Legally and Easily Streaming Karaoke

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Handinon

DJ Extraordinaire
Oct 1, 2014
Under extreme pressure from my drunk good friends*, I may have to start doing Karaoke. I have a program that supposedly can play it - Virtual DJ Studio (not VDJ) - but I've never used it as such.

I have no Karaoke songs, I know absolutely Zero about it, and if I do this I'd like to keep my investment minimal at first, which leads me to streaming it.

A quick Google Search brought up KaraFun (that uses it's own player) and "The Karaoke Online Channel". Both have like a 48 hour license, which would be fine if it works and is legal. I'm sure there are others.

Recommendations, or specific Karaoke Websites I should look at?

*Friends bring you bail money to get out of jail. Good friends are sitting next to you in the cell saying "dam, that was fun"!

Karafun is the best karaoke player that I've used. They also have a streaming online service. I think it's like $6 for a 48hr rental period, which gets you their entire online catalog. It's pretty extensive and better still, it actually works (even with a so-so connection).

I have one question:
Is your plan to be a delivery agent of an existing $6 online streaming service?

The task is to deliver a fun, karaoke experience for party guests. This $6 tool is, by far, the best and easiest that I've seen.

Yes, but you're posing this like you were the Christopher Columbus of karaoke.

I see a vision of Christopher mid ocean on the deck of the Santa Maria as he watches a 747 fly overhead. The technology is moving way to fast for this tool you've chosen.

Karafun is the best karaoke player that I've used. They also have a streaming online service. I think it's like $6 for a 48hr rental period, which gets you their entire online catalog. It's pretty extensive and better still, it actually works (even with a so-so connection).

Wow! That's really cool! But is it legal?

I use KaraFun as well. How is technology moving away from it? I typically download any current songs and classics that I would think would get requested and then download the others as requested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's moving away from your concept the same way sailing ships are no longer the way people cross oceans.
Hiring a $xxx DJ to deliver a $6 product is a very short lived business plan.

Who is your ideal customer?
How will they find you?
Do you see a problem with either or both of these answers?

It's moving away from your concept the same way sailing ships are no longer the way people cross oceans.

How will they find you?

It's not a business plan. The OP said his friends have talked him into it and he's looking for a quick (and I presume easy) solution. What I described fits the bill exactly. All you're offering is more argument and your typical combative, condescending attitude. You're an annoyance.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat

How will they find you?

My ideal customer is someone willing to pay for the service. We use it as an add-on to our service. For $75 we bring mic stands for the mics, a separate computer with a monitor for lyrics that is run on another channel on the mixer so we can DJ between songs and the 48 hour license. They don't know what the license costs and shouldn't care. The software allows you to queue up songs on one screen with names of the people and the lyrics being played on another screen. They find us through normal channels for DJs and Karaoke is listed as an additional service.

That is like saying when I go to III Forks or Ruths Chris, why would I get the additional topping on the steak for $10. I know the little bit of mushrooms or blue cheese was probably worth $0.75, so why get it? Actually, I am there for the steak, so I wouldn't top it but that's another story....

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
If you're doing it for fun, I would get the cheap service as Rick mentioned .. but I would ALSO get a basic stand alone library to use. My friends who like karaoke are older, so the songs are older and I don't need much in the way of current hits,

Best value (IMO), is to pick up the 6-pack of Chartbuster E1-E6 450 song packs ( 6 SCDG SET CHARTBUSTER ESSENTIALS 450 KARAOKE SET E1-E6, 2700 SONGS CAVS *SALE* | eBay ) in SCDG format (Super CDG, not regular CDG) and the corresponding SCDG ripper: Power SCDG Ripper: convert SCDG and SCD+G discs to MP3+G or ZIP. .

For $100 or so (and a little time), you'll have 2700 usable songs. Not as good as ripping the standard libraries of CDGs, but a lot less expensive to start.

I have been replacing them with the CDG versions as I find them, but it was a good start. I also bought the remaining E7-E10 sets.

Reactions: ittigger and Ron
Yes, but you're posing this like you were the Christopher Columbus of karaoke.

I see a vision of Christopher mid ocean on the deck of the Santa Maria as he watches a 747 fly overhead. The technology is moving way to fast for this tool you've chosen.

You've shown us the problem so tell us the solution

Maybe it's to add "Pro" before your forum Name ..

Prosteve149

That has a ring to it let me try...

ProJeff Romard....Yup not bad ;)

How will they find you?
My friend used that program before the tavern closed down and it worked just fine. The OP did mention he was new at this and didn't want to spend a lot of money in case it was something he didn't want to do or wasn't working for him.

My ideal customer is someone willing to pay for the service. We use it as an add-on to our service. For $75 we bring mic stands for the mics, a separate computer with a monitor for lyrics that is run on another channel on the mixer so we can DJ between songs and the 48 hour license. They don't know what the license costs and shouldn't care. The software allows you to queue up songs on one screen with names of the people and the lyrics being played on another screen. They find us through normal channels for DJs and Karaoke is listed as an additional service.

That is like saying when I go to III Forks or Ruths Chris, why would I get the additional topping on the steak for $10. I know the little bit of mushrooms or blue cheese was probably worth $0.75, so why get it? Actually, I am there for the steak, so I wouldn't top it but that's another story....

Keep us posted and let us know in 6 months how well this idea has taken off,

Keep us posted and let us know in 6 months how well this idea has taken off,

The steaks? Oh, they are wonderful!! Don't even need to wait 6 months...:laugh:

We added it to our pricing guide that we use when we meet with the customer about a little over a month ago and have 2 bookings that have added it on and several others interested. So far, working well.

Thanks all for the help with this, especially Rick and Steve.

I won the auction for the Chartbuster E1-E6 set, and found a video that shows exactly how to rip them using RoxBox Karaoke File Converter, although I'll probably use the Power SCDG Ripper Steve recommends -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs1_mo-aiwM

It looks like sets E7-E10 are only available in CDG, correct?

This is a lot of music for the money, and it's going to be very interesting to hear what it sounds like vs the Karafun streaming. Yesterday I didn't even know what a Super CD+G was!!

Last edited:
It looks like sets E7-E10 are only available in CDG, correct?

This is a lot of music for the money, and it's going to be very interesting to hear what it sounds like vs the Karafun streaming. Yesterday I didn't even know what a Super CD+G was!!

I believe all of them are also available pre-ripped on SD card.

Reactions: ittigger
Yea, SCDG (Super CDG) never caught on .. it was the brainchild of a couple of the Karaoke machine makers .. hoping to cut down on the number of discs needed and to lock folks into their format. Then MP3+G took off and the need for physical players dropped. I think they had licensing agreements in place for the E1-E6 (and a few others), but their hasn't been anything else released in SCDG.

The Power SCDG ripper worked fine .. I used it for that one day where I ripped all of my SCDG discs (there's a couple other sets .. quality not so great).

Reactions: ittigger