I may figured out my frustration with DJing today

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
its the music upbeat high energy popular song in almost any genre are increasingly rare

I was thinking that tonight Tunes. The stuff the kids want these days wouldn't have got a spin 10-20 years ago or more. The most popular stuff these days is almost all un-danceable. We used to call it 3/4 time....to slow for a fast song and too fast for a slow song

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I can't find the study anymore... but I read a study a few years back that examined the relationship between the stock market and the tempo of top 40 music. When the market is poor, we tend to prefer faster music. When the market has been hot, the top 40 music slows down. If you look back to 2009 and see songs like Boom Boom Pow, Poker Face, I Gotta Feeling, Right Round... all in the top 10. And that trend continued for several years while EDM and Top 40 really seemed to intertwine. That has completely shifted in the past year or two. I'm playing sped up versions of many of the hot songs.

I definitely agree, it's tough to find music that is hot right now that is dance floor ready. I think times like this make finding good remixes all that more important. Some groups respond better to straight radio versions, but most of my clients can deal with some level of added energy to the tunes I play.

I agree...2016 was pretty bad with Quality New Music coming out. I think it was the worst year I can remember. The Bar and Party scenes seem to be about as boring as I can remember as well. People are staying home more than ever on the weekends as well.

Are you saying that anecdotally, or from some data point?

Both. I can see it on Facebook among my Friends. My view point is probably a little skewed because most...well...nearly all of my friends are in their 30s with kids.

Here is some reading on the subject for you.

Millennials Have Discovered 'Going Out' Sucks - VICE

'I’d rather chill in and relax': why millennials don't go clubbing

Here is an article confirming the decline of Night Clubs over the last 10 years.

Millennials are no longer going to night clubs and Spotify is to blame

I walked into a Liquor Store tonight after the wedding that I deejayed tonight....I wanted to buy some rum...I am drinking that rum right now! :)

Anyway...The store has a bar attached to it. ...At 11:45 on a Saturday night they had loud music going over their house speakers. I walked into the bar and looked around. ...8 people in there...on a Saturday night. None of them were Millennials... Sad that on a Saturday night only 8 people were in there. ...That could also be because of the lousy cold weather today too though...plus January is Slow everywhere.

Yeah, it's called the Christmas hangover.
Discretionary spending always takes a hit this time of year.
Retail and service industries feel it the most.
That's interesting reading on the millenials.

When you say a song: 'isn't dance-able' you're speaking more to your personal conceptualization of dance - not the music.
Most DJs want people jumping up and down with their fist pointed in the air, but acute vertical motion and dancing are not the same thing.

I walked into a Liquor Store tonight after the wedding that I deejayed tonight....I wanted to buy some rum...I am drinking that rum right now! :)

Anyway...The store has a bar attached to it. ...At 11:45 on a Saturday night they had loud music going over their house speakers. I walked into the bar and looked around. ...8 people in there...on a Saturday night. None of them were Millennials... Sad that on a Saturday night only 8 people were in there. ...That could also be because of the lousy cold weather today too though...plus January is Slow everywhere.

The ski slopes seem to be quite full of Millennials this weekend. I don't think finding the party necessarily means finding the bar or liquor anymore. There's way more places to go and things to do today than in the past. Clubs have devolved into a really sleazy environment and that element is present no matter how much you dress it up.

This is also prime season for Bar Mitzvahs, so mobile DJs can be plenty busy on the weekends.

Reactions: dunlopj
Most DJs want people jumping up and down with their fist pointed in the air...

WHAT???... Pretty subjective, don't ya think?[emoji1] I do a lot of senior events, so the last thing I want is people jumping up and down.[emoji1]
I know CPR, but I don't want to spend the entire evening administering it![emoji1]
Besides, if you've ever watched a bunch of old people jumping up and down, it's not pretty... stuff flopping all over the place that was never meant to flop![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, the music others are listening to or what's popular doesn't matter. I don't dj to listen to music. I listen to music I like a lot around the house, in my yard, my car, and at my office. I listen to new music some of this time too, to get to know it. If I don't like it, I typically don't listen to it much again, but I'll have no problem playing it.

I do enjoy it when everyone is having a great time at a party. Whatever music is needed to do that is fine with me.

The club scene has certainly changed, but I don't think it's going away. DC used to be the home to quite a few "Mega-Clubs." Huge establishments with giant dance floors that could pack in literally thousands of patrons in a night. Almost all of those are gone with the exception of Echostage which opened and supports really big acts (Skrillex, Tiesto, etc.) that come to town.

What has taken their place are spaces that are a lot more intimate an lounge feeling establishments. They still want dancing, and they still hire DJs. But they also might have a great menu and do really nice food service before party hours. They might have a really nice craft cocktail menu and cater to that crowd. They're doing something more than just being a club. But on the majority of Friday and Saturday nights... they're still packed and loud.

This is also prime season for Bar Mitzvahs, so mobile DJs can be plenty busy on the weekends.

Such BS.

People are born through out the year. Parents choose to have the mitzvah for their child typically on their birthday, or the weekend closest to their birthday. Even with people born through out the year, mitzvahs are also down in the winter time.

