I just bought me a new powered sub yesterday!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
Hello everyone i just bought me a new Yamaha DSR 118 sub yesterday from Guitar Center. I got it for $699.00 plus tax. This sub kicks butt and it matches with the 2 tops i bought. The Yamaha DSR 115's. It's not too light just like those tops but boy does it pack a punch. I haven't had a chance to take it through it's paces yet as it's in the basement and i can't crank the volume up because it's just too much for the house..

I just can't wait to put it to the test at a gig. Probably by this weekend i'll be picking up another one. I'll post a picture or 2 later today maybe. Once i get the other one i'll use 2 poles that fir into the sub and have them that way. No need for any skirts or stuff like that. I'm just too excited. I beleive lately i've made some good choices on the gear i've bought.

I really want to take some pictures of the complete setup with the 2 tops on their poles inside the 2 subs. So they can get put on the website.

Well Mix, business must be good cause your spending money like a drunken sailor.
I just decided to make some major changes. I sold some gear I didn't really have any use for. The 2 earthquakes and the Pioneer CDJ 800's. I still have the Yamaha S215's and QSC 2450 amp. Just really wante to make my setup more easier to setup and faster.

Just basically down sizeing. As I'm older now and just found out I have a pinched nerve in my back. So I got to what I got to. Also unless it's a school dance, there are not to many private events where the guest list is over 250. Plus I really don't have the patience any more to deal with a bunch of screaming teenagers requesting that they hear the next tack head song.

I Just bought another powered sub and I got to pickup my partner after work tomorrow so he can help me with it. I also picked up a pair of poles to set in the subs to mount the tops. Also picked up a DBX crossover too. I spent this week about 2k on the latest stuff. I got to put the stuff away that I could handle on my own. I must be careful not to aggravate the pinch nerve in my back.

Trust me if you never had one it hurts like hell! I hope therapy helps. I got to go back on Monday. I'm too excited right now with everything I bought! I just can't wait to do a gig where I can see what I'm working with. Boy God is good!

Looks great Mix ... One note, with that setup, I would opt for an electronic crossover (you didn't say which dbx you got) instead of an analog one if you have the option of changing it. The reason is in addition to being able to play with crossover filter types, you can also control the delay to the subs, which, depending on placement, may help in controlling low end issues.

Sorry, but I'd rather have a $150 clear sounding analog crossover and use placement to correct the time delay unless you have a grand to spend on a Driverack 260 or equivalent. Lesser digital crossovers (Driverack PX & PA) are not acoustically transparent and add digital artifacts, at least they do to my ears.

Sorry, but I'd rather have a $150 clear sounding analog crossover and use placement to correct the time delay unless you have a grand to spend on a Driverack 260 or equivalent. Lesser digital crossovers (Driverack PX & PA) are not acoustically transparent and add digital artifacts, at least they do to my ears.
While the 260 is far more versatile (especially for live work), they use the same processing, so unless something is amiss, they should sound the same.

The crossover is a DBX 223sx. I hope that's good enough for my setup.
It's certainly a good box. You can correct for other things and have more control (like limiters) than the basic crossover.

I have not owned them to open them up, but listening to them on a friend's system and at various shops tells me that they are configured differently. The PX & PA sound almost like first generation CD players while the 260 sounds similar to analog to me. Connect up a headphone amp and listen to them side by side with them configured at the same settings and see what you think. Actually, you probably don't want to do that if you own one now or you may have to upgrade.......... :oops:

I see PA's on craig's list once in a while for $200 and twitch thinking about picking one up just to play with, but I'm holding out for a 260. The killer for me is I need 2 because I run aux fed subs for my live gigs.

Could be a number of reasons for sound difference, but they use the same 48KHz DSP (The 4800 is a 96KHz processor). I have the PA and don't hear any difference when bypassing it. I don't use it as a crossover at this point (my Yorkvilles have their own), but might going forward with the new tops to be ordered. But I do use the limiter and feedback reducer.

Ok I have a question. Do the Yamaha DSR 118 subs have a built in crossover?
There is no crossover per se, and it's not mentioned on the website, but the data sheet indicates a frequency "range" to 130Hz, so I assume there is a low pass filter set at that point. The frequency response is shown to 110Hz, which is probably ok for 12" tops, but should probably be closer to 90Hz for 15" tops (I don't recall which you have). The DSR tops have a high pass filter (low cut) switch selectable at 120Hz. With the dbx crossover, I would not engage the HPF switch on the tops and set the crossover to cross at 90 HZ (assuming the DSR115).

There is no crossover per se, and it's not mentioned on the website, but the data sheet indicates a frequency "range" to 130Hz, so I assume there is a low pass filter set at that point. The frequency response is shown to 110Hz, which is probably ok for 12" tops, but should probably be closer to 90Hz for 15" tops (I don't recall which you have). The DSR tops have a high pass filter (low cut) switch selectable at 120Hz. With the dbx crossover, I would not engage the HPF switch on the tops and set the crossover to cross at 90 HZ (assuming the DSR115).
The tops are the DSR 115 and thanks for the input.

Here are some pictures of the 2 subs i just bought. I know the pictures aren't that great but i wasn't going to move them in the basement to get better lighting for them.

Attachments

• subs 001.JPG
    subs 001.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 14
  • subs 002.JPG
    subs 002.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 13
  • subs 003.JPG
    subs 003.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
  • subs 004.JPG
    subs 004.JPG