I just got a new toy for only $1.07.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I just got a new tablet from AT&T today for only $1.07. It's an AT&T tablet Trek. The catch is you have to agree to a 2 year data plan . I know it's not the best but it's good enough for my needs. I couldn't resist since it only cost that little amount . there is a $45 one time fee . The insurance was $7.99. That covers if it's lost , stolen or broken . I can't wait to get home to see about loading pictures and videos on it .

So it cost $54.06 .. plus probably $25/month for data .. so in 2 years, your $1.07 tablet will run you $654.06. Whereas, you could have gotten an iPad (or an Android tablet) on sale for around $300 and tethered it to your phone and you'd pay only for the data use above and beyond what you're already paying on the phone.

If you picked the 2 year data plan, then your costs were $1.07 for the device and $45 activation fee.

Insurance is monthly - so $7.99 * 24 (deductable starts at $25 and goes to $299) for hardware and $89 for screen repair for a total of $191.76 (you could have bought the device outright for $200). If you ever do drop or break it, insurance sends you a refurbished unit.

AT&T Data Access plans = $30 for 1GB / $40 for 3GB and $60 for 6GB

So you paid $46.07 ($1.07+$45) to take it home and will pay $37.99 monthly for 1GB per month / $47.99 monthly for 3GB per month or $67.99 per month for 6GB per month (not counting taxes and other fees). If you go over your allowance, you'll pay a penalty.

Total costs for data access and insurance (does not count taxes and other fees):

1GB per month = $911.76, 3GB per month = $1151.76, 6GB per month = $1631.76

Last edited:
Review based on price alone (09/2015):

The AT&T HD Trek is $199, or $49.99/mo on a 2-year contract or $10/mo on an installment plan perfect for students. If you’re ready to jump into the Samsung camp, however, there’s an even better deal: Get a Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S6 Active, S6 Edge + or Note 5 and AT&T will throw in the Galaxy Tab 4 free (well, free with a 2-year commitment). That’s hard to beat! (don’t want to switch smartphones? Then the Tab 4.0 will run you $299 without a contract or $15/mo for 20 months). Finally, the latest generation iPad Mini from AT&T runs $26.50/mo for 20 months or $529 with no commitment.

Review from 9/21/2016:

In the end the AT&T Trek 2 HD definitely isn’t a high end tablet. You won’t be wowed by the screen or the performance. This is not built to compete with high end tablets. What you do get is an affordable tablet with decent battery life, LTE, Android Marshmallow, expandable storage, USB-C, and dual front facing speakers. If you are looking for a high end tablet then you’ll definitely want to look elsewhere though.

Review: AT&T Trek 2 - middle of the road budget tablet. The 8-inch Android tablet is the successor to 2015's Trek HD, and has everything you'd expect in a middle-of-the-road budget tablet. Before you sign up, though, compare it to something like the $250 Asus ZenPad Z8.

The Trek 2 HD's full specs are as follows:

8.0-inch HD Display
Stereo speakers with Dolby audio
Android 6.0 Marshmallow Software
5-megapixel rear camera
5-megapixel front camera
Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.5GHz octa-core processor
16GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot for expansion
4,600mAh battery

Last edited:
I just got a new tablet from AT&T today for only $1.07. It's an AT&T tablet Trek. The catch is you have to agree to a 2 year data plan . I know it's not the best but it's good enough for my needs. I couldn't resist since it only cost that little amount . there is a $45 one time fee . The insurance was $7.99. That covers if it's lost , stolen or broken . I can't wait to get home to see about loading pictures and videos on it .

You really do some dumb shit. Your broke as hell complaining about money. Borrowing from your girl, and sister, and then you piss money away. It's really hard to help someone who won't help themselves. Have fun with your new tablet, and I hope you van is very comfortable just in case your mom or girl ever decide to put your ass out on the streets.

Oh hell I forgot, you have a big lawsuit that is going to get you paid.

Just for reference those insurance plans really suck...generally the deductible is higher than the product it's on. I will say if it was just $7.99 it was worth a shot but I think you might find that it's $7.99 a month. I made the mistake of buying insurance on a cellphone my oldest daughter had years ago. The battery swelled a year or so in to it and by that time the phone could have been replaced for $200..they wanted $250 for deductible. I was told at the start there was $0 deductible so I argued and fought with them for about 2 months and got what I wanted but it was a headache

Either way best of luck

So I made a mistake getting this? I guess that's like some of you who made the mistake of voting for the devil? Sorry I just couldn't resist that jab. I have an Ipad in a protective case. I just wanted this one thinking it would be easy to load stuff onto it. I hate that you have to go to Itunes to load stuff on an Ipad. Now I just need to get a protective sleeve for it as well. If it works out well enough I just might sell the Ipad.

