I won the bid.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Mix,
Where are you gonna set the knobs and switches on the back of the big badd-azzzzzzz subs??????????
I think they have a "through the roof" setting

You are right to a degree. I had a great job with great benefits. So it would have been tough to walk away from that job. I got a pension when I retired from that job 4 years ago. My issue was me not advancing the business when I got back into it. I was just happy to be alive and back doing what I love to do.

Trust me I'm a miracle all the drugs I did for 25 years. All I can say to that is God wasn't ready to call me home at that time.

I'm not trying to be funny here, but I need to ask a question that might explain what you have been doing. Do you think that god is telling you to do these gigs that you are doing for next to nothing? Like do you feel that's in his plan? If your answer is yes, then I will never question the the things that you do in the future. If he is your guide, and your being obedient, then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be funny here, but I need to ask a question that might explain what you have been doing. Do you think that god is telling you to do these gigs that you are doing for next to nothing? Like do you feel that's in his plan? If your answer is yes, then I will never question the the things that you do in the future. If he is your guide, and your being obedient, then that's all that matters.

Everyone has their reason for doing what they do. Honestly if Mix were to say what he is charging the're would be many to give him a hard time over it and really what does it matter.

I do a 10 gigs a year for an organization that I am involved with that helps mentally and physically disabled people...Actually most months I'm not there I'm playing elsewhere. My daughter has played the last few. I started doing them in 1992 and I was charging them next to nothing by those standards and the price hasn't increased even a dime. I have a strong attachment to this organization and I'll continue to do them until I can't or the organization folds whichever comes first. Every DJ that ever worked for me has done at least one most have done several with no complaints. It was a great training ground for new DJ's too over the years

In reality even when I do it I don't make a dime off it I don't even consider it part of my plan I just do it.

I think the problem with Mix is he thinks he's building a business off doing charity gigs...It ain't happening. Do them because you feel you should not for the rewards because they are few and far between.

Mix has the problem I see in a lot of DJ's. Being a great DJ doesn't make you a great business man

Everyone has their reason for doing what they do. Honestly if Mix were to say what he is charging the're would be many to give him a hard time over it and really what does it matter.

It really doesn't matter. But then it's a hobby, which is ok too - but if this is the case, then he needs to at least admit it to himself first. That's the 1st step in any treatment place, which he should have already learned.

I think the problem with Mix is he thinks he's building a business off doing charity gigs...It ain't happening. Do them because you feel you should not for the rewards because they are few and far between.

Agreed.

Mix has the problem I see in a lot of DJ's. Being a great DJ doesn't make you a great business man

Agreed again.

Mix,
One of our big clients is a very expensive prep school.
They are not impressed by anything other than how it sounds and how it looks.
We do their graduation ceremony, with thousands of very critical people attending,
including some very important VIP's, guests and parents.
We use 8 QSC's and NO SUBS.
We also do a ton of events in their various gymnasiums. NO SUBS.
In fact, we installed several thousand dollars worth of noise cancelling panels in one of the gyms...
and we still do not use subs.
WHY?
Because using subs in the wrong situation makes it sound like crap.
PS
Beware of constantly saying that you "know what to do..."
when everyone on this site is giving you advice to do the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Mix,
One of our big clients is a very expensive prep school.
They are not impressed by anything other than how it sounds and how it looks.
We do their graduation ceremony, with thousands of very critical people attending,
including some very important VIP's, guests and parents.
We use 8 QSC's and NO SUBS.
We also do a ton of events in their various gymnasiums. NO SUBS.
In fact, we installed several thousand dollars worth of noise cancelling panels in one of the gyms...
and we still do not use subs.
WHY?
Because using subs in the wrong situation makes it sound like crap.
PS
Beware of constantly saying that you "know what to do..."
when everyone on this site is giving you advice to do the exact opposite.
Sorry if you feel the way you do. We don't have that many tops to use. Remember this it's about knowing what to do with what you're using. Assume you're assuming it will be overkill and I'm saying it won't be. It's about making the necessary adjustments so it's not overkill and it will sound right.

And I'm sure that you know more than everyone else here. When everyone else says turn left (because they've been down that road) - and you turn right, you probably didn't make a good move.

Reactions: Ausumm
And I'm sure that you know more than everyone else here. When everyone else says turn left (because they've been down that road) - and you turn right, you probably didn't make a good move.
Again the sound will be perfect. The thing to get out of your head is thinking that because I'm going to be using the 801p subs I'm going to go crazy and crank them up so I can serve what they can do. No need to because I already know what they are capable of doing. The trick is getting the sound to be even. Not having the tops or subs competing against one another.

Again the sound will be perfect. The thing to get out of your head is thinking that because I'm going to be using the 801p subs I'm going to go crazy and crank them up so I can serve what they can do. No need to because I already know what they are capable of doing. The trick is getting the sound to be even. Not having the tops or subs competing against one another.
This meaning no proper crossover

Cranking them or not cranking them is not the issue. At this point, your failure to comprehend what most other professionals are telling you is the problem.

THERE is the problem.
You are seeing this whole thread as everyone telling you the sound is gonna suck because you're using subs.
We're not.
We are trying to offer sound advice (pun intended) based on our experience in many different and similar situations.
So the sound doesn't suck!
You are so hell bent on claiming the sound will be perfect....
in a room you have never played in...
that you are totally discarding our advice.
Even my boss, who has been doing live sound for 40-years, for hundreds of local bands AND major acts...
wouldn't make that claim if he was going to play a room he's been in many times before.
And he certainly would NEVER claim that the "sound will be perfect" in a room he's never been in.

You are in an old auditorium there is no perfect no matter what you use but there are ways to make it acceptable and your way ain't one of them