I really want order a Macbook Pro

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
But I do not want to down size my screen size, I have had a 17 inch HP for the last 7 years I just can't see going backwards on this, does anyone else have this concern, heck I'd buy a 19 or 21 inch if I could find one

Reactions: ittigger
I won't go smaller than a 15". If you still want the big screen, I would probably choose the iMac over the MBP. For portability, I won't go over 15" and I refuse to go under 15".

Reactions: Jeff Romard
It is. I did specify 'I' in that post, referring to my own opinions. The biggest difference I see in the 13" and the 15" is the screen size and the price.

The 13" is way too small for me. The keyboard doesn't bother me - the available screen space (and size of items on the screen) does. The 17" systems (and larger) have a problem fitting in most backpacks or other similar type portability cases.

Last edited:
I have been DJing with mac for over 10 years using Megaseg. This software is only available for mac. Up until about 2 months ago, I carried around a 21" iMac in an ilugger case. It is padded and you can carry it with short or long straps or like a backpack. I used the iMac to dj for atlas 10 years as well. I finally ran out of space for storing music and did not like the idea of using an external hard drive.
Therefore I bought this. 13-inch MacBook Pro
It has a 1TB internal memory which should carry me for quite some time. Yes it is only 13" but with Megaseg it does not cause me any issues being able to see what I am doing or what I need to see.

I finally ran out of space for storing music and did not like the idea of using an external hard drive.
Therefore I bought this. 13-inch MacBook Pro
It has a 1TB internal memory which should carry me for quite some time. Yes it is only 13" but with Megaseg it does not cause me any issues being able to see what I am doing or what I need to see.

Why not add a new or additional hard drive to the iMac? Very simple to do and only costs the price of the hard drive. With SSD prices coming down, all of my iMacs have either 1TB or 2TB drives.

Why not add a new or additional hard drive to the iMac? Very simple to do and only costs the price of the hard drive. With SSD prices coming down, all of my iMacs have either 1TB or 2TB drives.
It began to bog down it seemed like and really was just the excuse I was looking for to buy a MacBook. I now use the imac for my DMX lighting software.

How about just an external monitor plugged into a smaller MacBook? Then you get a second screen to use as welll.

Reactions: Jas and ittigger
If it's a carted system, build something you can fold it down onto and lock it in place. If it's not a carted system, you'll have to case or bag it for each event.

Also could use an external monitor as Steve suggested.

My iMac is carried in a padded case and then sits on my console and slides under two padded brackets to hold it secured. When I get home, I bring my iMac inside and use it to prepare for my next event. Super easy!

But the idea of a Mac Mini is great as well, but that doesn't solve the problem of transporting a monitor and you'd have to hook up that video connection every time you play. Now, with the iMac, I hook up the power and USB and I am done. Takes two seconds.

My iMac is carried in a padded case and then sits on my console and slides under two padded brackets to hold it secured. When I get home, I bring my iMac inside and use it to prepare for my next event. Super easy!

But the idea of a Mac Mini is great as well, but that doesn't solve the problem of transporting a monitor and you'd have to hook up that video connection every time you play. Now, with the iMac, I hook up the power and USB and I am done. Takes two seconds.
If a Mac Mini was installed, you'd only have to hook up the power and video (HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort) for a monitor in the same 2 seconds. I have a slip mount (Vesa mount on monitor - no stand - that slides over the rest of the mount on a mic stand) .. it's a K&M https://www.amazon.com/19685-500-55-Adapter-Screens-11-01lbs-Capacity/dp/B00DOFQQZQ and there are other mounts.

I not sure if I should ask this lol, but is a Mac Book better for deejaying than a PC?

(not considering getting one, just curious)
Better .. not in my opionion .. though Apple makes solid hardware and OSX is stable as well. They tend to cost double what a similar spec'ed Windows laptop would cost. If you want style and the supposed panache of an Apple, then it may be better TO YOU. I find the lower price better FOR ME.

Sort of like asking if BOSE is better ... :)

Only YOU can decide what is better for YOU. Some like PC, while others like Mac. It's ALL personal preference.

A few things to consider; the majority of PC users know their devices are vulnerable to malware and viruses.

First of all, they don't cost double. The rule of thumb is that a similar Mac machine will cost you $100-$300 more than a comparable PC. No where near double the cost. But, compare repair frequencies posted by all manufacturer and see which is more reliable. The facts are there and published by each manufacturer. The results are interesting, to say the least.

In years past, PCs were known to crash, and users would get the “blue screen,” but Microsoft has made their operating systems more reliable in recent years. On the other hand, Mac hardware and software have tended to be stable, and crashes occur infrequently.

Unlike with a PC, a Mac can also run Windows. If you want to have a combination Mac and PC, a Mac is your best option.

In the end, the choice comes down to personal preference. Due to price and availability, PCs tend to be the winner, while Macs remain the choice for the more elite or anti-Microsoft computer users. Good thing that our brides don't shop by price alone...