Ipods and Weddings do not mix

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
A very good Dj friend of my also runs a lighting and Decor service. He said that the couple paid the extra for the light and gobo but they were going to do the music with a Ipod. He offer the dj service to them but they didn't have the extra cash so they said they will handle the music. I am going to attach the link to the video PLEASE be advise it is very painful to listen to. My Dj friend narrates a little through out this video. He also only show some of the video at the beginning so you can see the uplighting and the Gobo on the floor. Please use this as a example to for future client to advise them what could happen. We do a lot more than just push play.

YouTube- ipod wedding.mp4

Well, it would have been nice to see the dance floor for the reception.

I will tell you that an iPod wedding can be done for the right situations:

• A budget that cannot accommodate even a low priced DJ.
  • A small, intimate wedding at which only a few guests will be present and only background music is needed.
  • A wedding at which there will be no dancing but background music is desired.

To make it work you need:

• More than one iPod. You may want one with just your ceremony music, one for cocktails, one for dinner, one with all the special dances, and one for dance time. You'll also want backups of each of these in case of failure.
  • An audio system to amplify your iPod(s). You will need to locate and visit your local A/V rental company. Many will deliver, set up, take down, and take away the system for you. Make sure they also provide a microphone. Some may also provide the appropriate wire to hook up your iPod.
  • A 1/8" or miniplug to go into your headset plug on your iPod or an iDJ iPod mixer. If you use the miniplug, find out what kind of plug you will need on the other end from the A/V rental company. If you use the iDJ, find out what you will need to connect it to the A/V gear you rent. Some A/V companies have a special iPod package that includes all of the necessary connections.
  • A Master/Mistress of Ceremonies (MC) to make all of the announcements and introductions. This can be Uncle Bob or Aunt Sally but make sure that they have some public speaking experience and keep them away from the liquid happiness because the last thing you want is a drunk MC ruining your wedding.
  • Somebody to run the iPod and sound gear. Make sure they have some experience with this because the last thing you want to hear is Sir Mix-A-Lot belting out "I like big butts" when it is time for the bride to walk down the aisle.

And yes, I have this posted on my website.

I use an ipod at a wedding ( but only as a backup) I have it cued up just in case of a glitch with the computer. Have not had to use it for this reason. I have used it to provide background when I set up my controller and computer.

can't believe they spent all their money on lights,
and skimped on the DJ.
No offense to you, Ronnie...the lights look great, and I love the idea of uplighting...
just cannot believe that someone chose to pass on the DJ (I assume for budget reasons)
but decided to pay extra for something they didn't really need.

it's like buying a new car for the great tires
even though the engine is not included.

Well, it would have been nice to see the dance floor for the reception.

I will tell you that an iPod wedding can be done for the right situations:

• A small, intimate wedding at which only a few guests will be present and only background music is needed.

To make it work you need:

• More than one iPod. You may want one with just your ceremony music, one for cocktails, one for dinner, one with all the special dances, and one for dance time. You'll also want backups of each of these in case of failure.
  • An audio system to amplify your iPod(s). You will need to locate and visit your local A/V rental company. Many will deliver, set up, take down, and take away the system for you. Make sure they also provide a microphone. Some may also provide the appropriate wire to hook up your iPod.
  • A 1/8" or miniplug to go into your headset plug on your iPod or an iDJ iPod mixer. If you use the miniplug, find out what kind of plug you will need on the other end from the A/V rental company. If you use the iDJ, find out what you will need to connect it to the A/V gear you rent. Some A/V companies have a special iPod package that includes all of the necessary connections.
  • A Master/Mistress of Ceremonies (MC) to make all of the announcements and introductions. This can be Uncle Bob or Aunt Sally but make sure that they have some public speaking experience and keep them away from the liquid happiness because the last thing you want is a drunk MC ruining your wedding.
  • Somebody to run the iPod and sound gear. Make sure they have some experience with this because the last thing you want to hear is Sir Mix-A-Lot belting out "I like big butts" when it is time for the bride to walk down the aisle.

And yes, I have this posted on my website.

I'm sorry to say, but unless you are in the Audio Equipment Rental business I would not offer nor would I put this type of information on my website. We are in the Entertainment business and our job is to provide the best service to our clients. If this is the best service we can provide to our clients then we have lost focus on what is really important to our clients. Ipods are great for backups, simple ceremonies and for dinner and cocktail hour and should be set up and handled by a DJ or Mobile Entertainer

I've seen hundreds of well done Ipod an DIY wedding receptions and other parties. As hank said" "it's not the gear that makes the difference" - it's the people who do the planning.

It needs to be asked: "did your friend get permission to video-record this wedding? What rights does he posses to add his commentary and post this online and/or use it for advertsing? I think if his customer finds this posted he could end up owing them many times more what they paid for his lights.

To be honest - your friend is throwing stones without regard to his own glass house. The lights in that video are cheezy and poorly done. It could just as well be the middel school lunch jam. It also feels "sleazy" to be watching/listening as he narrates his sneaky hidden camera attack on a customer who's interest he is supposed to be serving. It is not that difficult to see how your friend happened upon this careless group of people. (see: Law of Attraction.)

I'm sorry to say, but unless you are in the Audio Equipment Rental business I would not offer nor would I put this type of information on my website. We are in the Entertainment business and our job is to provide the best service to our clients. If this is the best service we can provide to our clients then we have lost focus on what is really important to our clients. Ipods are great for backups, simple ceremonies and for dinner and cocktail hour and should be set up and handled by a DJ or Mobile Entertainer

RonnieG, you need to look at the situations in which I state that an iPod wedding could work. To restate, they are:

We, as DJs, let our egos dictate that only a DJ can do the job correctly. Beleieve me, there are plenty of parties and weddings that happen every day that get along fine without a DJ. Some use bands, some use iPods, and some have no musical entertainment at all.

Yes, this is the entertainment business but not all folks need or want the entertainment we provide.

an iPod wedding could work. To restate, they are:

Even that, is way off base. You do not need to be on the brink of poverty to choose this route. My rentals have been to very upscale hotels and venues, and outdoor tents too. (Tent weddings are typically more costly because an entire temporary facility must be created.)

Personal preferences (lack of value) rather than a lack of money is often the motivation people have for avoidig DJs.

DJs do not have the market cornered on "fun." This is not rocket science - it's just people coming together to celebrate and enjoy themselves in each other's company.

I've been supplementing my DJ income with rentals for more than 2 decades with rental receipts that out-pace even the benchmarks of many self-proclaimed DJ "gurus."

I can assure you that throwing a great party or wedding reception does not require a professional DJ. It's nice when people book us to handle things - but, hiring a full DJ service is not the only path to a successful event.

Delivery/pickup is often requested where there is a wedding or other event with so little time to spare and so, I get a chance to see exactly what the results are. I also ask people about their experience since this informatiojn is important to helping future custmers realize their own expectations. I often arrived at these events for pickup while they are still going on, just as they end, or while people are still hanging out. (It is also not unusual for these events to go into overtime since there is no DJ demanding cash up front to continue.) I can assure you there is plenty of dancing, smiling faces, and a good time had by all.

What I hear people saying to their hosts and what they reprt to me is the same thing they say to DJs: "What a great party, ... this was so much fun... this is the best wedding I've been to" ....etc.

Throwing a great party is as simple as having a great plan and being a gracious host.