Karaoke software

Discussion in 'Digital DJs' started by Ruben Mora, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Ruben Mora

Ruben Mora Well-Known DJ

What recommendations do you have on karaoke software? Is web based the way to go? Thanks!

2. rickryan.com

rickryan.com DJ Extraordinaire

I don't know of a web-based player. Karasoft is a freebie player and in my view, probably one of the best working players out there. They also have an option that lets you rent their entire library for like $6 for a 48 hour period. It is a hot-download that does require a web connection but it is solid. I've used it several times and it's been great.

dashadow, TwinSpinDJ and Ruben Mora like this.
  3. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

KaraFun also works with local CDG files, so it may be a good bet for those not doing it daily. The only weakness seems to be limited rotation control ability (show singers, advertisements, etc.). It appears to have a basic capability .. and it's free.

The $6-8 rentals are for private parties. If you were doing a public performance (bar), you're looking at a different price.

4. Jeff Romard

Jeff Romard Moderator Staff Member

Can you download any in advance with Karafun or is it all hot connection?

5. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

The 2 day and the monthly passes allow 1000 songs to be cached locally. The professional version allows the entire library (27,000 songs) if desired and would be the version to use if the event is public. Unlimited Online Karaoke Subscription | KaraFun

6. rickryan.com

rickryan.com DJ Extraordinaire

You do have access to all 27k on the 2 day pass. You can only cache 1000 locally for offline playing. In my experience, kara's streaming service is rock-solid. Last time I used it I had a spotty cell hotspot and still had no hiccups.

Ruben Mora likes this.
  7. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

Still would make sense to cache many of those 1000 "just in case" .. which is why I still think it's prudent to have a local set of files as well.

Jeff Romard and Ruben Mora like this.
  8. Handinon

Handinon DJ Extraordinaire

To build on what Steve just said, check out this recent thread -
    Legally and Easily Streaming Karaoke

I did exactly what he recommended. I got the SCDG's off of ebay and ripped them to zipped MP3+G files. Works great!

TwinSpinDJ, Ruben Mora and steve149 like this.
  9. Ruben Mora

Ruben Mora Well-Known DJ

Thanks guys!!! I'll do my homework now. I just need to update my controller for a video out connection.

10. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

Actually better to go straight from the laptop via the video out port (VGA/HDMI/Thunderbolt). That way, the video is a "2nd monitor" and you can keep the karaoke controls on the PC and show just the lyrics on the external monitor/projector.

I used to use a VGA splitter and send the image to a 17" monitor for the singers and a 32" monitor for the audience. I've since scaled down and use an older iPad as the singer's monitor using the DUET app.