I may not be able to use 1 of my subs this Saturday.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
My size 10 and a half shoes are 12" So, two foot = 24 inches. Most doors are 32 inches or wider. If the subs won't fit, turn them sideways to fit the opening. If the door is smaller than 32 " you are providing way too much sound for the venue!!

You all are slipping. No wise cracks about me wanting to use more than is needed thinking I'm looking to impress the crowd. LOL.

That's just assumed for your posts these days.

Like I said a number of times before, IMO, you have the WRONG equipment to do what your events pan out to. As someone who also has a back problem, I am not looking for larger gear .. you shouldn't have gotten the Yorkvilles or the Earthquakes. This is a perfect example. I will venture a pair of 10" or 12" tops over a pair of lightweight 15" subs would be MORE than enough to cover the room and be light enough to carry up stairs if needed.

It's about 2 things. Making sure I have the right sound for the room and I'm setting up my light stand. Giving them something they are not used to seeing. That brings on more work for the question about if the lights make me more money.

Mix, has that worked out for you before. You have given people the house and have no received any more work for it. If they do not like the music you are playing or the job you are doing all the lights speakers and anything else you want to throw in for free will not get you more jobs. All these years and all the advice given and you still think people hire a DJ because of the gear he/she has or uses.

Reactions: ittigger
Mix, has that worked out for you before. You have given people the house and have no received any more work for it. If they do not like the music you are playing or the job you are doing all the lights speakers and anything else you want to throw in for free will not get you more jobs. All these years and all the advice given and you still think people hire a DJ because of the gear he/she has or uses.
I know they don't book a DJ for the most part based on what gear they use. Most won't know one piece from another. They will know if the gear used sounds like garbage. They may not know why it sounds like garbage but they will know it sounds bad. It's not just about having the right music for an event but knowing when to play what and how to read a crowd.

It's about 2 things. Making sure I have the right sound for the room and I'm setting up my light stand. Giving them something they are not used to seeing. That brings on more work for the question about if the lights make me more money.
It's NOT the right sound for the ROOM .. it's the right sound for the NEED. If you have a large room and a small area that people are listening, you DON'T have to bring a lot of gear just because the room is large.

Unless you're putting on a concert, our typical need is to cover a 30'x30' area with dance music and maybe a 70'x70' or so area with speech and back ground music. That doesn't require the kind of firepower some think is necessary.

Bigger is not always BETTER
Glad you said that because some DJ's think to impress the crowd you have to have the music blasting. I went to a place where the DJ was in a back room. He had the music so loud my ears were ringing. It sounded horrible. Nothing but distortion coming through the speakers.

Glad you said that because some DJ's think to impress the crowd you have to have the music blasting. I went to a place where the DJ was in a back room. He had the music so loud my ears were ringing. It sounded horrible. Nothing but distortion coming through the speakers.
But it is YOU that keeps saying we don't know your crowds and the quantity of gear you bring for the 20 or so people that show up IS NECESSARY.

I say BUNK ... try renting some small 15" subs (Yamaha DXF, JBL PRX 715XLF, RCF 705ASII) and see how easy they are to manage vs. what you have. Or really test the outside the box theory and rent a pair of RCF EVOX.

I use my RCF 90% of the time light weight easy to move and sound Great cant go wrong

Same with my NX. It's very rare you would need a 150 Lb sub to be able to handle an adult crowd

Reactions: redhotdj
I have an event to do this Saturday and I just got finished with checking out the room where the event is to take place. The room is a good size room and I do need a sub in this room. They have an elevator which is great! Also a stage where I can setup and play from.

2 issues with this room. There are no working outlets on the stage. So you have to run an exstention cord to get power and the door to get into the room is small. So I don't know if 1 of my 801p subs will fit through that door. I hope so. If not I will just have to go with the powered tops. I just love that there is an elevator!

Just had to share that and no beating me up about getting rid of the Yamaha subs. They wouldn't cut it in a room this big.

You don't carry a measuring tape in the van? Or cut a string to the width of the door, and measure it when you get home. How would the yamaha subs not cut it when you might only end up using your tops. The yamaha subs would be better then no subs.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Did your buddies, cousin, uncle ever finish repairing, and re-painting your dsr-115's? I wish you luck with this gig, but I would almost bet money that you will come back on here with some drama that popped off at this gig.

Did your buddies, cousin, uncle ever finish repairing, and re-painting your dsr-115's? I wish you luck with this gig, but I would almost bet money that you will come back on here with some drama that popped off at this gig.
No not that kind of event or crowd. All will be well! I told you I'm at the age where I do events where I feel there may be drama. If I feel there will be drama I pass and let the next DJ do it.

No not that kind of event or crowd. All will be well! I told you I'm at the age where I do events where I feel there may be drama. If I feel there will be drama I pass and let the next DJ do it.
Mix .. no offense .. but it seems you create, or participate in, a lot of the drama you "try to avoid".

Read what you posted sir. Your contradicting yourself above.

Read what you posted sir. Your contradicting yourself above.
How am I contradicting myself? I said it the way I meant it. I used to go chase after any gig that had money to be made. I stopped doing that. Mylife today is worth more than money. Some of you have admitted you will do any gig so long as the price is right. I'm not that DJ any more. I have to feel the event will be safe and one I want to do or I will pass.

I remember one DJ on here talking about being in a drama situation and still playing there. That DJ said he plays in a place where every other Saturday a fight breaks out. The sad part is some of you see that as being normal and wouldn't have a problem with it.

Once I could deal with but people constantly fighting in a place is a big NO NO for me! I would have been long gone. Never mind playing there for 7 years.