Weddings I saw an actual "wedding singer" on Saturday

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
I attended as a guest to my niece's ceremony and reception this past Saturday in Herrington Beach Delaware at a golf club.

The DJ actually sang ALL the songs during the cocktail hour with a little intro before each one but he had a really good voice.

He had a slight buzz in his speakers so I suggested he run his laptop off the battery and bam...noise gone. He thanked me and I told him about the plug adapter idea.

He ran an older version of VDJ, but used the laptop's internal sound card.

This method continued for all the dinner portion except for one 10 minute break where he played a few actual SONGS.

And he did the same thing for the first few songs of the open dancing portion - again a short intro before each song. That's WAY too much talking IMHO.

He was always looking down at his screen and never really looked up to the crowd, but again, he had a pretty good singing (and speaking) voice.

Why is is so hard for DJ's (current and former) to just sit back and enjoy the festivities whilst a guest? Oh I had a great time, but kept internally criticizing him.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Dan The Man
I like how he has lights mounted to the top of the speaker. Custom mount points?

I've seen the singing thing before. I'm personally not a fan, but if they were - then that's all that matters.

When I first started DJing, I was doing a mixture of one man band and pre-recorded tracks. I'd play guitar and sing a couple then do a few mixed tracks. Can't say it had mass appeal, it was more for my musician's ego. When I finally realized people didn't want to hear that old crap, and that it would prevent me from going multi-op, I dropped it and haven't looked back. I think it's easier to sell standard DJ than some karaoke-singing DJ act.

I went to a wedding for my next door neighbor in June. They had a DJ male/female duo come in from NYC who (she) sang along with almost every song .. it got really annoying at times since it didn't add anything. She was attractive if that counts for something.

When I first started DJing, I was doing a mixture of one man band and pre-recorded tracks. I'd play guitar and sing a couple then do a few mixed tracks. Can't say it had mass appeal, it was more for my musician's ego. When I finally realized people didn't want to hear that old crap, and that it would prevent me from going multi-op, I dropped it and haven't looked back. I think it's easier to sell standard DJ than some karaoke-singing DJ act.
I see what you used to do as a lounge act at some resort on a Wednesday night

I like how he has lights mounted to the top of the speaker. Custom mount points?

I've seen the singing thing before. I'm personally not a fan, but if they were - then that's all that matters.
Maybe those speakers have a hanging mount , and he is using that?, I know my speakers have that on the top, and if I can ever get the cap off without scratching the hell out of the cabinet, I am going to see if I can mount a light to the top

Reactions: ittigger
Maybe those speakers have a hanging mount , and he is using that?, I know my speakers have that on the top, and if I can ever get the cap off without scratching the hell out of the cabinet, I am going to see if I can mount a light to the top
My Yamahas have a handle with an M10 thread right in the middle I made a bracket so I can mount two hex pars on top pf each one, works pretty slick

If your speaker has M10 sockets as Tunes said, you can either direct mount .. or use a pair of O-clamps set into the M10 sockets and a piece of light stand tubing clamped into the O-clamps. If you use a piece 24" in length, you can mount lights off the tube at the sides or on top. Someone used to sell a kit on eBay for that purpose.