do one again.

It was at Beaver High School and the kids were amazing! In fact, at the end of the night, they gave me an applause... May start doing select school again. It was fun and the kids really appreciated a dj who could actually beat mix and had some intelligent lighting that was all coordinated.

What have I gotten myself into? haha
Do you have a picture of this setup?

Nice price for a prom. I booked one for a small school..we have several small schools..attendance is expected to be 60 kids..would love $1800 for that but I don't think it would fly. LOL
School dance are about what you're getting.

My proms go for $1850, on average. School dances generally fetch $300-$500. It's been a while since I did one of those.