I may figured out my frustration with DJing today

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I saw the Barenaked Ladies in Concert 3 years ago .. pretty cool group. I was in the "front row" ..
Seen them about 7 or 8 times. Always a great show

What amazes me are DJs who have said they have played in places where almost every Saturday night there was a fight in the place. Like that's OK or normal. Not to me. I couldn't play in a place like that where there was a fight almost every night I played there. I don't need the work or money that bad. My life is more important.

Mix that's what they call Saturday Nights Alright for fighting get it

I remember one post in particular where a DJ said he played in a place for 7 years on Saturday night and almost every Saturday a fight would break out. That could never be me. I wouldn't last that long in a situation like that. I would be long gone from playing there. A few months if that long and I would be looking for a new place to play.

Mix if your gonna be in this type of work you really should start off doing this. First roadie for 6 months so you can learn the ins and outs of the equipment. Second play at a bar because if you can deal with the drunks you can pretty much handle anyone

What amazes me are DJs who have said they have played in places where almost every Saturday night there was a fight in the place. Like that's OK or normal. Not to me. I couldn't play in a place like that where there was a fight almost every night I played there. I don't need the work or money that bad. My life is more important.

Mix that's what they call Saturday Nights Alright for fighting get it
They can call it whatever they want. I'm 58 years old and don't hangout or play in places that they have drama regularly. When I played in The Private Place Lounge rarely was there an issue where things had to be calmed down.

Once a guy went off on my GF at the time about a chair. Things got settled quickly and I didn't have to come off the stage. I kept playing. He was quickly shown the door.

I can remember a time when you could go to a bar or club to hear a DJ play and there was no need for security. Nobody would bother you and nobody just looking to start a fight. If a person stepped on your foot they would say excuse me and there was no issues at all. There was a time when you could go to the park, leave your keys in the car, go to sleep on the grass with your wallet out and nobody bothered you. Try that now. Unfortunately things have changed. IN this area things changed after the riot in 67 or 68. After that things have never been the same. Businesses left the area where you used to didn't have to go downtown to go shopping. So much has changed.

They can call it whatever they want. I'm 58 years old and don't hangout or play in places that they have drama regularly. When I played in The Private Place Lounge rarely was there an issue where things had to be calmed down.

Once a guy went off on my GF at the time about a chair. Things got settled quickly and I didn't have to come off the stage. I kept playing. He was quickly shown the door.

No matter what type of event you are doing there is a chance for trouble. If it happens you only got seconds to defuse it or expect the worst. Mix I am 62 and if trouble starts I wont runaway from it

Reactions: ittigger
About 15 years ago, I was at a bar with 2 friends of mine that are cops. A fight starts and then moves outside. EVERYONE in the bar goes outside either to watch the fight or join in.

Except 3 people. We were there to have a drink.

Jokingly, I said, "You guys aren't going to go break that fight up?"

One of them said, "No, are going to play us some music?"

No matter what type of event you are doing there is a chance for trouble. If it happens you only got seconds to defuse it or expect the worst. Mix I am 62 and if trouble starts I wont runaway from it
I don't take it upon myself to defuse anything. That's not my job. I will get on the mic and that's it. If I need to I have no problem with leaving and the client if it's a private event doesn't get any money refunded.

For me, if trouble starts, I'll attempt to diffuse it if possible. If that doesn't seem possible, walking away is next option in line.

If that's not possible, then I'll defend myself.

Now I'm talking about when a drunk comes up to me and demands to hear a song, if a fight breaks out on the dance floor and it doesn't get near me I don't worry about it. I just defend my 8 foot area.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I can remember a time when you could go to a bar or club to hear a DJ play and there was no need for security. Nobody would bother you and nobody just looking to start a fight. If a person stepped on your foot they would say excuse me and there was no issues at all. There was a time when you could go to the park, leave your keys in the car, go to sleep on the grass with your wallet out and nobody bothered you. Try that now. Unfortunately things have changed. IN this area things changed after the riot in 67 or 68. After that things have never been the same. Businesses left the area where you used to didn't have to go downtown to go shopping. So much has changed.

You can either continue to complain about the area and do nothing about it or you can stop complaining and relocate to a better area.

Boy, i've heard that before and no, it's so easy to just up and relocate to a better area. While the are you are in may not be the greatest, you know it and they know you.
Moving to a new area has hard costs and you're new there - nobody knows you, you know nobody. The first year, perhaps more, will suck for sales. To get known you'll have to spend more time/effort that you may have had to if you'd stay put.

Some advice is much easier to give than to do.

Maybe if your single, live in a apartment it's not too hard to move - have kids in school, elderly parents, be involved in your community, own a house and it gets more complicated.

You can either continue to complain about the area and do nothing about it or you can stop complaining and relocate to a better area.

Reactions: Albatross
Boy, i've heard that before and no, it's so easy to just up and relocate to a better area. While the are you are in may not be the greatest, you know it and they know you.
Moving to a new area has hard costs and you're new there - nobody knows you, you know nobody. The first year, perhaps more, will suck for sales. To get known you'll have to spend more time/effort that you may have had to if you'd stay put.

Maybe if your single, live in a apartment it's not too hard to move - have kids in school, elderly parents, be involved in your community, own a house and it gets more complicated.
Nothing worthwhile is easy. Everyone has to make choices and many include compromise. One needn't move 300 miles away and leave everything behind.

While I understand what you're saying, no it is not easy to up and move - but it can be done - and if the world you truly live in is miserable (nothing positive), then what have you got to lose. The specific person referred .. is single and I doubt owns a home. Members of the military move every few years. Contractors will often move to follow the work.

Again, either stay and deal with what you have and continue to complain and make no changes .. or do something about it. I can pretty much guarantee that the greatest accomplishments in your life were not easy ones.

Not complaining sir. Just cautious about where I play at and the events I do. Like I said I'm not hard up for money and that's why I don't chase after any event or any place to play because there is money to be made.

Many fail not because of the area, but because of attitude, skills, poor/wrong marketing.

WHY are you failing where you are? Is it the area/economy? Prove it. There are places where you gotta go - detroit probably qualifies.
An issue to moving is sure, you will get double in DC or NYC what you get here, if not more - BUT the cost to be there, live, work, etc is also gonna be 50-100% higher too. Net result is no improvement in the bottom line.

While I understand what you're saying, no it is not easy to up and move - but it can be done - and if the world you truly live in is miserable (nothing positive), then what have you got to lose. The specific person referred .. is single and I doubt owns a home. Members of the military move every few years. Contractors will often move to follow the work.

Again, either stay and deal with what you have and continue to complain and make no changes .. or do something about it. I can pretty much guarantee that the greatest accomplishments in your life were not easy ones.

Reactions: ittigger
Many fail not because of the area, but because of attitude, skills, poor/wrong marketing.

WHY are you failing where you are? Is it the area/economy? Prove it. There are places where you gotta go - detroit probably qualifies.
An issue to moving is sure, you will get double in DC or NYC what you get here, if not more - BUT the cost to be there, live, work, etc is also gonna be 50-100% higher too. Net result is no improvement in the bottom line.

If we're talking about business success, I might agree. In a more complete thought (business, life, etc), if you live in an area where they need security at every event, people often break into cars and houses, etc - then moving to a better neighborhood could potentially have alot more benefits than staying put. When you live in Rome, you will most likely live as the Romans do. If you want to live like the French, then you need to figure out a way to move there. Complaining about the Romans does nothing, when you yourself take no action to make it better.