Life/Work Balance of being a Mobile DJ

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
You get a lot out of working - besides money. Validation, socialization, self worth, sense of accomplishment, feeling of being needed and appreciated.

If you're not working, what are you gonna fill your days with?

Maybe grandkids..travel (need the money)..hobbies of all kinds..volunteer work of all kinds. You can 'work' at the library for example -may not be paid but it's a job none the less.

If retirement is such a "need" then why do so many U.S. senators and politicians stay in office until they leave in a coffin?
Why are there so many CEOs that are older than creation?

When someone points out all these "needs" with respect to retirement I can't help wondering whose "needs" are really being met.

Reactions: ittigger
If retirement is such a "need" then why do so many U.S. senators and politicians stay in office until they leave in a coffin?

When someone points out all these "needs" with respect to retirement I can't help wondering whose "needs" are really being met.
Power Corrupts .. and some like to be corrupted.

And what about all those other years where the returns have been there?

Generally speaking they are often not there for you. The previous post citing a real growth of just 2% is the more typical reality. We are quite literally saving for retirement - not investing.

There is no return until you actually cash out and given that it's a retirement account you can't do that until the funds are vested, and you wait out the age threshold. So, while Wall Street is free to move in and out of the market taking profits at will and compensating fund managers for their gains at the maximum time value of the dollar - you're capital is artificially frozen as a prisoner to rules, taxation, and withdrawal penalties that don't apply to the banks that actually realize the returns and dividends you monitor but, may never actually acquire. The time value of money typically offsets your accrued gains because you cannot access them until they have been diminished by years of inflation.

The cycle of financial crises continues to grow larger and more frequent making it less and less likely gains will survive to meet retirement thresholds.

You "need" to invest for retirement because Wall Street has an insatiable appetite for base capital - those funds that stay in the accounts to take the hit while they remove their profits and private equity in the downturns. Your capital is the ideal historical hostage insuring the political expediency of "too big to fail" government bail outs.

There is no such thing as a "complex financial instrument." It's all very simple, indeed.

Last edited:

It sounds like you are suggesting to not plan for retirement because you may not want to

If someone has the ability and the desire to keep working, I think that's great. But there is a big difference between working because you have to and working because you want to.

It makes sense to me to put together a financial plan so you have that option. Of course everyone's need will be different.

Last edited:
You get a lot out of working - besides money. Validation, socialization, self worth, sense of accomplishment, feeling of being needed and appreciated.

If you're not working, what are you gonna fill your days with?

Validation...I get that just with being a DJ
Socialization...I can walk outside and start a conversation with random neighbors if I feel like it.
Self Worth...While I do get to currently tell people I have a new day job, I don't feel any more valueable than I did before having the job
Sense of Accomplishment...I can get that from doing a chore around the house. I feel accomplished when I clean the bathroom out...nobody else does it.
I Feeling of being needed and appreciated....I get that from my son...Most jobs I have had I end up feeling way under appreciated by management.

Plenty of things to fill your day with...#1 would be posting here on ODJT and participating in a bunch of meaningless (Some meaningful) online conversations! You can easily fill your day between this forum, facebook, and maybe 1 or 2 other forums....Every day if you want!

Then there is Exercise...It takes time to exercise. Hunt...Go Fishing...Bicycling. There are plenty of things to do every day which are only limited by your amount of time off, and wether or not the weather outside is good or not. ...You could go volunteer helping out the needy if you want.

Give me a million dollars (after taxes)...I could fill the rest of my days with plenty of things to do, and just DJ a few gigs here and there on the side for the rest of my life.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ

As for Senators if I could work 130 days a year and make 200K plus expenses I`d likely never consider retiring either...CEOs are even better off

There is plenty of work to be done at my cabin.
Wood to split
All kinds of upgrades
Hunting hiking Atv riding
Would love to be there all the time.

There is plenty of work to be done at my cabin.
Wood to split
All kinds of upgrades
Hunting hiking Atv riding
Would love to be there all the time.

If there`s Beer I`d love to offer to come and watch you ;)

IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1839.JPG We use generator power now. Planning on putting solar in.

We do have a blender for margaritas. We usually run that off my friend's truck battery.

View attachment 31514 View attachment 31515 We use generator power now. Planning on putting solar in.

We do have a blender for margaritas. We usually run that off my friend's truck battery.

That's beautiful Scott. We are a bit nomadic we like camping especially in more remote locations but we keep talking about a cabin sometime in the next few years.

My buddy has a cabin in a very remote location he and I go there a couple of times a year just to get away. There is electricity but the heat is from a wood stove. it's nestled between 2 mountains and there is no cellphone signal for about 5 or 6 miles in either direction. You can feel your blood pressure dropping as you get closer :)

Reactions: Scott Hanna
At ours, you have to take an ATV to the top of the hill, about a mile, to get cell signal no signal at the cabin. It's great

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I used to camp when I was younger and it took me years to convince my wife to go so a couple of years ago we got some gear and I took her to the middle pf nowhere. I figured if I did that and she survived anything else would be a easy ride lol. She loved it and the kids loved it so now we do rough camping at least one weekend a year and a campground a couple of times.

I do see buying a cabin in the next few years