Just for reference those insurance plans really suck...generally the deductible is higher than the product it's on. I will say if it was just $7.99 it was worth a shot but I think you might find that it's $7.99 a month. I made the mistake of buying insurance on a cellphone my oldest daughter had years ago. The battery swelled a year or so in to it and by that time the phone could have been replaced for $200..they wanted $250 for deductible. I was told at the start there was $0 deductible so I argued and fought with them for about 2 months and got what I wanted but it was a headache

Either way best of luck

See above - it IS $7.99 a month.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Mix take it back to the store while you still can and get out of the agreement. It's not worth it. You don't need it. Go to Costco and buy a tablet for 150.00.
Nothing is free or that great a deal!!! Pay me now or pay me later!

Both VERIZON and att offer these "free" android tablets and phones. They are basically junk. They will work ok if you don't use a lot of apps or store any pictures or music, but if you load apps or pics on them, they will get slower and slower. They have very little memory and what they do have is slow.

These are huge money makers for the carriers, so sales people push them. They make a ton more money off of these than they make selling an iPad for $300 to $900 or iPhone at whatever prices. For unsuspecting consumers, the lure of getting a "free" tablet or phone is too much to pass up.

My mother in law got talked into one. I had her take it right back, we got her an iPad mini for Christmas , added it to my account for $10 a month. She loves it.

If you want a cheap tablet, get a kindle fire.

Either way best of luck
Yeah, I got tricked into paying $12 or $13/mo for insurance on my new iPhone from Verzion. Tricked is a misnomer I should have read the fine print. It seemed like a good idea if I drop an ~$800 phone in the toilet, I don't want to have to come out of pocket to get it replaced or be stuck paying a contract on a phone I cannot use.

Anyhow the deductible is $200. I pay ~$12/mo for the privilege of paying them another $200 IF and that's big IF (for me anyhow) I somehow break the phone. Over the contract term that's $288 pure profit for them. It sure would sting if I had to come up with the money to buy out the contract so I keep the insurance. $200 is cheaper for the time being.

The more I think about it the more clear it is; I had the right idea buying a phone outright and using it on a prepaid service for < $50/mo. The prepaid services generally don't have add-ons and by their nature cannot ding you for data overages and other shenanigans. I can get on the Verizon network (works best in my area but AT&T is adequate) cheaper through a 3rd party than as a direct customer.

Having the latest and greatest is nice and I'd argue even necessary (at times in my case) for the increased processing power and memory but they sure do give it to you without the Vaseline.

Last edited:
I have an Ipad in a protective case. I just wanted this one thinking it would be easy to load stuff onto it. I hate that you have to go to Itunes to load stuff on an Ipad. Now I just need to get a protective sleeve for it as well.

For $50 you could get a basic Amazon Fire tablet, have the same basic functionality as your AT&T whatever and save about $1610 over two years (when both tablets will be pretty much obsolete anyways).

You know that saying, don't you? A fool and his money...

These things sell online for around $80, so I'm guessing their cost is around $50. So your $1.07 plus $45 "activation " fee covered their cost. your 2 yrs of insurance will pay for 4 more , that's not including the deductible I'm sure they'll charge you.

Did you already have a data plan with them? If you seriously got locked into a 2yr data plan with them simply for this, you MUST return it. You'll never end up fulfilling the agreement, and let it go. It will damage whatever credit you have and you won't be able to get a phone with att anymore. The equipment will never last the 2 yrs you'll be paying for it.

These type of deals have about a 75% contract fail rate. But since it's cash positive in month 1, they lower the credit restrictions on these, making it even more enticing to the poorest of our society, who end up paying more for phone service down the road since they have a now have a record of non payment.

As mentioned, a kindle fire will load videos and pictures, cost you the same cash up front, with no data plan. Use wifi at a local coffee shop or at home. How does a data plan benefit you?

Last edited:
These things sell online for around $80, so I'm guessing their cost is around $50. So your $1.07 plus $45 "activation " fee covered their cost. your 2 yrs of insurance will pay for 4 more , that's not including the deductible I'm sure they'll charge you.

Did you already have a data plan with them? If you seriously got locked into a 2yr data plan with them simply for this, you MUST return it. You'll never end up fulfilling the agreement, and let it go. It will damage whatever credit you have and you won't be able to get a phone with att anymore. The equipment will never last the 2 yrs you'll be paying for it.

These type of deals have about a 75% contract fail rate. But since it's cash positive in month 1, they lower the credit restrictions on these, making it even more enticing to the poorest of our society, who end up paying more for phone service down the road since they have a now have a record of non payment.

As mentioned, a kindle fire will load videos and pictures, cost you the same cash up front, with no data plan. Use wifi at a local coffee shop or at home. How does a data plan benefit you?

From above:

Insurance is monthly - so $7.99 * 24 (deductable starts at $25 and goes to $299) for hardware and $89 for screen repair for a total of $191.76 (you could have bought the device outright for $200). If you ever do drop or break it, insurance sends you a refurbished unit.