If Mitzvahs are so prevalent this time of the year then do you have a mitzvah booked this upcoming weekend? If so, post some pics and video of you deejaying it :twocents:

Been doing this for 16 full years now. January has an average booking frequency of 1.5 events. I am fortunate, and have 2 weddings booked this yearin January. February is even less at below 1 event for the month. Last 2 years I had zero booked in February. This year will mark year 3 with zero events in February. February is historically a flat month for most businesses out there. Florists, and Floral department sales at grocery stores are Up due to Valentines Day. Restaurants are busier Valentines Day, and V Day weekend, but they are real slow the weekend before, and weekend after, so it's only a very small margin gain for the entire month.

The new job I just got has their slowest month of the year IN FEBRUARY. This is the slowest month of the year for most everybody North of Florida. The Mobile DJ industry is no stranger to this.

The club scene has certainly changed, but I don't think it's going away. DC used to be the home to quite a few "Mega-Clubs." Huge establishments with giant dance floors that could pack in literally thousands of patrons in a night. Almost all of those are gone with the exception of Echostage which opened and supports really big acts (Skrillex, Tiesto, etc.) that come to town.

What has taken their place are spaces that are a lot more intimate an lounge feeling establishments. They still want dancing, and they still hire DJs. But they also might have a great menu and do really nice food service before party hours. They might have a really nice craft cocktail menu and cater to that crowd. They're doing something more than just being a club. But on the majority of Friday and Saturday nights... they're still packed and loud.

The club scene has ALWAYS changed. It was different in the 70's than was in the 80's, then, the 90's, 2000's etc

Such BS.

People are born through out the year. Parents choose to have the mitzvah for their child typically on their birthday, or the weekend closest to their birthday. Even with people born through out the year, mitzvahs are also down in the winter time.

No dude, it sounds like you've been doing Jewish birthday parties (kids parties) - not the formal Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. It's not your birthday that is being celebrated at a Bar Mitzvah.

Bar-Mitzvahs follow the school season (Sept- June) and the Hebrew school calendars which is when the kids and families are around to participate. The schools and temples are where a person prepares of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah and so the school and temple will be the major factor in picking a date for the ceremony. They are essentially non-existent in the summer because the Hebrew schools are closed, and the kids are off to summer camps, vacation homes, and there's a scattering of family and friends that would otherwise make up your community and guest list.

Some of my biggest grossing months have been January - thanks to Bar Mitzvahs. You do know there's no such thing as a post-Christmas malaise with respect to Judaism, right? :)

The only truly blank weekends during the Bar Mitzvah season are the Jewish holidays (and Christmas - due to lack of vendors.)

Last edited:
My most popular month for Bar Mitzvah has been June as #1, and May as #2 . Pick 20 different venues in my area, call them up, and see if anybody is hosting a mitzvah this weekend.

To me, the music others are listening to or what's popular doesn't matter. I don't dj to listen to music. I listen to music I like a lot around the house, in my yard, my car, and at my office. I listen to new music some of this time too, to get to know it. If I don't like it, I typically don't listen to it much again, but I'll have no problem playing it.

I do enjoy it when everyone is having a great time at a party. Whatever music is needed to do that is fine with me.

I don't play to listen to music either but it actively gets in my ears and is much more enjoyable when I like it ;) That being said I agree ypou arn't there to satisfy yourself and if it packs the floor it's good I can learn to like it

No dude, it sounds like you've been doing Jewish birthday parties (kids parties) - not the formal Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. It's not your birthday that is being celebrated at a Bar Mitzvah.

Bar-Mitzvahs follow the school season (Sept- June) and the Hebrew school calendars which is when the kids and families are around to participate. The schools and temples are where a person prepares of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah and so the school and temple will be the major factor in picking a date for the ceremony. They are essentially non-existent in the summer because the Hebrew schools are closed, and the kids are off to summer camps, vacation homes, and there's a scattering of family and friends that would otherwise make up your community and guest list.

In full disclosure I don't do and have never done a Mitzvah but that was my understanding too that it followed the school year same as First Communion with Catholics. In large areas this can become a year round thing due to sheer numbers and being a necessity with the Spring being the most popular

How many new hot songs do you need in a year?
And for what crowd?

The HS dance last night 'black beatles' was a big success..now is it dance music? Party music? Just, um, FUN? I don't know if they kids care.

At a wedding the floor fillers are old songs...my girl, faithfully(which worked at teh hs dance too), cupid shuffle.

I'm not a fan of 24k magic, uptown funk is a year some old but it's still very good..if songs from last year count.

Now if you're talking something like Heathens..no, you can't dance to that.

Handclap and cake by the ocean are good, and people 'dance' to them.

or do you mean dances with a 'dance step' to them like hit the quan or whip it nae nae?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
My most popular month for Bar Mitzvah has been June as #1, and May as #2 . Pick 20 different venues in my area, call them up, and see if anybody is hosting a mitzvah this weekend.

I wouldn't be calling just 'anybody' looking for Bar Mitzvah venues. I'm not in your area, and fortunately I can keep a perspective based on my experience rather than yours.