Just pre-ordered a Google Home unit

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
Today I pre-ordered a Google Home unit. Can't wait to test it out on November 7th.

I hope I can download the required app to my desktop as I don't have a smart phone or a tablet.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

I plan to buy 2 "Nest" smoke detectors and a Nest" thermostat.

They look pretty interesting. Let us know what you think

Reactions: dunlopj
Today I pre-ordered a Google Home unit. Can't wait to test it out on November 7th.

I hope I can download the required app to my desktop as I don't have a smart phone or a tablet.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

I plan to buy 2 "Nest" smoke detectors and a Nest" thermostat.
You don't have a smart phone or a tablet. How do you call yourself a real DJ? Tisk tisk.:laugh:

On top of everything else you have to pay (income tax, etc) 1.33% of your total sales is payable to your city. That's insane, my man. Bless you for having to put up with that. I wonder how many of the DJs in your area actually have the documents? Do the banquet halls require proof of licensing?

I'd say about 50% have the proper documentation. Less than that have insurance. Only 2 locations require liability insurance.

Reactions: Cap Capello
That's a classic example of why, for three decades, I have argued at conventions, on forums and facebook, and as a member of all the national organizations, against any efforts, locally or nationally, to "license" DJs. Unless it is enforced right where the DJ enters the premises to work, the honest DJ will abide, and the other 75% won't.

Until enforcement is real and total, a certificate and a square of toilet paper share equal value and purpose.

That's a classic example of why, for three decades, I have argued at conventions, on forums and facebook, and as a member of all the national organizations, against any efforts, locally or nationally, to "license" DJs. Unless it is enforced right where the DJ enters the premises to work, the honest DJ will abide, and the other 75% won't.

Until enforcement is real and total, a certificate and a square of toilet paper share equal value and purpose.
So do you practice what you preach or are you a rebel until everyone follows the rules?

Funny! That's the business license I had to purchase to conduct business legally here in my city.

What city is that? What is the license for and what are the penalties for not having the proper license?

What is the cost or requirements?

Scott Hanna : According to his facebook information, Toledo, Ohio. $47/year or 1.33% of gross receipts, whichever is higher.

BlueLineDJ : I'm not sure what you mean, practice versus preach, however I have never been without comprehensive liability insurance which also covers my home/office, up to $10K medical, $15K equipment replacement, and more. I do not belong to any national group or organization.

There is no business license requirement in my area and sales tax only applies to adjunct equipment (uplights, photobooth, monogramming, et al ) if delineated separately in contract. DJ services (for now) are not taxable, however (obviously) the income derived is subject to state and federal income tax.

If you mean something beyond this, a more detailed question would be extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonic-vision
Toledo, OH? That's not me. We have a annual license fee for anyone that wants to conduct business within the city limits. It is $47/year or 1.39% of the net profits, whichever is greater. Penalties of not complying are for them to revoke your license or shut you business down (however they try). I know law enforcement has become involved and served notices to for people to stop business immediately. They can impose fines if you continue.
By practice what you preached, I was curious if you complied or if you felt compelled not to until everyone was treated equally and the law was enforced overall.

Reactions: Cap Capello
If it is law, I do comply. If it is mandated by the facility (e.g. proof of liability), mandated by a school (e.g. automobile insurance), or other reasonable demand in order for me to provide my services in any given location, I will comply.

If it is voluntary, or somehow intonated that I am subhuman because any organization says their certification guarantees top quality, top flight, over the top talent (as long as you pay an annual fee), and if asked how do I feel about them, you may be assured they will receive the toilet paper square analogy.

Did I effectively answer your question?

(And my apologies. Owensboro, Kentucky.)

Reactions: BlueLineDJ