Interactive DJs Interactive DJ

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 12, 2007
Niagara Falls Canada
How many would consider themselves as an interactive DJ. This is my first year DJ'ing and I'm wondering what you consider to be an interactive DJ, what do you do, lead dances, a lot of mic use, play games. Please share what you do to get a crowd involved and dancing.

Dean
Niagara Premeir DJ's

Hey Dean,

Don't feel slighted. It has been quiet on the board lately. We do have quite a number of interactive service providers as members here. The topic has also been discussed quite often in the forum as well. I'm sure if you search some key words on the topic, you would find some helpful information.

If not, I'm sure somebody will chime in eventually.

Good luck.

I think its all up to perception. I think I'm fairly interactive. But I don't lead dances or stand on tables our pull out my trusty blow up gear :sqlaugh:. I tell most of our clients that I run there formal portion of there event with style, smooth announcements and a since of excitement and direction (read heading towards open dance). I have been know to through my since of humor in when it fits. But never push anything. My whole way of doing things is basically to pull off a fun but smooth formal portion.

And during the open dance portion is when I'm actually more myself. Then I become more animated and I interact with the crowed more and say things to motivate them to dance. I think this is where your since of fun needs to come out. I have been known to play a few games during the formal part but only with the bride and groom having asked me before hand. Now don't get me wrong if you do any of the things that I do not do dosen't mean anything. It simply means that everyone has there own style.

Okay I have been simply doing this with great success for 35+ yrs. Jockeying the tunes that they want to dance to.

The very fact that you play a song and someone responds to it is itself interactive.

This whole "interactive" movement has come about as a result of DJs competing for attention. "Interactive" is a misnomer. The correct question is:
"how entertaining are you?"

To be entertaining you need to have some kind of applicable and presentable base talent. People love to be entertained. Dancers, dance instructors, comedians, and magicians, etc. all do well with this.

However, the ability to facilitate a game is not really a talent it's a leadership skill - and this is why certain customers will avoid "interactive" DJs. They are not looking for a leader.

There are also customers for whom follow the leader is exactly what it takes to make them entertaining; and for this type of person the games and such are a requisite part of keeping their party out of the abyss of boredom.

When I first started out, I did what every it took to get things going. Now as I look back, I'm not sure that was always the correct thing to do. Now I do very little.

I make my living from being an interactive dj. Call it what you want it involves more than just spinning. (Which by the way means making yarn.)
As does a magician or hypnotist I use people as props to entertain. If I don't interact with them they are not that entertaining. (the majority of the time).

There are literally thousands of ways to interact. I would suggest you pick two or three and practice. There are always some charity events you can set up and work on them.

Lead a line dance, participation dance, skits, games, contests, introductions are all interactive.
Most of all have fun!

Paul

I use people as props to entertain. If I don't interact with them they are not that entertaining.

That works both ways.
I know quite a few DJs with an exaggerated sense of their own entertainment value, based on what the other person ("prop") has brought to the moment.

interactive means different things to different DJs.... but I don't care what others DJs think or call it...

What I care about is what the buying public calls it,,, what term are they used to, that is what matters....

I think I can be interactive if the event is booked for that aspect of my service....

That works both ways.
I know quite a few DJs with an exaggerated sense of their own entertainment value, based on what the other person ("prop") has brought to the moment.

I would say they needed more practice!

Sometimes using people for props means being the set-up. Baititng them into a situation that makes them the funny guy/gal.

I know some who think they can do what we do and come off as arrogant a- holes! Timing is everything.

Paul

I would think "most" DJ's are interactive
(maybe not some of the dance-music-all-nite club DJ's)
So it's a matter of personal preference and comfort level.
(how much you're willing to do, how much the audience is willing to put up with)

I know some guys/gals who who only talk as much as they have to
and are otherwise blind as to what's going on on the floor.

Personally, I like to make myself look bad to make the audience feel good.
It shows that I am not putting myself ABOVE them...
and it gives me the freedom to "pick-on" those individuals who are dying for attention
(you know, the loud, obnoxious Ushers who help turn a dull crowd into a party crowd!)

Games can be fun & enjoyable at just about any celebration. Just make sure that you & you clients have talked about them prior to you doing them.

I have mixed feelings on games & their importance as to the success of a night. I think for the right party they are great & may enhance the experience of all. On the flip side some times the can "slow down the night" as now you just got every one dancing & now you are asking them to stop & form teams...

I'd say get some games together & offer them in one of your packages. Call it the Game Nite Package or what ever you'd like (it would consist of DJ music & several games to be played in a row or spread out- your call depending on how the party is going & the crowd). To do games successfully at an event it's good to have a close-nit group, other wise you will find it hard to get people involved (find this out before you offer the "Game Nite Package").

When it come to which games to use, make some up- use your imagination. Just don't make them too complicated.

As for line & group dances, my wife leads them:)!

When it comes to talking on the mic, I'd say talk as much as you need to. In other words if the crowd needs more encouragement talk more & if the are dancing allot you don't need to talk as much.

One pointer I'd give is if it's a hard crowd- keep on talking & keep it positive. NEVER make it seem like you are defeated & never on the mic put down the crowd for not dancing. A crowd is very much like the jury at a trial. Some juries are great for your cause & some aren't. Every group is different. Lastly I'd like to say compliment your crowd if they are dancing. Say things like- "great job dancing out there" & "we got some great dancers here tonight".... (I typically compliment the crowd 3-4 times during the night). This makes them feel good about them selves & in turn keeps bringing them back to the dance floor, because they now associate the dance floor with positive feelings.