Weddings If I Was A Wedding DJ

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I should speak in the present tense. If I am a Wedding DJ and regularly run into issues of space for my Gear, I would definitely invest in a Bose L1 System or something similar as what is discussed in Steve's thread here. http://ourdjtalk.com/threads/40386-New-Slimline-Line-Array-Speakers-from-Carvin.

Too expensive some may say! Well it is the tools of the Trade and Weddings should be paying enough to cover any one of these Systems in a quick turnaround time to recoup your investment. You won't have to deal with lack of space if mandated to a corner or otherwise limited space by the Venue. That does not mean it has to be your only system. It is ok to have several systems in case you get larger Gigs and need additional Firepower or SPL.

There should never be the need to have to setup with large gear in a confined space to look crammed in. Think of how you will appear to a potential client in the audience! They will have no way of knowing that it was not your fault. You will look unprofessional in some people's eyes. So it may be Ok to post a Gig Report here and say "this was the hand dealt to you" but you will never truly know what impression you are leaving on would be Clients. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think a client would really notice? I agree the smaller systems are great for confined spaces but let's face it the average client, venue, and DJ can't tell the difference in sound and don't care where the speakers are placed as long as the room is sounding good (and good is all in the ear of the beholder) and things are out of the way

Reactions: 6 people
Do you think a client would really notice? I agree the smaller systems are great for confined spaces but let's face it the average client, venue, and DJ can't tell the difference in sound and don't care where the speakers are placed as long as the room is sounding good (and good is all in the ear of the beholder) and things are out of the way
Well if one has ever been complimented about their setup and how nice and clean it looks then conversely that same observer would notice if it was congested. I do agree that most do not care but most are also not looking to hire a DJ.

I disagree Canute you can have a very congested setup and if you take time it can still look neat. Here's a pic of a setup I did a couple of years ago it's cramped but I don't think it looked all that badwebpic.jpg

I disagree Canute you can have a very congested setup and if you take time it can still look neat. Here's a pic of a setup I did a couple of years ago it's cramped but I don't think it looked all that badView attachment 24920
Yours does not, everything is all together as the photo depicts but I have seen many that were not. Those are the guys who need to pay heed. Again, placement contributes to neatness or lack of and some people may notice. If those who make excuses think that people don't notice, then they should not call to task, others who have Orange wires showing or speaker wires dangling.

there is so much I want to say here since I know this is directed at me.....but I am just going to stay silent
Patrick I don't hold back and neither should you. Speak your mind! Yes, the last post i commented on is part of this new thread discussion. If it makes sense to you then consider it. If it does not make sense to you then ignore it and keep on doing your thing. It is as simple as that. I like you and would like the best for you and the others, what is stated in this thread is MY opinion. You or nobody else don't have to take that advice.;)

Last edited:
To buy a new system for the few times you need to accommodate a less than optimal situation just doesn't make sense, at least to me.

The Bose L1 appears to be a great system, and makes sense to consider if one is planning a new system, but I think you're overestimating how much a typical client worries about such things. If the setup is neat, whether it's spread 6' or 16' will matter very little to most listeners.

Reactions: 5 people
To buy a new system for the few times you need to accommodate a less than optimal situation just doesn't make sense, at least to me.

The Bose L1 appears to be a great system, and makes sense to consider if one is planning a new system, but I think you're overestimating how much a typical client worries about such things. If the setup is neat, whether it's spread 6' or 16' will matter very little to most listeners.
Between one to two Gigs will allow me to recoup my investment in a Bose system. It was meant for people who frequently run into "Space Challenges" at Venues. My quote was "If I am a Wedding DJ and regularly run into issues of space for my Gear,...."

I think Mix is the only one who regularly runs into space challenges and the Bose L1 is probably not a good fit.

Reactions: 3 people
Most of the time I have no idea how much space I'm going to have until I get to the gig. Even if I tell the client how much room I need, the venue can ruin it unknowingly. Here's a corp gig I did last month. I told the client how much space I needed, but they didn't set up the Christmas trees. The venue did.

P1190879.JPG

Most of the time I have no idea how much space I'm going to have until I get to the gig. Even if I tell the client how much room I need, the venue can ruin it unknowingly. Here's a corp gig I did last month. I told the client how much space I needed, but they didn't set up the Christmas trees. The venue did.

View attachment 24925
That happened to me once at the Hyatt Downtown, I had them Move it closer to me and the stage and I placed my speakers on the outside of each one. Then they has used up the Circuit outlet and wanted me to run an extension cord for my gear to the Kitchen, yeah right! I had them unplug the trees and run them from the same said extension cord and I used the wall circuits. In your pic I would have placed my speakers on the outside of the tree. I don't know how much space you had on the right side of the Pic. Inconclusive per the photo.

Dinner tables on both sides, just outside of the shot. I'm not there to piss off the staff by making demands. I just roll with it.
Why do you guys always feel that to ask for something is pissing off the Staff? After what I did at the Hyatt I have been back there several times.

I should speak in the present tense. If I am a Wedding DJ and regularly run into issues of space for my Gear,

Are you talking about pack space in the vehicle?
Are you talking about setup footprint in the venue?

In general, setup footprint will be about the same for any reasonable "tops on stick, sub(s) in the corner" setup. The space is more about the tripod footprint than the cabinet. If you are talking about "visual impact" of the gear...that is a different thing entirely.

Here is an example of a small space setup in a corner. Behind the table are two subs, the dolly and equipment boxes. The DJ console holds the controller, laptop, mixer, etc. Total floor space consumed is about 7ft x 4ft - less than the area of two 8ft banquet tables. The venue was about 1200 sqft with 90 guests. There was not a need or room to spread the speakers out.
543277_10200206934956734_942230522_n.jpg

Why do you guys always feel that to ask for something is pissing off the Staff? After what I did at the Hyatt I have been back there several times.

Point of clarification requested. You've been back there several times, was it by the staff's (not a event manager/coordinator) choice or were you contracted in by someone else?