I Need Some Wash Lights

Discussion in 'DJ Lighting & Special Effects' started by DJ Bobcat, Jun 6, 2017.

1. B-Sharp

B-Sharp DJ Extraordinaire

Ridiculously good wash coverage. The Swarms are aimed left and right, so that they don't overlap. For bigger events, I'll put the Swarms on top of truss totems and uplight the totems. For the biggest events, the Swarms stay home and I'll use moving heads (QSpot 260 LED) on the totems.

I aim them high and above the audience - they're at least 12 feet in the air on top of the T-Par, and pointed up to the ceiling where the effect is more pronounced. Aiming them into a sea of people is pointless.

ittigger, DJ Bobcat and steve149 like this.
  2. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

That's perfect .. most pictures of them in use have them pointing AT the audience.

ittigger and DJ Bobcat like this.
  3. B-Sharp

B-Sharp DJ Extraordinaire

Something to point out about the Dotz T-Par, for the sake of the discussion: the stand that it comes with is complete garbage, and the mounting flange that comes attached to the T-Par isn't a standard-sized fitting. I ripped it off of the T-Par and attached one of these things to it, so that I could mount the T-Par on any standard tripod:
    [​IMG]

ittigger and DJ Bobcat like this.
  4. DJ TJ

DJ TJ DJ Extraordinaire

Geez Bob, too bad you're a day late.
    It was either yesterday or the day before that PSSL had a hell of a deal on refurb ADJ dotz pars.

Not the system with tripod stand but the individual pars (which are a little brighter) were going for $99 US iirc.
    Too bad you missed it. :(

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  5. azdeejay

azdeejay DJ Extraordinaire

There is also the LED Colorstrips , I have one that is 42 in lenght, its only RBG , but it sure is a lot easier to set up(well kind of) , and I like that there are less cables to deal with. I do wish instead of getting the 42 lenght, I should of gone with two of the smaller wash bars, I like you just kind of jumped into buying things, but , the rebate I got from Yamaha from buying the speakers paid for it, so win win I guess.

But I suppose if you go with the Dotz Par system or other ones like it , its even easier to setup, so there's that too , I do believe the lights can stay on the pole , so all you have to do is take it out of the case and set on the pole.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    DJ Bobcat likes this.
  6. DJ Bobcat

DJ Bobcat A New Kind Of Poop

Wouldn't be the first time, TJ. Funny thing is, I'm usually a day early, but it doesn't work for a SALE. I need to check out PSSL from time to time. Not a place I've bought from, but comes up in searches all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DJ Bobcat

I think I'm leaning heavily toward the ADJ DOTZ T-PAR. It wasn't even on my radar before starting this thread, but it looks good and the price is about right. I like that it comes with a bag, and the ease of setup is as you described; pull it out of the bag with lights already mounted on the bar, mount the bar on the stand, run your power and DMX cable and you're good to go.

azdeejay likes this.
  8. IceBurghDJ

IceBurghDJ DJ Extraordinaire

i also lack wash lights..i have a chauvet 4play - similar in concept/construction ot the other gigbar type things and it's quite easy to setup and i put 2 mini kintas on top (it includes the mounts).

So may have to get a adj bar myself - i like that you can control the extra outlets via dmx.

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  9. azdeejay

azdeejay DJ Extraordinaire

For you, I think going with the Dotz is probably a great idea, I got a bar to incorporate to what I already have, but I think I would go the same route as you if I had a do over.

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  10. DJ Bobcat

Just to conclude this thread... I ended up buying the ADJ Dotz TPar from IDJNOW for $339. Should get it next week some time. Since I've built a new light control PC, I'll set these new lights up with a couple of my old effects lights and that will be my light show. I'm hoping this will be the improvement I'm looking for. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I was not even considering this option before it was suggested here.

ittigger likes this.
  11. jaswrx

jaswrx DJ

Dotz is pretty decent for wash. You should be pretty happy. I prefer the Core Pars (better optics), and the 80 is super bright.

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  12. Ausumm

Ausumm Day Late and a Dollar Short

Bobcat... I also got rid of my entire show and went with the Dotz...you'll love it.
    I use the wash during cocktails and/or dinner...
    and let them auto chase for dancing....and static for slow songs.

Do you know....
    are the pars more of a SPOT with the lenses ON, or OFF?
    Or do you flip the lenses over?

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  13. ittigger

ittigger 100 Acre Industry Icon

From what I'm seeing, with the lenses off, they are a spot.

14. jaswrx

jaswrx DJ

Actually the lenses off are flood and lenses on is spot, at least on the chauvet core par version.

It's crazy how wide the wash is with lenses off. Two of them covers an entire dance floor.

ittigger likes this.
  15. rickryan.com

rickryan.com DJ Extraordinaire

I just happened to be looking at wash lights yesterday at Guitar Center. I currently use 2 colorstrips. Have you guys seen the Chauvet Slimbank T18? Smaller package than a colorstrip and it looked to be putting out a lot more lumens. I like the DOTZ, but I've gotten to liking having my wash lights mounted over the top of my K10s.

DJ Bobcat and ittigger like this.
  16. jaswrx

jaswrx DJ

I second that. I am a big believer in mounting lights on top of speakers. One core par 80 per speaker fills a whole gym. Dont get the full tbsr system.

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  17. Ausumm

Ausumm Day Late and a Dollar Short

They have a Colorstrip mini... too.
    Funny. When I bought my full size Colorstrip,
    people were putting window tinting on them
    because every thought they were too bright. (non DMX)

I thought about lights on speakers...but I play too many odd shaped rooms.
    Not only that, it means more cables/cords running up your speaker poles.

DJ Bobcat and ittigger like this.